TDI
Jetta TDI/DSG
Found more Information

DATE: 24th. January 2007 VIN:- W VW ZZZ 1KZ 7M 071464
Name: Ronald George SLOANE
Year: 2007
Make: VW
Model: Jetta Sedan (RHD) January 2007 Australian Compliance Plate
Options- Shadow Blue - Vienna Leather(pure beige) Bi Xenon H/Lights with H/L washers Sun Roof - Alloy Accelerator, Brake Pedal Kit -​
Anti Collision ( LED )Daytime Nordic Day lights.

Date of auto production: - "Nov 06"
Engine code: BKD 5011347 2.0 liter TDI
Transmission Code: - “ HXS"
Date of DSG Production: - “30 - 09 - 06”
Purchased, New : - 24th.Jan 2007 ( ordered 19th.July 2006 -6 months wait time)
Kilometers:- 12 kilometers at Dealer delivery
Current miles: - "30th.March. 2009-"30100 Kilometers"
Area of country: - “ Wishart/Brisbane/Queensland/Australia Now at Mudgeeraba Gold Coast Queensland
Fuel Statistics: - "On first drive home computer showed 8.3litres/100.
Now Computer shows 6.0litres/100Km or US 39 mpg" after 9006 kilometers.Seems to have settled on this figure. Fuel used over 15,000kilometres = 1000 litres of ULSD Diesel
Egine Oil Consumption over the first 15,000 Kilometers 0.80 litre.
Carried out First Service myself, Oil "ELF" Excellium DID 5W40 Car had no warranty faults.
Metro Driving/Sub Tropical 30C Temperature-60% daytime - 40% night driving - air conditioner alway on 22c.setting
OEM Tires:- Hankook "Venus S1 evo - K107" 205/50ZR16.
Running pressures PSI 35lbs/sq.in.Front, Rear 32lbs/sq.in.

Went Interstate 5th March, 2686 kilometer run, Brisbane Sydney Dubbo Coonamble returned on 12th.March to Brisbane, 8 days with stopovers. A/C on 22C 50/50 night and day driving OAT 21.6C to 38C mainly Highway speeds 120 Kilometers per hour cruise @ 6.5/100 fuel consumption.
Off again on another Brisbane to Sydney run on 13th.April now fitted with Garmin "Nuvi 660" sat/nav,speed and red light camera warnings "On", weather a little cooler now around 25c. Fuel consumption now down to 5.5litres/100klms. Getting 1000 kilometers out of the 55 litre fuel tank on quick interstate drives.
DSG giving impeccable performance, just love it after 57 years of manuals. Now living on the Gold Coast Queensland Australia. Speedo now showing over 30,000 klms, no problems never had VW do any of the sevices at 15,000 or 30,000, completed all checks and changes myself.
Planning trip to the Queensland Outback in 14 days (3000 Klms) Emerald, Winton (the home of "Waltzing Matilda) - Longreach ( the Stockman's Hall of Fame & The Qantas Museum) and Barcaldine (the Tree of Knowlege where the Labour Party was formed) then back home. Should be agreat run for a great car

Last edited:

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
DATE: 2-2-07
Name: Not likely
Year: 2006
Model: Jetta
Date of auto production: -
Engine code:
Transmission Code: -
Date of DSG Production: -
Purchased, New or Used: NEW
Miles when purchased: 13
Current miles: - 15,000
Area of country: - South cental USA
Fuel Statistics: - 49mpg with 4 people and luggage going 500 miles

Last edited:

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
DATE:02/08/2007
Name: Marauderer
Year:2006
Make:VW
Date of auto production:
Engine code: BRM
Transmission Code: HXU
Date of DSG Production:
Purchased, New or Used: New
Miles when purchased: 16
Current miles: 2300
Area of country: Southeast USA
Fuel Statistics:

The shift progaming in"D" is way short, 1400 rpm, which has been already stated. Same for a shift pattern in the middle of D and S. When cold 30sF you have to wait for pressure to build at least 30 seconds or the transmission doesn't want to engage.

Last edited:

jonjon

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDi Black with tan leather
Service guys don't know this needs to be done at 40K

TeDeEye1 said:
I just took my car in for the 40,000 mile service. When I went back to pick it up I noticed that they did not charge me for the DSG fluid change. I went to ask the mechanic about it and he said it only gets done at 100, 000 according to his schooling for the Audi's. I showed him the book and he was puzzled. he checked with VW and they so much as told him to just check the condition of the fluid and only change it if it looked dirty. So he is going to check it next week. I ask if this was going to cause my warranty to be voided if the tranny went south and he said they said no. This has been recorded in the service record they keep so I have proof.
If anyone out there can get their hands on an Audi handbook for one with a DSG I would love to hear what is say the service interval is.
I will keep you posted as to the outcome of the fluid test.
We took our 2005.5 Jetta TDI in to get it's 40K service yesterday..Asked the guy how much and he quoted me "between 450-500" okay fine. They called me and told me the car was ready. I had mentioned some problem with the shifting of the transmission and they said they could not replicate it. I then asked if they did change the oil and he said "no, it's a sealed unit and does not require service" I told him it's right in the owners manual and he continued to argue. I had the VW website up and shows it there..STill argued. He then said he would go and talk to the mechanic. He called back thirty minutes later and said the same thing. Meanwhile I had VWOA on the phone and at first the gal said the same thing and I told her "look down further on your list" and sure enough, she found it. She said she would call the dealer. He called me later rather sheepish and told me they would take care of it and I can pick it up today. Just for fun I called the other dealer here in the Austin Tx area and I made sure to tell the guy the car had the DSG trans. He quoted me the same thing..I asked him if the transmission oil was included and he said "No, VW automatics normally don't require service" so I then told him what I knew..He said it was not on his "menu" so he would have to call me back. About ten minutes later he called and left me a message (I was again on the phone with VWOA) and told me the service was $450.00 in addition to the 480.00!
So....I am wondering if my service price is going to double when i go to pick up this car..I find it ridiculous the dealers don't even know what needs to be done on these cars and like I told the gal at VW I wonder how many services they have performed not doing this service sending unknowing customers out without service needed for warranty..And WHY would VW have a transmission that needs to be serviced so often at such a price...When you look at the price to service these cars the great mileage soon becomes unimportant..40K service at a thousand dollars? Sheesh..
John

jonjon

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDi Black with tan leather
Service guys don't know this needs to be done at 40K

TeDeEye1 said:
I just took my car in for the 40,000 mile service. When I went back to pick it up I noticed that they did not charge me for the DSG fluid change. I went to ask the mechanic about it and he said it only gets done at 100, 000 according to his schooling for the Audi's. I showed him the book and he was puzzled. he checked with VW and they so much as told him to just check the condition of the fluid and only change it if it looked dirty. So he is going to check it next week. I ask if this was going to cause my warranty to be voided if the tranny went south and he said they said no. This has been recorded in the service record they keep so I have proof.
If anyone out there can get their hands on an Audi handbook for one with a DSG I would love to hear what is say the service interval is.
I will keep you posted as to the outcome of the fluid test.
We took our 2005.5 Jetta TDI in to get it's 40K service yesterday..Asked the guy how much and he quoted me "between 450-500" okay fine. They called me and told me the car was ready. I had mentioned some problem with the shifting of the transmission and they said they could not replicate it. I then asked if they did change the oil and he said "no, it's a sealed unit and does not require service" I told him it's right in the owners manual and he continued to argue. I had the VW website up and shows it there..STill argued. He then said he would go and talk to the mechanic. He called back thirty minutes later and said the same thing. Meanwhile I had VWOA on the phone and at first the gal said the same thing and I told her "look down further on your list" and sure enough, she found it. She said she would call the dealer. He called me later rather sheepish and told me they would take care of it and I can pick it up today. Just for fun I called the other dealer here in the Austin Tx area and I made sure to tell the guy the car had the DSG trans. He quoted me the same thing..I asked him if the transmission oil was included and he said "No, VW automatics normally don't require service" so I then told him what I knew..He said it was not on his "menu" so he would have to call me back. About ten minutes later he called and left me a message (I was again on the phone with VWOA) and told me the service was $450.00 in addition to the 480.00!
So....I am wondering if my service price is going to double when i go to pick up this car..I find it ridiculous the dealers don't even know what needs to be done on these cars and like I told the gal at VW I wonder how many services they have performed not doing this service sending unknowing customers out without service needed for warranty..And WHY would VW have a transmission that needs to be serviced so often at such a price...When you look at the price to service these cars the great mileage soon becomes unimportant..40K service at a thousand dollars? Sheesh..
John

TeDeEye1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI Premium
jonjon said:
John
Well I just got mine done finally. After the mechanic looked into it further he realized that all the owners manuals for VW DSG's say every 40,000. so they ordered the fluid and filter but it took a month to come in????. Anyway it is done and the price I paid was under 300 for the whole thing. I do agree with you about the price and the frequency. I wish I had access to the real information about these transmissions.
BTW, That was done at SUD's in Normal IL. in case you want to refer them to a dealer.
I can't imagine anyone leaving a VW dealership with out checking what was done to their car. but Your right, If I hadn't I would have never known, until it was too late probably.

mannyaplus11

TDI
2006 Jetta
DATE: March 1, 2007
Name: Mannyaplus11

Make: Jetta
Model: TDI
Date of auto production: - Novemeber 2005
Engine code: RRM
Purchased, New or Used: Used
Miles when purchased: 15,700
Current miles: - 17,200
Area of country: - Southwest USA, Los Angeles, CA
Fuel Statistics: - 52.9/47/33
List dates of any problems and or resolutions: None, so far

powerstroke444e

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi dgs
DATE:3/2/2007
Name:Jesse
Model: Jetta TDI Package 1 with17" wheels
Date of auto production: -To Follow
Engine code: Crap Dealer did not fill in
Miles when purchased: 7
Current miles: - "32,000"
Area of country: - Springfield IL"
Fuel Statistics: -actual 42.5 average 75% highway Best trip 41.5 mpg Springfield il TO Gatlingburg TN average speed 94.7mph GOT to love the smokers.

Not a single problem with the trans but when the Local GREEN dealer for first change oil they broke a vacum line & they would not fix & I had to, paid for a tire rotate & they never rotated the tires as one rim is scuffed & it was in the same location thus I had to rotate my tires dealer said tuff s*%^.

New to Site but only live & breath smokers all my life
"If it don't smoke It's Broke"

Last edited:

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
jonjon said:
I find it ridiculous the dealers don't even know what needs to be done on these cars and like I told the gal at VW I wonder how many services they have performed not doing this service sending unknowing customers out without service needed for warranty..And WHY would VW have a transmission that needs to be serviced so often at such a price...When you look at the price to service these cars the great mileage soon becomes unimportant..40K service at a thousand dollars? Sheesh..
Add that to the fact the alot of VW dealerships are TOO STUPID to use the correct oil in the PD-TDI. I see the values of VW TDI dropping like a Jag x-type.

So in 120k you be out several fuel filters, DSG service, timing belt, and having to deal with ignorant dealers. Compare that to a Prius and wonder why people buy a hybrid over a new VW?

wmahaffey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
03_01_TDI said:
Compare that to a Prius and wonder why people buy a hybrid over a new VW?
Do you know of anyone who has had to repace a battery pack in any of the hybrid's? I cannot even get anyone to give me a price.

Bill

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
wmahaffey said:
Do you know of anyone who has had to repace a battery pack in any of the hybrid's? I cannot even get anyone to give me a price.

Bill
Nope its been some time since I visited a hybrid chat board. But I know of lots of TDI that has had bad turbos or shotty timing belt jobs that were very costly.

BusinessWeek magazine reports that when the U.S. Department of Energy investigated hybrid batteries, it stopped its tests “when the capacity remained almost like new — after 160,000 miles.”

ntspeed

TDI
'05 Passat TDI Wagon, '06 Jetta TDI Special Edition Diesel
Jetta DSG

Date: 03/21/07
Name: ntspeed
Model: Jetta, Special Diesel Edition
VIN: 3VWCT71K
Date of auto production: 12/06
Date of DSG Production: 09/12/06
Miles when purchased: 12
Current miles: 1060
Area of country: Houston area
Fuel Statistics: 40/38/36.5

DSG operates nicely & seems very consistant. I love it!

Last edited:

mavsguy842

TDI
None
AutoStick/DSG comparison

I currently drive a 2000 Dodge Stratus with a 4speed AutoStick, and it's definitely not the most reliable transmission, and very expensive to have repaired. I'm wondering how reliable in the long run the DSG will be, and if anyone has had to have a rebuild, and how much that would cost. I've always liked an automatic, but I don't want to get stuck with another transmission that could become an expensive problem quickly.

Matt

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GL Passat & '05 GLS Passat & '05 Beetle TDI
DATE: 4/29/07
Name:
Dick Larimore
Year: 2005
Make: Beetle
Model: TDI
Date of auto production: - August 2004
Engine code: BEW
Transmission Code: - HLJ
Date of
DSG Production: -
Miles when purchased: 0
Current miles: - 21000
Area of country: - Central Indiana
Fuel Statistics: - avg 38
List dates of any problems and or resolutions: One winter cold startup the Beetle would not move forward or backwards. Restarted vehicle 3 times and has worked without incident since. My maintenance manual shows no fluid replacement intervals for the DSG.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid

3dfx

TDI
VW Touran 2.0TDI BKD
DATE: 04.05.2007
Name: 3dfx
Year: 2004
Model: Touran
Date of auto production: - 04.2004

Engine code: BKD
Transmission Code: - GYP
Date of DSG Production: - unknown
Current miles: - 60000km.
Area of country: - Europe, Bulgaria

Well. It all was ok for about 60k kilometres (about 40k miles) until one day the gearbox section of the dashboard display started blinking, and the DSG disengaged... The problem is in the mechatronic unit, which (as far as I know) is not servicable and needs to be replaced. With a price of EUR2100 (USD2900) it's quite an unpleasant repair... And the vehicle is no longer under warranty...

Edit: Would someone of you, please, check the price of this mechatronic unit in his country?

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
3dfx said:
Well. It all was ok for about 60k kilometres (about 40k miles) until one day the gearbox section of the dashboard display started blinking, and the DSG disengaged... The problem is in the mechatronic unit, which (as far as I know) is not servicable and needs to be replaced. With a price of EUR2100 (USD2900) it's quite an unpleasant repair... And the vehicle is no longer under warranty...
OUCH! Makes me glad to have a tip in my Passat...

Tom_P

TDI
Jetta 2006
DATE: May/17/07
Model: Jetta TDI
Date of auto production: - Oct 2006
Engine code: "in your manual"
Transmission Code: - “located in owners manual next to engine code
Date of DSG Production: - “ located on top of trans just below and beside the battery – is visible with flashlight”
Purchased, New or Used:
Miles when purchased: 11
Current miles: - " 3,703 "
Area of country: - “ West, Puerto Rico "
Fuel Statistics: - " 42MPG

Last edited:

Ed-TDI

TDI
2006.5 Jetta, 2005 Passat Wagon
Jetta Diesel Edition

Date:05/25/2007
Name:Ed_TDI
Model:Jetta
Date of auto production: November 30,2006
Date of DSG Production: 066/31/08/06
Miles when purchased: 35
Current miles: 394
Area of country: Northeast USA
Fuel Statistics: Too soon to tell...

Runs great, love this car!

Last edited:

xtreem

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Date:07/16/2007
Name:xtreem
Year:2006.5
Model:Jetta TDI SE
Date of auto production: 10.06
Date of DSG Production: 26/07/06
Miles when purchased: 211
Current miles: 1900
Area of country: Southeast USA
Fuel Statistics: avg 36

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
DATE: 7/16/2007
Name: 10then34
Date of auto production: - 06/01
Transmission Code: - DSG
Purchased, New or Used: 4/07
Miles when purchased: 24500
Current miles: - 33400
Area of country: - plains
Fuel Statistics: - " 48/45/43
List dates of any problems and or resolutions:
everything was well and good until the DMF came apart and knocked a hole in the transmission housing. waiting for the dealer to put it back together tomorrow.....
Got the car back. All seems well. Even the slight shudder when coming to a stop that I considered par for the course disappeared.

Last edited:

laurabug

TDI
2006 New Beetle
DATE:Aug 26, 2007
Name: laurabug
Model: New Beetle
Date of auto production: - Sep 2006
Engine code: BEW (?)
Transmission Code: - ?
Date of DSG Production: - Don't know, it's at the stealership.
Miles when purchased: 12
Current miles: - 7,383
Area of country: - New Hampshire
Fuel Statistics: - avg 44.56 mpg

Occasional shudder upon moving from stop; lots of rollback, forward and reverse (have had as much as 2 feet). At dealer right now, waiting for repair; car surged, then died on highway yesterday, will update post if it is a DSG related problem, remove info if not.

fjburns

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
DATE:8/31/07
Name: Jeff
Model: Jetta TDI
Date of auto purchase: - 4/24/06
Transmission Code: - HXU
Date of DSG Production: - “ beside the battery – 13/02/06”
Purchased, New
Miles when purchased: 97
Current miles: - "24600"
Area of country: - mid Atlantic USA
Fuel Statistics: - 42 mpg

Love this car better than the
79 VW rabbit,
85 VW Golf,
or 97 VW Jetta GL.

CSL06TDI

TDI
'06 Platinum Gray Pkg 2
Date:09/07/2007
Name:Clark
Model:Jetta TDI Pkg 2
Date of auto production: 9/05
Transmission Code:
Date of DSG Production:
Miles when purchased: 20
Current miles: 78,000
Area of country: Illinois
Fuel Statistics: 40 mpg

Currently need new DSG transmission at a cost of $6,030. It is beleived that the DMF blew out and took out the tranny. Started having studdering problems (rough idle) at 55k. symptoms slowly got worse. DSG operates fine at speed. the only problems are at idle and decelarating at low rpms.

gstdi

TDI
06.5 TDI Diesel Edition
Date:10/01/07
Name:gstdi
Year:2006.5
Model:Jetta TDI SE
Date of auto production: 11.06
Transmission Code: Not sure
Date of DSG Production: Not sure how to tell
Miles when purchased: 555
Current miles: 4466
Area of country: South Central US
Fuel Statistics: 41-43

First DSG transmission, and so far all is well (knock on wood). It does have its "moments" where it doesn't seem to know what it wants to do, and I do have the "shudder" at around 1900 rpm in 2nd. Jetta replaces a Honda Element, which got at best, 19mpg. :)

unixgolf

DATE:10/19/2007
Name:unixgolf
Make:VW JettaV
Model: TDI- DSG pkg2
Date of auto production: - " usually month and year " unless you know the day
Transmission Code: - HQN
Date of DSG Production: - “ located on top of trans just below and beside the battery – is visible with flashlight”
Miles when purchased: 20km
Current miles: - 29,000km
Area of country: - Canada, Quebec, Montreal
Fuel Statistics: - 5.0l/100km hwy, 8.0l/100km city
==

I will update the rest as I locate it.
For me D mode of the tranny is great to get a good milleage and in the winter, as the wheels spin less. The problem I'm having is backing up my driveway, when cold start (winter is worse) the engine comes close to a stall, no power. In the long run I'm not sure how reliable the DSG will be.
==

Update : It appears that I had 1/2 a litre too much oil in the tranny, I'll see if it fixes the problem.

Last edited:

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Don't have the TDI anymore but my R32 has DSG so I'll have to put up a new entry with all the info. I'll try to get a scan this weekend some time. DSG is definitely different in the R32 compared to my TDI though!