2003 Passat W8/BHW 2.0Tdi Swap

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Wow I'll love to see the car in person!! Except for the coal rolling (IMHO), congrats on a great build! Awesome fabrication work!

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
Come see it !! And belive it or not it does not smoke at all when driving these pd engines are wierd i can floor it in any gear no smoke. But it nuetral free reving it will. I use to love smoke. Now i hate it. Because it make a mess of a nice car

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
All looks great.
Kind of makes me wish I had held out for a Passat wagon vs my jetta wagon to swap.

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
An order of magnitude or so better than the welds I'm currently doing for my Audi, lol.

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys That exhaust was the worst part of the swap but it was rewarding. And i love the sound. It has no drone at all. And still has a nice exhaust sound

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
Yes. I'm using the stock 2010 immo deleted ECU as standalone. When I first get it on the road, it won't have cruise, but the next project is building a CAN interface that lets me feed the ECU a VSS signal as it expects. That and give standard outputs for RPM etc.

For the time being, I'm keeping the stock 2.7 ECU as well. I'm feeding it data from the TDI so it thinks it's running an engine. I added a 60/2 reluctor wheel behind the damper to feed it engine position, and it'll throw codes, but survive without cam position. Once running, I'll make a how-to out of my wiring notes and post them up here.

You guys are going to get a real kick out of my turbo plumbing. I kept the stock for now, but it points the wrong direction, so I had to get a little creative.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
nice swap, I am guessing this would be pretty much the same if starting with a V6/4motion/auto?

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
W8 Passat to TDI

What's become of this?

Machineman, did you end up having to change any ECU pins at all for the BHW connection?

What did you end up having to fabricate (beside what's listed here on your thread already)?

I am looking at a couple of W8s right now, one sedan that's running great with 189,000 miles on it (I drove it, and drove it hard and fast), 1 owner, $2200.

The other is a wagon with 108,000 miles and is making the cam adjuster noise. Could get it for $1500 or less. That cam adjuster noise, though, is fixable. These engines - based on doing a lot of reading about them - aren't the POSs everyone says. Fitzki points out here
that they have two problems. There are more, but there are two known weak points The fixes are here: this first one is kind of amazing
http://www.w8forum.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1196&PN=1&title=found-camshaft-adjuster-fix
and the 2nd one is here:
http://www.w8forum.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1537&title=diy-thermostat

As I mull this over and read Otty's swap info and your thread here, machineman, (which I don't mean to hijack), others' input would be appreciated.

It's all a bit lunatic, but then....:D

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Still trying to figure out why the halogen high beams won't come on on my W8 swap. One possibility just occurred to me: I used the cluster from the engine donor car, not the W8. Any chance there is something different in the W8 cluster for the dual (xenon and halogen) high beam?

Just throwing it out there.... checked the halogen bulbs, they are fine. Running out of ideas...

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Which light switch do you have installed, the 2 or 3 position? If it is 2 position that may be the issue

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I have the W8 switch - two positions left to right and two notches to pull out. I have also tried a euroswitch. Still no halogen high beams. I am also wondering if I am missing a relay or have the wrong relay. I know we removed some and switched some as part of the swap...

stp359

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 4motion tdi 6speed
I have the W8 switch - two positions left to right and two notches to pull out. I have also tried a euroswitch. Still no halogen high beams. I am also wondering if I am missing a relay or have the wrong relay. I know we removed some and switched some as part of the swap...
From what it says in the diagrams, there is an additional relay for the high beams. Do you have access to the diagrams?

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the Bentley book but never had much luck reading them. A page number might help, I can't find the headlight wiring in there for the W8. Or could you send me the diagram? Thanks!

stp359

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 4motion tdi 6speed
I have the Bentley book but never had much luck reading them. A page number might help, I can't find the headlight wiring in there for the W8. Or could you send me the diagram? Thanks!
No prob. Inbox with your email.

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
hello everyone sorry for not replying to your questions. i havent had much time to get on here i have been very busy with my newly started business. i ended up selling the car june of 2015 . it was a great car. i just wanted a audi

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
What's become of this?

Machineman, did you end up having to change any ECU pins at all for the BHW connection?

What did you end up having to fabricate (beside what's listed here on your thread already)?

I am looking at a couple of W8s right now, one sedan that's running great with 189,000 miles on it (I drove it, and drove it hard and fast), 1 owner, $2200.

The other is a wagon with 108,000 miles and is making the cam adjuster noise. Could get it for $1500 or less. That cam adjuster noise, though, is fixable. These engines - based on doing a lot of reading about them - aren't the POSs everyone says. Fitzki points out here
that they have two problems. There are more, but there are two known weak points The fixes are here: this first one is kind of amazing
http://www.w8forum.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1196&PN=1&title=found-camshaft-adjuster-fix
and the 2nd one is here:
http://www.w8forum.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1537&title=diy-thermostat

As I mull this over and read Otty's swap info and your thread here, machineman, (which I don't mean to hijack), others' input would be appreciated.

It's all a bit lunatic, but then....:D

i had to change some pins but noting overly time consuming some of the rain tray connector pins were changed.

i had to fabricate noting really other than a custom speedometer sending unit because the b7 audi tranny is speed via CANBUS there is no speedsensor othe than that most parts are from NA b5.5 BHW.

and no the w8s are not to bad considering the complex nature of the engine .

let me know if you have any ??