TDI to '87 Yota 4runner

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base

Both engine mounts completed, now it's time to get this thing sat down into the bay. My goal is to drive this from clarksville, tn to Conneaut, Ohio on the 18th of December

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
where are you putting the AC compressor then?

SouthBendClutch makes a very good, light pedal clutch that has held up to my power mods in mine.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Ordered a clutch from marlin need to call them tomorrow thanks for the reminder! And there won't be A/c just the stock compressor turned into a air compressor

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well ran into the same oil pan issue that jimbote had so I was going to SAS the yota anyways might as well do it sooner then later I guess lol drove 4hrs total today for this dirty birdy

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Well ran into the same oil pan issue that jimbote had so I was going to SAS the yota anyways might as well do it sooner then later I guess lol drove 4hrs total today for this dirty birdy
sweet!... i seriously considered going SAS on my truck but it'll never be more than a utility 4x4 ... i do have some highsteer arms if you're interested (cheap! ;))

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base

And it's out time to start cleaning frame up of all the unneeded garbage...this frame is already looking bare, I'm going to be making my own swap kit I can't see paying $200 for a couple pieces of metal welded together and some shackles made from cheap steel?

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
And this I how my thanks giving went lol

Now ya see it...

Now ya don't lol...

Then it was back to working on the Toyota ;)

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Small world, I'm from Andover, Ohio. I've owned several Yotas over the years, had one with a small block, we used to go wheelin up at Hogsback and Baldwin pond. Would love to get another rust free late 80's Yota to play around with, and I always thought a mechanical 4bt would be the cats meow, but a TDI would be a sweet choice Too. Sweet project, have fun with it!

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Thanks man, 4bt is just too heavy for what I want, and the fuel economy to power ratio just isnt worth it either.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Thanks man, 4bt is just too heavy for what I want, and the fuel economy to power ratio just isnt worth it either.
agreed!.... the 4b weighs almost exactly double that of a fully accessorized 1.9, can fracture your teeth with vibrations and send drive through attendees running for cover :eek: ...with just a tune and injectors you can nearly match the torque output and eclipse the power of a stock 4B ... the 4b is a sweet swap for larger rigs though, i'd like to see an old kaiser 4b swapped ;)....

Last edited:

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
For a daily driver the TDI is the choice...I was talking more for wheeling purposes where the extra torque to turn some 38's or 42's would be welcome. Fuel economy isn't so important in those conditions ;)

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
...with just a tune and injectors you can nearly match the torque output and eclipse the power of a stock 4B ... ....
Very true but there is also a lot of free power available with a few simple adjustments in a 4B.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
I think you are referring to the Isuzu 4BD2T engine, and that is a subjective comparison. The big downer for those engines for me is the fact they are indirect injection engines. Power and torque are very similar between the Isuzu and Cummins, but the 4bt can generally be had for less due to their widespread use. The 4BD2T aren't nearly as common and likewise with parts availability. If I had to choose an Isuzu engine, it would be the 4BD1T for it's direct injection design but they are even harder to come by than the D2T.

None of that really matters though, because you have chosen a very worthy engine that is better suited for your uses than either of those platforms :) I'm actually pretty jealous of your conversion, it's going to be a sweet ride when all said and done. I used to be heavy in the rock crawling and hill climbing scene but that all went away when we started a family. My kids will be grown up in the next 5 years and I have been thinking long and hard on building another toy, and something like this has always been at the top of my list.

Last edited:

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
For sure I'm hoping to have it done by the 18th of December which is looking semi doable and if so I'll hit you up when I get to Ohio and you can take a look at it lol

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well new marlin 1600# clutch came in today. So I'll be putting everything back in together, and getting the frame side of the engine mounts redone now that my originals had to come out with the ifs crap.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well check gearing on my solid axle tonight and wouldn't you know the guy lied about the gearing...bbbuuutttt had a guy come buy the original toyota hubs from me tonight and he has the exactly same axle with the gears i need, and the one i have right now has the gears he needs so we're gonna do a 1 for 1 tomorrow after I get out of work! So yay me lol

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Well check gearing on my solid axle tonight and wouldn't you know the guy lied about the gearing...bbbuuutttt had a guy come buy the original toyota hubs from me tonight and he has the exactly same axle with the gears i need, and the one i have right now has the gears he needs so we're gonna do a 1 for 1 tomorrow after I get out of work! So yay me lol
turn and count!...I do it on every diff and axle I buy...no surprises ;)

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well didn't get any work done it tonight flew all night for work =\ but to start the day out ****ty I came out to my jeep to find the hood up, and my ECU gone! So there's $200 I don't have to spend..

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well after 20 days of waiting on my damn parts my high steer kit finally came in for the solid axle swap, just a heads up don't order from www.4wheelparts.com they are garbage unless you don't care about how long it takes for your parts to get there...

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Picked up a spare tire carrier last night traded an old snap-on tool box I had no use for, for the tire carrier from a humvee(1165) gonna have to redrill for the 6 lug wheels and get a rear bumper or make one to accommodate it but it should be pretty sweet once it's done!

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well while I was back home in Ohio I corrected a couple mistakes Volkswagen made ;)

Then fixed another mistake they made this is now a 1 piece no weld race pipe..

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well I've been working my ass off lately so I haven't had time to update this or do anything on the truck so hopefully tonight I'll get a little bit done on her even if it's something simple trying to stay motivated to work on it is very hard lol

frozenplum4

TDI
none for now
Did you make your mounts solid? Or is there some kind of dampener in there. It's really late so I might be missing something obvious