TDI Samurai, getting ready for first start

cepdave

TDI
14 Jetta, Samurai TDI Conversion in process
Hey Everyone,

I have been lurking here for many years but have been inactive for a couple years. So long, in fact, I forgot my original username. I have owned several VW diesels, starting with an 8x rabbit, 9x Jetta TD, 08 Jetta TDI and now have a 14 Jetta TDI.

I purchased a Samurai about a year ago for $500 and started to rebuild the 1.3l engine. I then decided to swap a TDI into it.

I purchased the engine about 6 months ago, it's a 98 AHU. It supposedly has 86k on it.

I now have the engine in sammy and am starting to do the wiring. I would like to start it but am having second thoughts. Should I start it, just enough to make it run and then change the timing belt? ---OR--- Should I change the timing belt and then start it? Chicken or Egg?

My thought is that it will be much easier to tell if I have done the timing belt correctly if I knew it ran before installing the belt. If I install the belt now, I may be in for a nightmare trying to figure out why it doesn't run. Belt, wiring, fuel, etc???

I'm also curious if there is someone lurking who would/could do the timing belt for me at my house? I have done timing belts before but not on a TDI. I really would prefer someone with the experience and tools do this for me. Or at least hang out and help. I'm willing to pay with cash and/or beer, it just depends on level of support. :p I live in southern NH.

I have turned it over with the a breaker bar and with the starter. It seems good so far. I'm a little worried because it seems the belt is loose after turning it with the starter. There appears to be no clanking or anything like that.

BTW.... it was pretty difficult to turn with the breaker bar. I suspect this motor hasn't been started in a year or possibly many years. Just don't know. I was told it ran great when pulled. It was under a tarp in a driveway when I bought it, just don't know how long it sat like that.

I would love to hear your ideas.

Here are some pix. Please go easy on me, I do have an intercooler, just not installed yet. Plan on doing it nicely by welding and polishing up all the tubes. That stuff comes after I know it runs. :eek: :confused:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Since you already installed the engine I would get running before changing it out. Where in NH? I'm in Manchester.

cepdave

TDI
I'm in merrimack.

That's my thinking too. Right now I'm going through wiring harness he'll. ��
I'm not sure which is MAF sensor and which is TPS. Both have the same 6 pin connector but harness only seems to have one 6-pin connector.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I'm putting a TDI in a toyota, I was into Samurais a few years ago. Love those things. I'm also working on my harness. If you are getting a tune you can tune out the EGR and MAF to simplify things.
Before you remove the timing belt, make sure you mark TDC for the crank or you will be hosed. ;)
Any more pics of the Sami? Those are hard to find for $500 now

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Timing belt is easy to minimize; "I'll get to it later and it will be okay..."
The only problem is when it's not.
If it hasn't started in a year-- or more-- there are a lot of factors not in its favor. You need to change it anyway. Preventative with this is always better than the alternative. In my book anyway.

Look at the tensioner. The date is on it. If it's original, it just seems like you're asking for it. If it's newer you can feel better about it... My 2¢ anyway.

Cheers to a cool swap!

Andrew

cepdave

TDI
Not sure how many of you have been following some of my other posts, so he's a quick update.

I finally have it all wired up in a temporary mess of wires. I will clean up the wiring once I get it running. I'm able to communicate with the computer so it looks like all is pretty good for where I stand today.

I'm having some problems with the starter, it just doesn't have enough oomph to turn the motor over fast enough to start it. I've tried two different starters to no avail. I suspect I'm getting voltage drop through the wire from the battery to the starter or through the ground. I'm planning on sorting that out tonight, or at least eliminating it from the list of things to check for.

Cheers!
David

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Are your starters new or used? The one I got from the junkyard was really weak too, and wouldn't crank it anywhere near fast enough to start it. I didn't want to buy a new starter because I wasn't sure if it was the starter either, so I watched this video on youtube, and that's where I got the idea to clean everything up. I just used steel wool, electrical contact cleaner, and those blue shop towels, it was amazing how much gunk came off all the parts. After putting some grease on the gears, I reassembled it, and tried it out, and it works great now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4TkfMWb3ys

cepdave

TDI
Are your starters new or used? The one I got from the junkyard was really weak too, and wouldn't crank it anywhere near fast enough to start it. I didn't want to buy a new starter because I wasn't sure if it was the starter either, so I watched this video on youtube, and that's where I got the idea to clean everything up. I just used steel wool, electrical contact cleaner, and those blue shop towels, it was amazing how much gunk came off all the parts. After putting some grease on the gears, I reassembled it, and tried it out, and it works great now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4TkfMWb3ys
That's awesome. I have one new starter off a manual tracker and a used one off an auto. I'm going to clean the auto one up to see if it gets me anywhere. GREAT FIND.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
You did remember to cut up the old engine spacer plate and use it for the starter didn't you? My starter had issues with not cranking properly and getting stuck until I removed it and installed that little spacer. Also, I have been told the auto has more torque or whatever than the manual starter, but I've never actually found anything that specifically says that, just been told that.

cepdave

TDI
You did remember to cut up the old engine spacer plate and use it for the starter didn't you? My starter had issues with not cranking properly and getting stuck until I removed it and installed that little spacer. Also, I have been told the auto has more torque or whatever than the manual starter, but I've never actually found anything that specifically says that, just been told that.
Initially I left it out but added it in to eliminate the possibility that it was causing problems.

Now that I'm using the gear reduced starter, I'm seeing interference between the turbo oil return and the starter. Did you have this problem. I know there are a few different oil return lines.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, I knew it was going to be a problem from day one. I bought an AAZ manifold, and made a little adapter plate to fit the stock turbo on correctly. For the oil return line, I bought it off a member on here, it's for a stock ahu, and it's unusually, but it fits perfectly for some odd reason. I'm not complaining though!

cepdave

TDI
I just found a 1749v VNT turbo, brand new, in box for $100.00. Seems like an easy upgrade for later. Should I buy it??? It also looks like it will make the exhaust easier.

How difficult (or expensive) is it to reprogram the ECM? Would I need to change the injectors?

Current setup is AHU with stock GT15, I'm finding it difficult to find a downpipe so have been thinking the turbo swap would be at least no more difficult than building a custom downpipe flange.

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
That turbo should be viewed with extreme suspicion. Is it from Prothe? If it is run away. If it isn't, I'd still recommend running away unless you can confirm 100% it was made from a reputable shop.

cepdave

TDI
Hmmm,,,, wasn't even thinking this could be a rebuilt turbo. That would make a lot more sense than a brand new one. Hoping it's brand new in a BW box. :)

Will let you know my findings.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Fundamentally, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
You get what you pay for.
There is no free lunch.
There is always a catch.
(Insert your favorite expression here)

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet