LCD display vanished

that98TDIthough

TDI
1998 Jetta
Hi guys, next problem I'd like to solve...

98 TDI Jetta

I've only owned and driven this car ~700 miles.

Clock and Odometer display seems to come and go. Mostly go...

Been gone for the past few hundred miles now.

I've done some reading/research on this site this eve, but, haven't found the silver bullet yet on how to fix this. Sound like maybe a cracked solder point?

I found the steps to remove the cluster. I can do that. I also have a solder iron and solder.

Is this something I can fix myself?

Any links to this topic would be appreciated.

This Jetta is a father n son project and we could use some help on this one.

Thanks!

Jeff

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Cracked solder joints are common and are pretty much the only thing that will cause those symptoms. Seems a lot of stuff made in that era had solder cracking issues.

The fix is to carefully reflow and add a little fresh solder to all the potential bad spots. If you haven't done much soldering this might not be the best thing to start from scratch with - there's a few places that will repair your cluster for you and give you a warranty at the same time. If you're familiar with a fine tipped soldering iron and have proper electronic (not plumbing) solder then have at it!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
My 99 F150 had the solder problem with the odometer. The solder cracks are nearly microscopic. Tearing the dash apart was the worst of it, but you have to be very careful soldering on the tiny connections on a pcb. Rosin core solder is what you want. If you don't have a good idea where the bad solder joints are it would probably be a miracle to find them. A magnifying glass on some sort of stand or one of those electronics microscopes would help a lot.

that98TDIthough

TDI
1998 Jetta
Wow, sounds hard to find them. I was hoping to find a link with a picture of the back of the cluster that shows the solder points that regularly go bad for this symptom. I wouldn't be opposed to sending the cluster to someone else to repair if the cost was reasonable and they were a trusted resource. I had to do that with a couple GM trucks in the past when the stepper motors went out.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
There's not really any specific joins that go bad - the entire cluster is prone to cracks. You could focus on the clock, reinstall the cluster and then one of the gauges will stop working.

Search "Chubb cluster repair" on here and you should find the go-to guy

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
It may or may not be hard to find bad ones, but I was just letting you know it may not be easy to find, assuming it is even cracked solder joints.

that98TDIthough

TDI
1998 Jetta
Talked to Derek at Chubb's. Nice guy! Cluster is going out in the mail today. Said 30bux to replace both LCD's and ship it back to me. Pretty reasonable. Hope this fixes it. Thanks for the tip!

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Hi guys, next problem I'd like to solve...
98 TDI Jetta
I've only owned and driven this car ~700 miles.
Clock and Odometer display seems to come and go. Mostly go...
Been gone for the past few hundred miles now.
I've done some reading/research on this site this eve, but, haven't found the silver bullet yet on how to fix this. Sound like maybe a cracked solder point?
I found the steps to remove the cluster. I can do that. I also have a solder iron and solder.
Is this something I can fix myself?
Any links to this topic would be appreciated.
This Jetta is a father n son project and we could use some help on this one.
Thanks!
Jeff
My '99.5 Beetle did this. Scared the crap out of me. Turned out to be the starter. (!) Replaced it, and all was well again.
I'd start by checking the 13mm nut on the starter. Check for evidence of water dripping on the relay cluster too.

kzoc

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3 Jetta 1.9 TDI, and 6 Volvo's!
Please keep us updated on the issue.

I had this issue, and tried several solutions that didn't work. I did perform an unrelated fix that appears to have fixed the disappearing display issue.

that98TDIthough

TDI
1998 Jetta
Got my cluster back from Chubbs a while back. Put it back in and been driving for a couple weeks. Working perfectly! Originally 30bux to fix, but, he asked for 15 more as he said it was a little more complicated to fix. No problems here. I feel that is more than fair. Both LCD's working perfect now. Happy camper.