Help! Black smoke coming out intermittently on 00 Jetta!

sajjad

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI (mine), 2000 Jetta TDI (hers) & 2012 Transporter TDI
So, I was trying to pass a trailer truck and I passed a dip and hit the intercooler duct that is next to the right side wheel, I felt I lost power and a huge cloud of black smoke came out. I eventually limped to my mechanic and he managed to put the duct together again with a good quality silicone/mesh hose.

The duct looks like it's hermetically in place but I am still getting intermittent black smoke accompanied with power loss. I also hear that the turbo sounds different, like it's aspirating not the usual squealing it used to make. Sometimes I also hear a clicking noise that resembles when the car battery is almost dead.

My mechanic says that giving the intercooler a good cleaning could do the trick.

What do you guys think? just give it a good clean? did I damage the turbo? what is going on?

:confused::confused::confused:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Were you having good boost and no black smoke before this event?

If you weren't then the repair job might not be good enough. Possible that the hose isn't sufficient: you have to have really tight connections to hold boost.

Black smoke is all about too much fuel/not enough air.

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
Pull a hose off the turbo and see if the compressor is hitting the housing. It very well could have had a massive over speed with a sudden loss of pressure.

sajjad

TDI
There was no more apparent smoke than normal before this incident, and it had great torque on the highway before this event.

The original plastic piece was replaced but the rubber part wasn't in good shape so the mech put in the silicone/mesh replacement with some metal tighteners.

The clicks are not happening always only occasionally and not always when the smoke appears, at least that's what I perceive.

What would the clicks mean?

When I tried passing the trailer truck I accelerated and at the same time hit the dip. If a massive over speed happened did I damage the turbo?

Should I get a new OEM part?

If I keep driving her, will I damage her more or is the damage already done?

sajjad

TDI
Sorry, the original plastic piece was placed back, not replaced, as it is a single piece with the rubber/mesh hose.

The mechanic put the silicone/mesh over the original rubber/mesh part that was not in good shape after the ding.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Sounds like the part that was put on wasn't quite right and while it got you on your way it was just a temporary fix at best. You could probably find the parts you need at a junkyard or buy the correct new pieces.

Last edited:

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
It sounds more like a crap job with the rubber boot. I think you're talking about the boot between the plastic pipe and the intercooler. If it's bad get a new one, probably only a few $. I don't think you're going to get a good seal with a band aid on a junk hose.

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
It's probably blowing pressure out intermittenty when pressure builds up. Kind of flapping the patch against the original boot if you understand what I'm saying.

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
You don't want radiator style hose clamps either. Get the oem type or actual boost hose clamps. Screw type clamps aren't a very good option.

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
I wouldn't buy the plastic duct unless it was torn up pretty bad. The other 2 look right to me. 2 clamps, 1 rubber hose. Unless you still have your old clamps.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Take a look around in the classifieds section. Someone there might have something available. Not sure what shipping would be like.

sajjad

TDI
Nah, the clamps fell off somewhere on the Highway. the duct was pretty much intact.

Great! I'll see if I can get it off a junkyard around here, if not Id parts will get my hard earned pesos.

Thanks so much guys, I'll keep you informed.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A bit of an inconvenience, but this will end up being a pretty easy and cheap fix.

sajjad

TDI
So I easily found a junkyard with a couple of ALH TDI and harvested the pancake pipe. My mechanic put it in but I was still having trouble, we found out the rubber pipe next to the pancake had lost the metal teeth that help secure the pancake.

I went back to the same junkyard and got the pipe I needed, and got it replaced.

My Jetta is back in business, and it is all thanks to you guys!

I probably spent about 60usd in parts and labor.

Long live the TDI club!