won't start

that98TDIthough

TDI
1998 Jetta
Ok, so, today's my 2nd day out since my "timing belt woes" thread.

I have a hard time seeing any relation, but, I have a new problem.

Seems related to the alarm system or battery or something.

Symptom is that all electricals work fine for the interior, but, car only cranks like a tiny bit. Like the starter just cranks a pinch. Then if I try again too quickly, it just does the super fast click, like the batter is just about dead.

Wife came down to jump start me. No difference. Then, all of a sudden, it just started no problem. :confused:

Hauled butt home. Shut it off, tried to start it again, guess what, problem was back... fast click starter.

Alarm also seems to be self arming itself.

Is this related to the battery about to go bad? Not enough cranking amps? Some sort of alarm module failure? (sigh)

that98TDIthough

TDI
1998 Jetta
That guys says it was his battery. Guess I could try giving it a good long charge and see if that solves it temporarily until I get a new one.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Ignition switches do fail, and if you want to replace it do not waste your time on anything but a factory dealer switch. Unless you want to get really practiced at changing them.

Easy enough to test, just check for power at the terminal 50 at the starter. If it is doing the rapid fire clicking like the video it is probably battery or cables, or cable grounds.

that98TDIthough

TDI
1998 Jetta
Ignition switches do fail, and if you want to replace it do not waste your time on anything but a factory dealer switch. Unless you want to get really practiced at changing them.

Easy enough to test, just check for power at the terminal 50 at the starter. If it is doing the rapid fire clicking like the video it is probably battery or cables, or cable grounds.

Ok, I'm finally getting to this today. Honey do's....

I'm going to try giving the battery a good charge and see what happens.

I do see some corrosion on the battery terminal. I'll get that cleaned up too.

I'll report back. Thanks!

that98TDIthough

TDI
1998 Jetta
Well, I put the battery on a 10amp charger for about an hour or so. Car starts up now. Started multiple times.

I'm going to clean the terminals on the battery real good as a next step.

that98TDIthough

TDI
1998 Jetta
Battery kept quickly loosing it's charge, so, put a brand new battery in and so far so good. No more problems. Noticed old battery was manufactured in 08. It was probably time....