Engine Fault Workshop and Flashig Glow Plug Light

ChodeysTDi

TDI
'09 Jetta TDi
Good afternoon,

I'm driving a manual 09 Jetta TDI.

My problem started a couple months ago when the glow plug started flashing and Engine Falut Workshop appeared on the center screen.

The vehicle lagged badly and would barely climb up the hill I was driving up. It felt like the turbo just shut off or there was a bad fuel restriction. Not sure. I hit the flashers, turned the car off, restarted and it was good to go. I didn't get this warning again for a few weeks.

When it happened again, I did the same (turned off and restarted) and it went away again for a couple weeks.

Now, I can't go more than a mile without it coming on and have finally just parked it in the garage, too scared to drive it again.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction to get this fixed? I'm waiting for the VW buyback to happen so I can sell it back to VW and do not want to spend a fortune to get this thing fixed. I haven't scanned for any faults, don't own a scanner, and am too worried to take it to a shop to get t scanned since it comes on so quickly.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer!

Steve

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
No internet advice has much value until you get the vehicle scanned. It could be any number of things...

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Sounds like the VNT Turbo Actuator

Your symptoms reminded me of what happened to mine late last year, here's one thread explaining it:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=445922&highlight=p00AF

The VNT is supposedly a tough job, there are quite a few threads and maybe even a DIY, but it is a helluva job from what I recall

The dealer charged me $995 dollars, most of it of course labor, a guru is your best bet.