E-codes and sidemarkers

2000MKIV

TDI
I had an Audi A4 into which I installed E-codes. I did not have to replace the light switch with a Euro model. Everything but the Euro parking lights in the front worked fine.

I want to put E-codes in my MK4 Jetta. These would be two-reflector lights, each with one shared reflector for low and high beam and another reflector for the fog light. I am being told I will need the Euro light switch. I am worried about the amber sidemarkers in the bumper not functioning with the Euro switch. Does anybody know anything about this?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You only need the euro switch if you want separate positions for the fogs and parking lamps. I.e. to get parking lamps only, you need at least a euroswitch with 3 positions instead of the dumbed down north american cheapie 2 position switch.

There are other switches that also have fogs with 2 fog positions, one turning on the front fogs, and the other adding in the rear fog. I'm not going to get into all that since VW did not think us on this side of the pond intelligent enough to trust with separate controls for fogs and city (aka the parking lamps) lights. So they did not wire the cars for that. Additionally, if you install Golf lights on your Jetta (Golf front end, or aftermarket Jetta lights with separate reflectors for high and low beam) then the wiring would need to be altered since the factory wiring will not turn on both high and low beams at the same time. Otherwise it would probably burn up the light fixture if not frying the bulb in short order.

Anyway, I think you ought to relax and enjoy your new lights. I hope they give you the lighting results you need.

Cheers,

PH

2000MKIV

TDI
All I want to know is if the side markers (one amber light on both sides of front bumper cover) are going to be functional with the e-codes right out of the box or if some wiring is required.

The reason I am asking is that I keep reading posts in which people say that the side makers stopped working with the e-codes.

I do not have tail foglights on this car, and whether I use the DOTR or ECE parking lights does not matter to me.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
All I want to know is if the side markers (one amber light on both sides of front bumper cover) are going to be functional with the e-codes right out of the box or if some wiring is required.

The reason I am asking is that I keep reading posts in which people say that the side makers stopped working with the e-codes.

I do not have tail foglights on this car, and whether I use the DOTR or ECE parking lights does not matter to me.
Yes (at least MINE are).

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I'm not going to get into all that since VW did not think us on this side of the pond intelligent enough to trust with separate controls for fogs and city (aka the parking lamps) lights.
Well, for the vast majority over here, VW is right. I see dummarsches driving around with their fog (and/or driving) lights on 24/7/365 all the time. Oh, and the worst are lifted pickups!