2001 Beetle 5 Speed - $2000 - MI

CharlesL

TDI
Bug, 2001, Red
2001 Beetle 5 Speed - $2000 - MI - SOLD

Selling my 2001 bright red Beetle TDI with a sunroof. I am the original owner and along with my wife and son; we have put 225,600 mostly trouble-free miles on it. Asking $2000, which is the approximate Kelly Blue Book value.
Let’s start with the Good stuff:
-I am the original owner, purchased new in August 2000
-Red with black interior
-Sunroof
-5 Speed
-Rocketchip installed
-Updated Stereo
-3 Goodyear Assurance and 1 Yokohama tires
-Optional set of four Michelin Primacy Alpin snow tires on steel rims; add $175
-Tons of maintenance records; I kept a database of virtually everything and have almost all receipts
-100K Timing belt installed at 190K
-Used Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck and Mobil Delvac
-Includes original owners manual plus full VW service manual
The Bad Stuff:
-It needs new rear brakes, pads, rotors, and calipers; this is the reason I decided to sell it. I just don’t have the time, tools and youth to tackle it. Approximate cost for parts at Rock Auto, $175.
-Two codes showing, P0380 - Glow Plugs, and P1557 - I think the MAF is the issue
-A couple of small rust spots on the rocker panels
-Drivers seat is worn through in one spot
-Right side license plate light is missing
-Front driver side window is a bit wonky, needs adjusting and interior door lock button is included but not installed
-Front grill was never installed correctly during repairs after hitting a raccoon
-Fuel filter needs replacing
Here are some of the items replaced or repaired over the years:
-127K, New starter motor and sway bars
-173K, Replaced clutch
-190K, Replaced front springs
-190K, New timing belt, water pump, and fuel filter
-194K, Replaced front pads and rotors
-195K, Replaced both lower control arms, front struts, (Bilstein TC Struts), and springs
The rear brakes are in need of full servicing, and though the car is quite driveable, there is scraping when the brakes are applied. If I were to install new calipers, rotors and pads I would strongly consider keeping it, and dealing with the MAF and glow plugs. But I’ve decided to move on.
Lots of pictures here.

Last edited:

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Hey, that is my TB service sticker on that Beetle, nice!

Kirk

CharlesL

TDI
Bug, 2001, Red
That's right, it was January, 2014 when my son was a student at GVSU. Being in Ann Arbor we usually went to Marty for service, but you were right around the corner so you did the belt plus associated work. Fantastic work and reasonable prices, Thanks!!!