The Perfect Android Radio - Does it exist?

Conorooney

TDI
Passat B7
I've the crappy VW radio and said I'd upgrade to an RNS. After some research I decided I want more, specifically the Kenwood DNX518VDABS. Sell link below. Looks like a fantastic radio with all the features you'd want:

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vw/DNX518VDABS/

Apple Car Play
Bluetooth
Reverse Camera & Parking Sensors
Android Auto
Dashcam link etc. etc.

However, the £1k pricetag is HUGE!! Would love it and if it was £500 I probably would buy it. Is there a chinese model with pretty much the same capabilities of this radio?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Just so you know There is a huge difference between android audio and a android radio. I put in a Pioneer NEX 4200 and while its great its packed with to many safety features that annoy me to death such as the fact that it wont play or mirror any videos unless the parking brake is set- totally kills the kid video feature! It also will not allow you to use google nav while listening to the FM tuner, works ok streaming pandora but not the FM tuner. Both android audio and car play take over the phone- so the passenger will have a real hard time using a phone that's plugged into the radio

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I have limited experience with aftermarket radios, but I'm guessing soon as the UI is android, you can hack away root the thing and remove every friggin safety feature you'd want, it just may require searching on audio specific forums.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Just so you know There is a huge difference between android audio and a android radio. I put in a Pioneer NEX 4200 and while its great its packed with to many safety features that annoy me to death such as the fact that it wont play or mirror any videos unless the parking brake is set- totally kills the kid video feature! It also will not allow you to use google nav while listening to the FM tuner, works ok streaming pandora but not the FM tuner. Both android audio and car play take over the phone- so the passenger will have a real hard time using a phone that's plugged into the radio
You should research "parking brake bypass" that you can do on Pioneer's.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Is there a chinese model with pretty much the same capabilities of this radio?

I believe there is a Chinese VW radio called the RCD330 that is cheap and has Android auto build in. I think its supposed to be plug and play, but I don't know much about it. There is a long thread about it on golfmk6.com .

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I believe there is a Chinese VW radio called the RCD330 that is cheap and has Android auto build in. I think its supposed to be plug and play, but I don't know much about it. There is a long thread about it on golfmk6.com .
iirc, it's the opposite. It's CarPlay only, but there is a update to add Android Auto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge_5Rpp1kg8

Conorooney

TDI
Passat B7
I purchased the RCD330. Working really well so far. I also bought the reverse cam which I'm going to tackle tomorrow. I'll give an in-depth review in a number of weeks after plenty of use.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I purchased the RCD330. Working really well so far. I also bought the reverse cam which I'm going to tackle tomorrow. I'll give an in-depth review in a number of weeks after plenty of use.
That's great! I could potentially make this update someday. I look forward to your review.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I had a RCD330 in my Mk5 Jetta and liked it. Mine only supposed MirrorLink, which my phone doesn't. I've been told phone conversation over the RNS-510 is better though, so I'm adapting to that piece of equipment. Hope you enjoy it and it serves your needs.