Windshield wipers

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Has anybody used those wiper blades from Rain-X? I'm getting ready to put some new wiper blades on my Golf before Winter, and have been trying to decide whether or not they are worth the price? I've always tried to get the best blades available, and I even tried those dual blades (junk) a number of years ago. Recently for the past several years, I've been sticking with the top of the line Anco blades, and have been satisfied with them. Now, I'm about to replace them and was thinking about the rain -X ones. Then I saw the price, and decided to ask first.
Thanks

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
I haven't tried RainX myself. I have a pair of Bosch Icons on both Passats for 2- yrs now. On both cars, the driver side wipers start to streak from top to bottom. I would get another pair or I'm just going to get replament insert blades. Btw, Bosch has a $15 rebate till the end of the year.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Wiper blades

TX TDI said:
And if you're not a CR subscriber, try www.bugmenot.com. :D
Thanks for the tip, but it's blocked because it's a pay site.:( I'll do a little research on my own and proably go with the Bosch blades. BTW, which are the top of the line from Bosch?

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Can I just replace the blades and not the entire wiper arm? I feel like I should keep the aero wind deal on the wiper arm. Is it necessary?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I started out my VW experience with a new 06 Jetta TDI. I had it for a year and a half and the wipers were amazing. I bought an 03 with cheapo blades and put Bosch Icons on because so many people raved about them. I'm not impressed. Shortly after owning them (maybe 3 months) they started streaking and have slowly streaked more and more. When I get sick of the streaking, I'm going with EU Aero wipers and OEM blades. They look damn similar to MKV units which were the best I've ever seen. They can be purchased HERE. They are expensive though...

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Oddly enough you guys know that the wiper arms need alignments....right?

Mine were streaking real bad with every brand. After talking on here I found VW makes an alignment tool for the wiper arms. I suggest those that streak with Bosch wipers, get the alignment done. It made a world of difference to me.

roundout

Veteran Member
TDI
5 speed ALH
I've had poor luck with Boschs on an Intrepid, a Camry and my TDI. At the recommendation of a friend of mine, I've equipped all of my cars with ANCO wipers and they're the best wipers I've seen. Not terribly expensive, either. PIAA are supposed to be good but I've never felt like spending that kind of money.

ecodean

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf, 85 jetta(sold), 03 jetta(sold)
I've been running a pair Bosch Icons for two years and they still work great.

oil_me

Veteran Member
TDI
Black '99 Jetta, Glacier Blue Audi 80 Quattro TDI
I've been using the Icons on my Jetta for 1.5 years. They started to streak slightly @ 10 mos. and I was disappointed. I'll replace them before the new year. The '96 Passat I put the Anco single blades on 2 years ago and still no streaks. I'm going to try Ancos on the Jetta this time around.

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Am I missing something? OEM wipers are $15 apiece or some such thing. They look the same as the EU Aero wipes and OEM blades. But the EU's are over almost $125/pr.

Farfromovin said:
I'm going with EU Aero wipers and OEM blades. They look damn similar to MKV units which were the best I've ever seen. They can be purchased HERE. They are expensive though...

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
I just go to NAPA and buy inserts for $8 work fine tried the WM ones from Anco worthless. And yes if the blade does not track flat it will chatter I use an adjustable wrench to tweek the arm a little until it does not chatter.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Don't forget to use quality washer fluid too. That blue stuff everyone uses in the winter contains a lot of alcohol. That dries and destroys the rubber.

I use RainX, wipers last longer and no matter what brand I use there is no chatter. Even on a dry window.

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Again, am I missing something? The VW OEM setup is $15-20 dolllars or maybe a bit more, and it *also* includes wiper ARMS and blades.

Farfromovin said:
The EU wiper setup is $125 and that includes wiper ARMS and blades...

rgi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta
so it seems that there is a bit of debate as to whether the Bosch ICONS are better or the ANCO. My question is what length ICON should I use? The part finder on Amazon says that a 19" or 21" is compatible - which is it?
If I were to go with ANCO, what specific model/length is best?

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
Take one of your blades off when you go in the store. Compare it to the other one (some cars have two different blade sizes). You can also look at the entire sweep of the blade. If it has room for another inch or two without hitting something, buy the larger size. Some stores will even R&R them free. When all is said and done, clean the windows with Bon Ami and then apply a couple of coats of rain X. Problem solved without great expense.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
NB_TDi said:
...I found VW makes an alignment tool for the wiper arms. I suggest those that streak with Bosch wipers, get the alignment done. It made a world of difference to me.
Could you post a picture of this wiper arm alignment tool please

Thanks,

KubotaPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
Farfromovin said:
I started out my VW experience with a new 06 Jetta TDI. I had it for a year and a half and the wipers were amazing. I bought an 03 with cheapo blades and put Bosch Icons on because so many people raved about them. I'm not impressed. Shortly after owning them (maybe 3 months) they started streaking and have slowly streaked more and more. When I get sick of the streaking, I'm going with EU Aero wipers and OEM blades. They look damn similar to MKV units which were the best I've ever seen. They can be purchased HERE. They are expensive though...
Agreed. They get weird ice build up too in cold weather rendering them almost useless. I like them for summer rains but for slush and snow I'll stick to a regular winter blade :)