Farewell and Thanks to All !

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Well, it's time. Sold my Golf MY2000 and diesel-less for first time in 18 years.
Joined TDICLUB in Feb 99, less active in latter years, but posted over 1,185 times.

A very sincere thank you to everyone on the board for the friendships, technical assistance, and good times at various meet-ups. Two names come to mind, TOMO366 (still active after all these years) and Tongsli. My apologizes for failing to recall others.

It's wonderful that all these years later the TDICLUB is still going strong. A dedication to Fred and all the moderators.

If your curious, bought a new car to take advantage of safety features as auto braking, rear traffic alert, blind spot detection,etc. Subaru Crosstrek.

Again, thanks to everyone so very much. It's been a pleasure.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
If your curious, bought a new car to take advantage of safety features as auto braking, rear traffic alert, blind spot detection,etc. Subaru Crosstrek.

Again, thank everyone so much. It's been a pleasure.

This is the reason why I question those stalwart folks that cling to the ALH platform cars. All the safety systems are antiquated yet many feel they most motor on without thinking about how much better a newer car is.

Last edited:

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
This is the reason why I question those stalwart folks that cling to the ALH platform cars. All the safety systems are antiquated yet many feel they most motor on without thinking about how much better a newer car is.
can't we do both? I love the 2016 Civic for all the good stuff and the 2003 Jetta because it isn't costing me much.

thanks DEZLBOY for taking the time to send the nice wishes : )

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW

Well we each have to figure out our own tolerance for risk. Some people probably buy cars based on all kinds of advanced safety tech but then hop onto a motorcycle or a classic car on the weekend. Its not like the MKIV's are little death traps. I think they are kind of a sweet spot in terms of being modern and advanced, but still simple enough to work on.

But to your point, better (perceived) safety was a small factor in me moving on to the MKVI platform.

To the OP, congrats on the new ride and on getting so many years out of the your TDI!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The so-called "safety" argument is nonsense.

The MkIV cars have dramatically superior visibility to most of the modern stuff. Many newer cars NEED reverse cameras, rear-cross-traffic sensors and blind-spot monitoring such to be EQUALLY safe since you can't see a damn thing without them.

The big "add" for most drivers has come from two things -- airbags and anti-lock. For a skilled driver the second is worse than worthless in that it actually EXTENDS stopping distances over what you can do with threshold braking, but most people don't know how, haven't practiced it and can't. So for most it's a plus. Airbags make collisions that used to reliably kill into those where the injuries are either survivable or, in some cases, so minor you don't even need to go to the hospital.

The rest of the so-called "improvements" that matter were in the chassis (energy management in a crash) and the low-hanging fruit, where the big gains came from, where mostly complete by the mid-90s.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You'll be back. We've seen a number of members resurface not long after going diesel-less. Hard to give up the diesel goodness. :)

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
I'm one of the stupid ones that can buy a much safer car but choose to keep an old diesel jetta and a new truck that doesn't have superb crash ratings.

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
I also sometimes think of ridding myself of an outdated car . I have an 02 .
In the summer I like to rationalize driving it . With the sunroof open and windows down , radio up , it is by far much safer than a motorcycle !!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I also sometimes think of ridding myself of an outdated car . I have an 02 .
In the summer I like to rationalize driving it . With the sunroof open and windows down , radio up , it is by far much safer than a motorcycle !!
Motorcycles are not unsafe, it's all the idiots driving cars around them. As an avid 2-wheeler and driving enthusiast, I can't tell you how many times I've almost been taken out because of some asshat driving. That being said, whenever I'm in the car or truck, I always give a biker plenty of room.

I love my 02 and wouldn't upgrade it for the modern technology. I really enjoy still having control of my car. It makes me focus on driving. Not eating, texting, and doing everything but drive. The new commodities can be great, but are false failsafes and should never take the driver away from their main responsibility.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
You are projecting your own values on others. If you were to buy an older car of the generation of TDIs you would be hard pressed to find a safer car. The 5 star ratings of the VWs isn't necessarily found in other competing models.

What you are referring to are modern day features. Sure, they are very nice and make a car safer, but didn't really make a comparative point other than to infer that you need to buy a newer car.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You are projecting your own values on others. If you were to buy an older car of the generation of TDIs you would be hard pressed to find a safer car. The 5 star ratings of the VWs isn't necessarily found in other competing models.

What you are referring to are modern day features. Sure, they are very nice and make a car safer, but didn't really make a comparative point other than to infer that you need to buy a newer car.

What will you be saying another 5 years from now? The same mantra. The ALH TDI's are still the best and safest cars on the road. You guys like to brainwash yourselves into believing that those old cars are the best thing since sliced white bread. Drink the Koolaid as long as you can.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I will keep my 2002 TDI until I'm gone, or forget HOW to shift!!!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I will keep my 2002 TDI until I'm gone, or forget HOW to shift!!!

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid. Someday you will understand that the only constant is change. What does any of this have to do with being able to shift?

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual

What will you be saying another 5 years from now? The same mantra. The ALH TDI's are still the best and safest cars on the road. You guys like to brainwash yourselves into believing that those old cars are the best thing since sliced white bread. Drink the Koolaid as long as you can.
You are making a straw man argument. Just about any car sold today is waay safer in terms of features than the older VWs. That would be true for any manufacturer.

I drove a Corolla recently as a rental car and saw the radar features of lane management and am impressed. It's definitely has many safety features.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You are making a straw man argument. Just about any car sold today is waay safer in terms of features than the older VWs. That would be true for any manufacturer.

I drove a Corolla recently as a rental car and saw the radar features of lane management and am impressed. It's definitely has many safety features.

This was my point "strawman" or not.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I keep my bugs because they are cheap and so much fun to drive. I do, however, really love driving my 2016 Duramax with Apple car play, backup camera, park assist, butt coolers and heaters, leather seats, and so on. Also have a 2018 outback my wife drives with all the bells and whistles. But for me, fun driving is with my good ole 2001 bug with 6 speed.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I keep my bugs because they are cheap and so much fun to drive. I do, however, really love driving my 2016 Duramax with Apple car play, backup camera, park assist, butt coolers and heaters, leather seats, and so on. Also have a 2018 outback my wife drives with all the bells and whistles. But for me, fun driving is with my good ole 2001 bug with 6 speed.

You said it all..........it's not better or as good. For you it's just FUN, A toy I guess? That is fine if you can afford to keep a toy around but, others need a safe dependable daily driver and an old ALH does not necessarily fit that bill and it becomes time to move on.

Last edited:

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Fine. Do what makes other people happy. End of- end of debate.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Whether the newer cars are ACTUALLY safer in real use is the matter of some debate.

It's very, very easy to become dependent on that newer technology, and then when it doesn't work as expected, well.......

You are the guy who's Tesla rammed a semi trailer that was ACROSS THE ROAD and never saw it.

He was decapitated.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Gentlemen, let's not lose our heads over the new "super safety" features that new cars have. we still need to steer and pay attention to a car at least 5 ahead of the one in front of us.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Bought wife a new Crosstrek, too. Nice cars, but I'll hang on to my 05 BEW Jetta Wagon as long as I can. Still looks pretty darned good after 12 years in the northeast, only has 132K on it. (Kept my '72 Blazer for over 30 yrs/240K....)

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
I made the mistake of test driving some new cars the last couple weeks. A 2015 wrx STI, 2018 WRX with the cvt and a 2016 and 2018 Golf R.

Quite the difference in handling, braking and acceleration even with the mods of my 2k Jetta.
I went back to driving the Jetta and thought my brakes were failing and suspension was shot. :D
I have some thinking to do for sure...

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
The thing is when you buy a new car you're basically a test dummy. No telling about potential problems, reliability etc. Especially the first couple years of a models rollout. Whereas with the alh we already know what they're all about... tried and tested. People who bought the latest Honda CRVs (turbo) are finding out about that with the fuel dilution issues. And plus you don't have to worry about a car payment. Just sayin if you do your own wrenching I think it's much smarter to drive an older car, if we're strictly approaching from a business perspective.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Take care DEZLBOY ......... referenced some great guys!

Love my ALHs ........ even the one in my "old" Vanagon!

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
can't we do both? I love the 2016 Civic for all the good stuff and the 2003 Jetta because it isn't costing me much.
thanks DEZLBOY for taking the time to send the nice wishes : )
mk3......most welcomed. Take care!