Picked up a low mileage '15 Golf TDI S

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
i used sport mode last night. It's pretty good. D works well for me too. I would have gotten the manual but 1st gear in the manual was so anemic, it ruined it for me. It was so short and had no power. 2nd was much better. But I couldn't see myself dealing with that lame 1st gear on a continual basis.

DSG is also not great in 1st but it's more responsive than the manual IMO.

cristoaca

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
No, not at all BUT I did some messing around last night and if you are just light into the throttle, I noticed the delay. If you are IN IT moderately or for real, the shifts are pretty instant. So if you drive like a "TDI'er" its going to feel delayed, give her some throttle and shifts will be fast. :D

Try driving in S only and see how it drives. It's the main automatic mode I drive in, never use D and always downshift when letting off the throttle isn't enough to get me slowed to where I need to be.
I rarely drive in D mode. Mostly in S with paddle override and Triptonic with shift lever or paddles. I did try what you suggested and it seemed prompter in changing gear. Fuel economy is not as good though.
I wish the manual mode would allow me to shift down when I choose, for a complete control. I understand that the computer override shifting prevents the stall. Thank you for the input.

For nomadic, having been used to the manual transmission of MK6, I was surprised about the short gear ratio on these too.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
I drove some more last night in regular D mode. I have to say the DSG is pretty damn good. Even though it shifts gears at shorter intervals in D mode, power never seems to be lacking his car.