Intermediate pulley grinding on inner engine cover

TDI2311

TDI
98 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI 5 speed
Hello everyone,

Just picked up a 98 jetta AHU. I decided to install all new belts, filter and fluids. When I finished installing everything and finally started it up. I heard a grinding noise coming from the timing belt area. So I ran over there to see what it was and I'm leaning towards the intermediate shaft pulley grinding on the inner engine cover. When I push on the cover and let go I can hear the cover slapping the pulleys. There looks to be some fine metal shavings under the pulley. Is there anything that I can do to tighten that cover? I don't recall unbolting anything from the cover at all so I'm bit susursusure what it could be.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i think the older mk2s were notorious for the IM shaft 'lip' going. after 20years you may find a problem like your having. i havent seen it for mk3s. in putting a new belt may have done it for the lip. you have to pull the seal cover and take a look in there. the shaft has a lip that controls axial play, if that gives you may have whats happening to your now.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Did you remove a nut that goes on a small bolt near the injection pump (the T-bolt)? Most cars are missing them but try an hose the cover in that area. It sounds like the cover isn't fully seated.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i was a little confused,, i had thought hs was having a problem with the outer(plastic)cover. i think the shaft wants to 'push' to the outside, normally. the inner metal cover isnt usually a problem, as most all work goes to that point, that gets left alone. so a question when you had the belt off, did you take off the IM pulley? if you did, or even if you didnt, is it on, did you put it back on right? and not bassackwards?
i ve for some reason or another at times had the cam pulley rubbing some, it ll take some metal, i just had to bend the upper cover back some to make space. and make sure inner cover is secured where its supposed to be.

TDI2311

TDI
Abacus- if you are talking about the stud that is holding the lower timing belt cover on. By the water pump pulley then yes it is missing.

Ilovemydiesels- i did take the IM pulley off to replace the seals behind it. Thought I had it on the right way I didnt know there was a wrong way for it to be on. Must have put it on backwards. When I looked at it it look identical on both sides. Other than the grinding Marks is there a tale tale sign of which way is out and which way is in?

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
it only goes on one way dude. i dont know what to tell you. there may be one way to rectify, im not sure, youd have to try. 1st turn crank to TDC, check with cam and pump. you can now try this, take off (upper)idler roller, next loosen timing tensioner, you may now have enough belt slack to take off pulley and put back on, w/o removing belt any farther. the pulley goes on *-one way-*, with woodruff key. probably have to check pulley, some shavings coming off, eeh can deal with it. if you can put pulley back on like this, reinstall roller, reset tensioner, turn crank over twice to check timing, recheck crank and cam and pump pin line up, and go from there.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
it's a tapered shaft, only goes on one way, should be pretty easy to tell which side is the larger opening.

Sounds like the T bolt is missing so the cover isn't pulling up tight. That could explain why the IM pulley is grinding away at the lower cover.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The t-bolt can be installed without having to redo the timing belt. It's a pain but I've done it a few times.

The part number is n90053401. I found the easiest way to install it was by connecting it to some wire by shrink tubing. Anything larger won't fit through the hole. Just don't force it since it has to line up perfectly to fit. It may be in place already just pushed back through the hole. A mirror and magnet may help locate it.

TDI2311

TDI
I havent had time to go out there to tear back into it. With a two year old and 106* heat I cant keep him out there with me. I'm going to try and get after it later today.

Just a question, if the pulley is tapered how could it even fit on backwards.

Thanks for the pictures abacus, I'll give that a shot later today. Maybe I can order one from vw and have it here for when u get back into town in 2 weeks. I work a 2 on 2 off schedule.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I havent had time to go out there to tear back into it. With a two year old and 106* heat I cant keep him out there with me. I'm going to try and get after it later today.

Just a question, if the pulley is tapered how could it even fit on backwards.
It can't fit on backwards....

Thanks for the pictures abacus, I'll give that a shot later today. Maybe I can order one from vw and have it here for when u get back into town in 2 weeks. I work a 2 on 2 off schedule.
If you need to order one it's part # N90053401 from VW and is called the T head screw. VW also says it requires a spring washer part # N0122265 but you might already have that somewhere.

There's a nut too but that's listed as cancelled by VW. Those are readily available from other junked VW's though.

Steve

TDI2311

TDI
So, I got time to go out there to take a look at it. I fired it up one more time and pushed the outer cover in barely and it stopped all the grinding. So I started tearing it apart again and found the bolt sitting on a mud robbers nest above the water pump. Sadly when I reached my hand in there to snag it up, it fell into the abyss. Luckily I placed an order for a new one the day before.

Unfortunately I had to head back out to work today. So I'll try to finish it in two weeks. Thanks for all the help everyone.