Leaky fuel injector pump in 2002 Jetta TDI

teeps

TDI
none yet
I have a 2002 Jetta TDI that has recently started leaking fuel from the fuel injector pump. I looked into the repair cost and I really cannot swing even a rebuilt injector right now. My real options are 1) leave it for now and powerwash under the pump, 2) drive a long distance to purchase high percentage biodiesel with the purpose of trying to expand the seals and seal the leak, 3) getting someone to just reseal the injector as the lower seals looks to be leaking, 4) buy a rebuilt injector and have it installed at a total of ~$1500.

However, I spoke to Jason (TDI guru in Pensacola) who warned of the complications of trying to reseal a fuel injector pump.. basically that there are so many parts that need to be put back exactly right or you're screwed. He suggested the rebuilt pump route, but I just can't afford it right now.

I have a local mechanic who is willing to attempt a reseal, but I am unsure of that person's ability to do so after Jason's suggestion.

Anybody have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
If you trust that the mechanic can follow simple directions, then you can probably get this repaired for $100 or so. Go to dieselgeek.com and buy the big O-ring seal. Good luck.

teeps

TDI
none yet
And if it's possible there are more leaks... Say near the electronic controller? Is that worse?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
And if it's possible there are more leaks... Say near the electronic controller? Is that worse?
Since you're looking for an economical fix, I'd start with replacing the large o-ring with the IP still in the car. Give it a good power washing when done and closely monitor for other leaks. Dieselgeek sells a complete kit if you are thinking that there are multiple leaks. If you buy that instead of just the large o-ring, then you'll be ready for the others if needed.

I'd worry about the coolant hoses before the electronic controller. Those will be eaten up by the exposure to diesel and are pricey to replace.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Since you're looking for an economical fix, I'd start with replacing the large o-ring with the IP still in the car. Give it a good power washing when done and closely monitor for other leaks. Dieselgeek sells a complete kit if you are thinking that there are multiple leaks. If you buy that instead of just the large o-ring, then you'll be ready for the others if needed.

I'd worry about the coolant hoses before the electronic controller. Those will be eaten up by the exposure to diesel and are pricey to replace.

The large high pressure head "O" ring is one of the trickiest ones to get right. If you are someone who isn't very comfortable working on intricate mechanisms, and cannot devote your self for a small period of time to totally understand how the internal parts fit and interact with eachother inside the IP, than I would say drive the car to a Guru listed on the Forum. I did my injector pump reseal early on shortly after I first got my car, and I had to take quite a bit of time to familiarize myself wth the internals, and to muster the nerve to do it. I found that it is best to clean everything extremely well first, remove the top two sections of the IP(need security bolt socket), get the diesel geek high pressure head "O" ring that comes with the special bolt and follow to the letter the diesel geek internet instructions. Before I began, I took digital photos of the inside of the IP so I knew exactly how things were originally installed. I also verified that the small spacer at the end of the distributor plunger had not fallen down into the IP which is what can cause disasterous results if it's not caught and remedied.

The OP seems to indicate that the leaking could be caused from some block off plates on the bottom of the IP. Most likely it is actually coming from the quantity adjuster area, and or the high pressure head "O" ring and leaking down. If the leaking is isolated to the electrical penetration on the side of the IP you can use some Hylomar sealant on them and they will seal up. There are no known replacements for those two gaskets in there, and that's where the Hylomar comes in handy :)

In your situation, I would buy the reseal kit, and the high pressure head "O" ring/modified bolt and the security bolt socket from diesel geek, and replace the quantity adjuster seals, the fuel shutoff valve "O" rings, and the IP case pressure regulator "O" rings and see if that takes care of things. VagCom will be needed to get the IQ values correct again.

Last edited: