BHW TDI SWAP INTO LAND ROVER SERIES 2a 109

Eyjafjalladylan

TDI
1966 land rover series 2a BHW TDI
Hello all, first time poster here, ive been doing some research on this motor but havent found quite the info im looking for, so heres a bit of background on the swap im doing.
I have a 1966 Land Rover series 2a 109 long wheel base truck. Im doing a full frame up resto starting with a brand new galvanized frame, and I want to replace the lump of a 2.25 motor and the 4spd box with no synchro. So Ive gone through a few swap ideas but I think Ive decided on the best route that doesnt require too much butchery of my nice shiny new chassis. My idea is a BHW out of a passat b5 , I chose this motor because it is longtitudinally mounted from factory which i think would make mounting and accessories easier, and because it has the best power specs that I think would suit my 'big' truck. advanced adapters make an adapter to mount my series t-case (which are very robust) to a 5spd NV3550 (adapted with I think 'evguy' adapter) so that will mount right into my chassis without any mods, all I will need to do is make the mounts for the motor.
So my main concern is the wiring. I want to keep the interior relatively stock looking so I dont want to have to stick a passat gauge cluster in there or anything. If possible id like to just have what came in the truck originally , which is just a speedo, water temp,oil press, and fuel. I would like to replace them with some 'vintage' looking updated gauges that will work with the motor.
Also I will not be running power steering or ac, and dont want cruise or anything. What is the minimal route to getting this engine up and running, with the selected gauges that Id like etc? Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to get all the info out there. Thanks in adavance for any of your help and tips!:eek:
Dylan

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Speedo...will run off of the transmission/case. Plenty of jegs/summit racing retro gauges to choose from

Same with matching tach powered by dakota tach signal. The oil/temp/volt can all be cheap mechanical bolted to the motor alongside vw sensors.

A little light bulb for a cel would be smart.

Many of the tuners who can program your bhw for the immobilizer delete and manual conversion can also do the wiring harness if you dont feel comfortable hacking it down.

No need for passat gauges. Just relays, pedal, wiring and some switches. Dont cut any wires until shes out and you've triple checked the wiring diagram.

Eyjafjalladylan

TDI
1966 land rover series 2a BHW TDI
Seems pretty straight forward, just need to find a good tuner around me to do my ecu for the swap. Thanks for the tips, doesn't sound as scary now...

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Malone is canuckastan based. Should be plenty of tuners. I shipped mine off. It's a small ecu so shipping isn't bad.

If you want real time data logging a blue tooth obd dongle and torque pro are great with a cheap old dedicated cell phone or android tablet.

I consider a ross cable mandatory for tdi owners.