water engine ingestion solutions

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I want to come back to this issue since it hasn't been brought up recently.

Has anyone found a good solution to prevent water in the air box? I don't like the idea of worrying about this happening every time there is a rain storm forecast.

I am still puzzled as to why a new car with no miles on it can get enough water to flood the airbox. The drain holes can't be plugged and if it is just sitting the water should drain.

Anyone with an explanation???:confused:

jimbolu

TDI
2013 Touareg Lux TDI
I had my 2013 in the shop last week, and the service advisor asked me if I had been driving through large puddles because the air filter had water in it. I told him no. Anyway they didn't know how the water got in there. But they did replace if for free.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
jimbolu, Is that the first filter replacement you have done? I think I will make this inspection each yr and have the drains in the airbox cleared just to keep track of whats going on there. It stil lmakes no sense to me.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
So what I read is the older TREGs don't have this problem, can I assume the drain valves are different from earlier to current models? Why can't we have a different drain valve installed by the dealers on a TSB,sounds like a cheap fix.??

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
All of our discussion about the water in the air box seem to end in a dead end. No plausible explanations or remedies have been found. Plenty of reasons speculated,but no solutions. The new car issue is the most frustrating because it makes no sense unless the new versions are different from the first earlier TREGS, I don't see it and I had a 2012 with no issues for 6 yrs and no changes of filters. 65,000Miles on the odometer. I worry about my new 2016 "new" TREG.

MondoTech

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
the big thread on clubtouareg has information about the China recall. I believe VW is installing some plastic pieces above the intake tube to prevent water from running straight into the tube. People were speculating that water runs off the headlight and drops right into the intake tube. There’s another guy that installed a bunch of weather stripping and claims to have remedied the issue.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
mondo tech,Is this plastic diverter being install here in NA or just in China?? I have put weather stripping on my TREG We'll see what happens.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
After looking again at the pictures,it is obvious either the car was in a major wind storm with lots of yard and tree waste blowing around or the gardeners are bowing the stuff around car. I noticed there were clippings and leaves on the top of the airbox. Once the airbox is clogged the water can't drain and damage takes place.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I guess by the lack of response about the causes for water and leaves,grass getting into the airbox it must not be a major problem so I guess I'm not going to worry about this issue.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Just check the box occasionally, especially after driving in heavy rain or after major downpours. If in doubt remove the drain plug so nothing can accumulate in bottom of box.
Club Touareg is the better Forum for these vehicles. Not much activity here.....

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
THX for the response Radman, I also go to the Club touareg forum, same results. I will get to the drain plug.