2006 Jetta TDI - DMF-to-SMF Conversion??

Ofunky1

TDI
2002 TDI Golf, 2006 TDI Jetta
Looking at the kit from MJM Auto Haus (22 lb SMF Flywheel)....what else is needed.

Folks, I need a little help (or maybe alot). Just broke down 150 miles from home where my clutch pedal went to the floor while shifting gears. I Was towed to a local garage in Towson, MD and given an estimate of 1800.00 to replace my Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Slave Cylinder, etc. I am tempted to have her towed back home where my local mechanic says he will help me out with the conversion. After reading a number of post her I think that I am victim to the dreaded DMF failure since I have been experiencing alot of the symtoms of the DMF symptoms. Questions are: What is the best conversion kit to purchase and what else should I look at purchasing/replacing (i.e. slave cylinder, rear seal, fluids, special tools, etc). Any feedback/experiences will be greatly appreciated. Also what is the best How-to for the MK5 DMF-to-SMF conversion?

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I am very surprised that no one has answered this thread yet.

Sounds more like your clutch slave cylinder crapped out. Usually, with a failing DMF, it makes itself known well before failure via a loud knocking sound at idle.

Was there any fluid leaking from the transaxle bellhousing? If so, I would have them pull the clutch slave first to inspect it. This area is very easy to access once you remove the battery platform and air box (very, very easy to do) before you authorize nearly $2k in work.

You didn't mention the mileage or any other specific symptoms... that would be helpful. The DMF - SMF "conversion" is only a conversion because of the type of parts being used... the process for installing and swapping the clutch and pressure plate are identical.

PM me if you decide to tackle it yourself. I would be happy to offer you some help.

Also, I know a lot of people here love their Valeo SMF's. But, due to my experience with two of them, I can't recommend them and suggest going the Sachs/VR6 route.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It probably is a clutch/flywheel failure. There are a number of kits that would help out. And there's a great mechanic in Baltimore that could fix it right the first time. TDIRacing is his username, Oliver is his name. PM me if you want a phone number.

You could probably get a kit from World Impex which would be local and save time. Of course we have several options for your car, too (shameless plug).

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
Above post is spot-on with checking cheaper solutions to your problem before shelling out major cash. However, if the flywheel is the culprit and the tranny case itself wasn't damaged, then the mjm kit plus some tty replacement bolts is all you need.

This page by forum member Malooscheck has all the bolts that should be replaced and their part #'s as well as a very in depth DIY.

http://furmanka.blogspot.com/2007/01/mk5-wymiana-sprzga-i-koa-zamachowego.html

JettaBlack

TDI
2005.5 Jetta BRM 5M
Actually, the slave cylinder only requires removing the air filter box and its plumbing. If it turns out to be the bigger DMF problem, I installed the Sachs VR6 for $330 and it works great- no rattle! https://www.mjmautohaus.com/ The biggest problem is if the FW has seized and you need a die grinder to get at the bolts- a half-hour more for the job.
Dito on the help. I took lots of pics and happy to share.

vwluca

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta GLS
I replaced mine this past may with a Sachs SMF kit with a 22lbs flywheel. There is rattle and it gets a bit on my nerves but will not replace it a second time. Besides the RATTLE I like it. Rattle is more noticeable in hot summer days after long rides/traffic. Now that winter has arrived, it isn't as loud but definitely noticeable.

Luc
Montreal, Canada

JettaBlack

TDI
2005.5 Jetta BRM 5M
I replaced mine this past may with a Sachs SMF kit with a 22lbs flywheel. There is rattle and it gets a bit on my nerves but will not replace it a second time. Besides the RATTLE I like it. Rattle is more noticeable in hot summer days after long rides/traffic. Now that winter has arrived, it isn't as loud but definitely noticeable.

Luc
Montreal, Canada
I was getting a lot of rattle prior to changing my FW and changed lube in an attempt to quiet it down. I used Lucas Oil non-synthetic and maybe that has kept mine quiet as it was noticeably higher viscosity. At that time, I also noticed more noise on hot days and long trips and agree, maybe when things warm up it may start rattling again.