Rad fan stays running on Jetta TDI

gerpeters

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI and 2003 Jetta TDI
I've had my 2002 TDI for over two years now. Yesterday after an 8 hour trip I turned the engine off and the rad fan stayed on. After about 10 minutes it turn off by it self. I have never before heard this before and the weather is not hot. It is 16C right now.

This morning I turned the ignition on (without the engine running) the fan starts to run (it seems to run slow) and as long as the ignition is on it turns on and off. I heard a click every time it turn on and off. When I turn the engine off it stays on for a while again without turning on and off.

Any ideas?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Might be the fan controller. But I am not well versed on the A4 platforms.

Tony

gerpeters

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI and 2003 Jetta TDI
Fuse 16 is not blown and the symptoms come and go. I read the article above Dan but could not find anything relevant. I will probably have it check out by my TDI guru

Marrump

TDI
looking for 2015
I have had my fan run on for several minutes on several occasions after shutdown (nothing unusal related like hard running or A/C on). The car seemed quite hot from the side.

I surmized the care was playing EGR and particulate recycle operations and walked away. no other strange sysmteoms other than it sings to me.

I am interested in this thread and others experience. I did not bother to ask the dealer.