Some new problems to watch out for

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
oilhammer said:
Well, the PS pump also has lines coming off of it. :eek:
I said by the lines meaning they were a specific type. I mean I could look and tell what kind of lines they were. :p Pretty much all a/c compressors have hard lines, no? Every PS pump I never saw really didn't use but maybe a section of hard line. At least on the MK5 cars, we don't have to worry about the PS pump.

dkuster

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI
You can see from my sig that my '03 Golf is modded.

I always shift smoothly and never abuse my clutch. Should I still be
worried about the DMF? (I'm at 117K miles now...)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
dkuster said:
You can see from my sig that my '03 Golf is modded.

I always shift smoothly and never abuse my clutch. Should I still be
worried about the DMF? (I'm at 117K miles now...)
I would not lose any sleep over it, just be especially observant of any strange vibrations or noises, or any odd feeling in the clutch pedal. Would be a good idea to plan for a clutch/flywheel job when you can. Ours are about $1000 out-the-door, and it *should* be the last flywheel you'd ever have to buy. It is ALWAYS easier and cheaper to do a job like this before anything happens. Keep in mind I have plenty of customers' cars with well over 200k (and even some over 300k!) without DMF problems. But I do see enough that have problems I felt it wise to bring it up in my initial post to this thread.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
oilhammer said:
I would not lose any sleep over it, just be especially observant of any strange vibrations or noises, or any odd feeling in the clutch pedal. Would be a good idea to plan for a clutch/flywheel job when you can. Ours are about $1000 out-the-door, and it *should* be the last flywheel you'd ever have to buy. It is ALWAYS easier and cheaper to do a job like this before anything happens. Keep in mind I have plenty of customers' cars with well over 200k (and even some over 300k!) without DMF problems. But I do see enough that have problems I felt it wise to bring it up in my initial post to this thread.
Interesting that you should mention this. If you hadn't mentioned vibration, I would have read over it. My car has been vibrating a lot, more than I think it used to. (that's why I kept shifting in and out of neutral and drive last week which-I HOPE-caused my 01M to lock up, remember?) Coworkers say it's just a diesel thing, but they drive Cummins and Durmaxes.

I thought my vibration might either be normal or caused by a bad engie mount or mounts. Any tips on discerning the difference?

oilhammer

TDI
With regards to the vibrations, I was refering to the DMF in the manual transmission cars.

I'd also like to add that I am updating my original post as I think of things. So check back from time to time if you like. :)

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Brian,

Lots of great info, but scarey... I just cleaned out the pan of a '00 auto... It gripes me that you can't really change the fluid completely. There's no drain plug on the torque converter. That's DUMB.

The A/C nut is great advice. I've seen that often enough..

And lastly, the OEM cylinder heads... I had someone ask me to rework a particular brand of aftermarket cylinder head. I told them I'd do it, but couldn't guarantee the work. So, as of the moment, I have only rebuilt OEM heads. It just makes more sense.

oilhammer

TDI
Frank, I can flush the 01M, I have the correct adapters now, but most folks won't spring for 15 liters of $9/liter fluid, plus labor, and then you STILL need to drop the pan to change the filter, so 3 MORE liters plus the filter and gasket.

...and then will the trans still work a year later???? :p

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
What's that come to? About $225 - $250 for a complete service?

Glad I have a 5-speed!

--Nate

oilhammer

TDI
PDJetta said:
A DSG blows up because of a Dual Mass Flywheel failure at 26,000 miles. Check this thread out:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1850633#post1850633

--Nate
Yeah, there have been quite a few DSG failures under warranty. Many of them in the GTI/GLI. I hate to say this, but I think 3 years from now we'll see that the DSG in the A5 cars is a piece of junk. I have not seen any *yet*, but the lion's share of the A5 cars I service have a proper manual transmission in them, or are the 2.5L gas engine (which does not get the DSG as its autobox).

2004Nick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Some new problem----

Very helpful post, Oilhammer--it's members like you who mak this forum worth it's weight in gold! Now how about
the same sort of posting for the A4's,(specifically BEW's)
when you have time. Thanks again. Nick.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
oilhammer said:
They used to do that, wired up with the rear defog. I know both my '87 Vanagons were like that. But the newer cars' mirrors have their own seperate heater switch, integral with the aiming switches.

And for the 01M folks, I do not intend to put the fear of god in you, nor do I suggest you get rid of your car or anything like that. Merely to give you a "head's up" on a potential repair cost. Nobody likes surprises that suck nearly $5k from your wallet. And in all actuality, it is not much different than many other cars' slushboxes. Just a weak link in general. From my experience, Aisin is usually the only ones to make a really good unit. But even some of those as of late are having issues (the Lexus ES350 comes to mind... :cool: ).

I'd love to think the DSG is better, but in my mind the court is still out on that. I have only one customer to have hit 100k with one, a 2004 NB TDI, and while the trans itself is fine, both drive axles needed replacement at 97k at a cost of over $1000 because the inner plunge joints failed. And I have read and heard of more than one DSG grenading under 50k miles. I for one would NOT want one until I have seen a bunch of them with 250k+ miles on them...I just drive my cars too much to deal with that crap breaking. And the DSG is even more expensive to replace than the 01M!

I can however report the A5 Jetta so far has not presented itself with any problems to me whatsoever. All my A5 customers' cars have been very good save for the horrific Continental tires some of them were equipped with.

Incidentally, thank you all for the kind words. I am always happy to help. :)
Isn't it true on the DSG tranny that it's mostly a manual gear box (with electronic shift forks) attached to what appears to be two wet clutches (DMF?)that simulate a torque convertor? Taking that idea out further, being the manual gear boxes are very long lasting, I would think that the DSG is going to cost less to replace, assuming the main failure would be the wet clutch assembly.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
jokila said:
Isn't it true on the DSG tranny that it's mostly a manual gear box (with electronic shift forks) attached to what appears to be two wet clutches (DMF?)that simulate a torque convertor? Taking that idea out further, being the manual gear boxes are very long lasting, I would think that the DSG is going to cost less to replace, assuming the main failure would be the wet clutch assembly.
Yep, all true about the construction. It is basically two 3-speed manual transmissions, each with its own wet-disk clutchpack connecting it to the engine, run in parallel. All in one case, of course, and using one final differential.

The engineering behind it, and its design, is quite remarkable. However it is actually pretty complex.

oilhammer

TDI
2004Nick said:
Very helpful post, Oilhammer--it's members like you who mak this forum worth it's weight in gold! Now how about
the same sort of posting for the A4's,(specifically BEW's)
when you have time. Thanks again. Nick.
There really is not anything I have to add for BEW equipped cars. We know about the EGR cooler leaks, the DMF is the same as the ALH essentially, and there is more than enough mention of the specific oil requirement and what happens when you do not adhere to such. Really, other than the engine, and the transmission (if automatic) there is not much else different than an ALH equipped A4 car.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
oilhammer said:
There really is not anything I have to add for BEW equipped cars. We know about the EGR cooler leaks, the DMF is the same as the ALH essentially, and there is more than enough mention of the specific oil requirement and what happens when you do not adhere to such. Really, other than the engine, and the transmission (if automatic) there is not much else different than an ALH equipped A4 car.
The only thing I can think of would be that stupid intake hose where it enters the intake manifold assembly. I sat there yesterday envisioning a bracket that would clamp it in place.

dkuster

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI
oilhammer said:
Thanks. I'll just keep a lookout for any strange clutch sounds or behavior.

oilhammer

TDI
whitedog said:
The only thing I can think of would be that stupid intake hose where it enters the intake manifold assembly. I sat there yesterday envisioning a bracket that would clamp it in place.
I have seen one of these, but it looked butchered up, and the car had previously just gotten back from the dealer for the EGR cooler recall...I assumed that dealer tech butchery was to blame.

But you sound like you have seen more than one of these?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I think that clip and nub design that holds the charge air hose couplers together on the PDs is used so at the factory the hoses can pe just pushed together. Its for faster assembly. To he11 with durability is the engineers' moto! Its a bean counter thing.

--Nate

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
oilhammer said:
I have seen one of these, but it looked butchered up, and the car had previously just gotten back from the dealer for the EGR cooler recall...I assumed that dealer tech butchery was to blame.

But you sound like you have seen more than one of these?
Mine is getting loose and there have been people here that posted about it happening and I know of two NW based TDI mechanics that have seen it multiple times.

Nowhere did I say anything that was remotley close to saying I have seen more than one of these. Don't try to suck me into your little games.

oilhammer

TDI
whitedog said:
Nowhere did I say anything that was remotley close to saying I have seen more than one of these. Don't try to suck me into your little games.
LOL? Do I play games? LMAO.;)

williams

TDI
2001 Jetta
Crankshaft pulley came apart? Timing belt just broke at idle...after having been changed by the dealer 11,000 miles ago. Warranty for 12 months 12,000 miles. Dealer says the crankshaft pulley was the problem that it "separated" or split??? He is checking with the zone manager as to weather VW will cover it. Has anyone heard of this. I haven't picked the car up yet...it has been well maintained and has 130K on it (5 spd). Thanks.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
williams said:
Timing belt just broke at idle...after having been changed by the dealer 11,000 miles ago. Warranty for 12 months 12,000 miles. Dealer says the crankshaft pulley was the problem that it "separated" or split??? He is checking with the zone manager as to weather VW will cover it. Has anyone heard of this.
I can't think of any way the dealership could weasel out of this one. It doesn't matter why it broke, or what part in the timing belt pathway caused the failure.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Come on, Red... when it comes to weaseling out of warranty coverage, dealerships have amazing ingenuity!!!

For instance: the harmonic balancer came apart for no discernable reasons, possibly related to previous, hidden damage. When this happened, it caused the serpentine belt to interfere with the timing belt, destroying the engine. Since the harmonic balancer disintegration could not be detected during normal service procedures, the resulting damage will not be covered.

That's one way... I'm sure they can think of other explanations...

As you know, these things normally happen just past the 12/12 "warranty" period...

Yuri.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
williams said:
Dealer says the crankshaft pulley was the problem that it "separated" or split???
Most dampers are sealed with layers of elastomer strips inside so yeah I guess that could happen.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
dhdenney said:
Most dampers are sealed with layers of elastomer strips inside so yeah I guess that could happen.
Just last month there was a car here with a damper where the outer ring for the serpentine belt was loose from the inner part. Serpentine belt squeal at idle, but it went away at higher RPM. It needed to be replaced. Total failure was imminent.