Possible itinerary. Suggestions? Comments?

M

mickey

This is part of an e-mail I just sent to Pugs:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Friday. Arrive & check in. Hang out. Enjoy Park City. Hiking, Mtn. Biking, Main Street...the usual tourist stuff. Tech session in the evening, hopefully at Cutrubus. (They've asked to be a Sponsor. Karmann is handling that, but if you could talk to your buddy who works there I'd appreciate it. Perhaps we could assess a $5 per car fee for attendance to help make it worth his while.)

Saturday: Bonneville Salt Flats and 130 MPH Club. Trip to the Zoo or Lagoon or something for family members who don't want to do the "desert" thing. (May need to rent a couple of BIG passenger vans. Preferably diesel ones.) Possibly a dyno session in the evening, if we can arrange one.

Sunday: Autocross, if we can arrange a big parking lot. Car show, with booths or displays from sponsors. (Cardwell Distributing is on board. Cutrubus might get VWoA involved.) It's possible we might be able to arrange for the Auto-X in the parking lot of the Park City Mountain Resort, or Deer Valley. Not sure about that, though...might have to have it in Salt Lake. Awards Banquet in the evening in Park City.

Monday: Scenic Mountain Drive to end the GTG. (Routes through the Alpine Loop and other sightseeing places will be provided for folks who have spare time earlier during the weekend.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-mickey

ScottTDI

Veteran Member
Sounds good Mickey. I would definitely like to see as much "Tech Sessions" as possible. Are any Upsolute official prom burners going to be there? I would hold out to be Upsoluted there if that is possible. The rumored ram air kits would probably be ready too eh?

Thx,

Scott

M

mickey

I would imagine that Upsolute will be there in force.

-mickey

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
"salt flat flatulance" LOL

I love it.

Schedule looks good mickey. I suspect the whole weekend will be one big tech session.

Can't wait.

M

mickey

It looks like the "official" tech session will, indeed, be at Cutrubus VW on Friday evening. We can put together a nice, scenic 1 hour drive to the dealership from Park City. Not quite as quick as going through Salt Lake, but prettier to look at. In fact, if we leave early enough we could probably hit the Air Force Museum at Hill Field on the way! That's well worth a side trip.

-mickey

M

mickey

Pretty much. There might be some minor shuffling because I'd like to add a couple of things, including a "TDI Fest Shooting Day" out in the desert for the gun nuts amongst us.

-mickey

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Guns at a tdi fest? As I recall, "Happy Hour" at Fest 1 began as soon as we reached the Wilmington Hilton parking lot and moved from room to room, floor to floor. Guns and booze. Just what we need to impress the natives. Count me out of this one.

GassinGerhard

Veteran Member
Chicken! Gun control means being able to hit yer target, hickup. Let's do a few shots o' JD, then jump in the dubs and head to the range. Last one there gets a few new vent holes for free! (LOL)

Drive fast and take chances!

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: GassinGerhard ]

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Steve, Mickey was joking. TDI Fest is a family affair with the focus towards TDI's and friendships.

Also anyone in the vacinity, please give Mickey any help you can in planning and running this.

Thanks,

Fred

M

mickey

Uhhh...actually, I wasn't joking. I'd like to hook up with fellow gun crazies and make big rocks into little rocks! But this will be entirely independent of other "official" activities.

Actually, I may just hook up with a few guys and hit a local gun club or shooting range one evening. I really don't think we'll have time to drive out in the desert. But I'd kind of like to see just how accurate the NRA types are! I'm a pretty darned good shot, as hippies go.

However, I can understand the issue from both sides. If Management really frowns on any association with TDIClub and weaponry, then I'll nix the whole idea. I really don't care enough to make an issue of it.

Bear in mind, though, that this is America...and inevitably a certain number of Fest attendees will be packing heat. That's what we do out here in the Wild West. I don't have a concealed-carry permit myself, but Utah does recognize the permits from several other states.

-mickey

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: mickey ]

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I'd be interested in joining a sane and sober group out in the desert. Any booze (other than targets) though, and see ya. BTW: warm agitated coke cans explode nicely.

M

mickey

I used to blast cans of Freon R12. Can you imagine how much I wish I has those things now? They're worth a fortune!

-mickey

p.s. Starter fluid next to a lighted road flare is pretty cool, too. BOOM!!!

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
Sounds like FUN mickey!
What kind of range would be available? Short range, like for pistol? Or LONG range like for rifle (200+ yards please?) My "home" range is limited to 300 yards Max. Anything longer would be interesting to try!

Like you said, maybe a few of us could sneak off for a bit and pop a primer or three.

Drive ON!

M

mickey

I found out that shooting old tires with a shotgun isn't the best idea in the world. The first time, I thought I was being stung by insects. After a few more rounds I finally figured it out, though....

-mickey

p.s. 300 yards? How about 300 MILES! No matter how big the gun, I can find a place where you can safely let fly!

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
now that EB lives, I think we need a tour of the garage and driveway where she was reborn. I also think the wife and family need a testimonial dinner given in their honor to celebrate the endless patience shown in the painful re-birth. Can we all catch a ride?
Merna and I are driving a long way to see this ledgend, please keep it running.
Jim

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Back to my original post -- I was the one joking -- not about guns so much but about firewater mixed with firearms ... Any "Fest 1" attendee can attest that I was not a part of the merriment (I have always been totally dry - have fun but stay dry)-- but I do have eyes and ears. I just hope the sane and sober attitude prevails when guns enter the room -- but I get a chuckle imagining a reveler with a home brew in one hand and a "legal" weapon in the other. Should make for some fun -- concealed or not.

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: SteveS ]