Feed back on RC4

gborgh

TDI
2003 jetta tdi 1.9l
I am sending away for RC 4 and was looking for some feed back. I'd like to know how much boost it will make and what type of numbers I will be looking at with my set up. I was considering RC 5 but I think I would have to update my nozzles which I am not looking to do. Any info will be appreciated. Thank You.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
OK. Given that 18 PSI (with a VNT-15) and full fuel with sprint 520s yields no smoke, I can't see how RC4 (22 PSI or so) is going to do anything for ya on a 17/22 other than waste fuel and make heat. RC3 (18 PSI) might be better suited to those nozzles.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
I had that set up for a while. It was very nice. I am sure you told RC what your hardware is, so he will tweek his RC4 to fit your car.

lots of fun!! serious pull before and AFTER 3000rpms!!!!

then well I just "had" to get more. . .3bar, PP502, and now an 11mm IP. I need to re-dyno. .

with a VNT17, Sprint 520's I put down 141HP 265 TQ. that is the same dyno used for my last pull (see siq)

considered a conservative dyno. and the very same dyno and operator used by tdiparts.com (do search for IndigoBlueWagon dyno and see all his progress)

Thats a good set up. You still have room to grow if you want it.

gborgh

TDI
2003 jetta tdi 1.9l
Peter is the one who convinced me to upgrade to the RC 4 instead of RC 3. Jason is doing some other work on my car right now and all the hardware will be relayed to Jeff. I am holding off on upgrading the nozzles for a little while. I want to see how I like this set up first.

The next step would probably be 502's, 3 bar, omi, RC5, SBC 3, fmic and so on. I am going to wait till it is time for a new clutch before I make that step. Thanks for all the info and keep it coming.

J double R

Fail Train Conductor
TDI
'00 Golf 4 door
Bob_Fout said:
OK. Given that 18 PSI (with a VNT-15) and full fuel with sprint 520s yields no smoke, I can't see how RC4 (22 PSI or so) is going to do anything for ya on a 17/22 other than waste fuel and make heat. RC3 (18 PSI) might be better suited to those nozzles.
those nozzles are only going to fuel as much as they can. if anything, that turbo is going to flow MORE air, which will be MORE fuel efficient, and COOLER, because of the larger amount of air flowing into that engine.

bigger turbos dont waste fuel and cause heat. excessive fueling wastes fuel and causes heat.

lawallac

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I think you really should get the 3 bar MAP installed before the tune so you can run higher boost. Anyone know what the stock MAP will meter effectively, 2.5 bar?
Also, you may be fine with the clutch that you're running. I've had pp520s and RC3 for 70k m and RC4 and the 17/22 for 12k m. I've still got the stock clutch. I haven't had any slipping, but I do have a SBC3 sitting around here ready.

gborgh

TDI
2003 jetta tdi 1.9l
Could I go to a 3 bar map without upgrading nozzles? I will be upgrading the nozzles in the future, but it is an expense I did not plan on at this time.

lawallac

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
It doesn't really matter. But you don't want to the 3 bar sensor and drive it around without having it tuned for it.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I haven't driven RC4 for ALH but I have driven RC5 for ALH, my current PD RC4, and I've talked in great detail with RC6 customers. Here's what I've gathered: RC4 is nice- about 22 psi IIRC. RC5 is a big difference from RC4- 25 psi plus on that as well as RC6.

Now, you have to have a 3 bar to run anything over 22 psi as that's the limit of the MAP. I know with RC5 you'd need larger nozzles, intercooler, exhaust at the minimum. You may be alright with your RC4 request but I'd double check with Jeff to see if there's anything else you may be missing, or needing, to take advantage of that tune. He might just set up a 21 psi RC4 tune. If that was the case, you'd get plenty of scoot with zero smoke and have a turbo that lasts a very very long time. Not too bad IMO... Good luck!

Dankcorey22

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 ALH & 83 1.6 TD CY
my RC3 if i stomp the pedel i can hit 27psi with my stock turbo. ( i just did that right after i got tuned ) i was not expecting that much i try to take it easy to preserve my turbo until i get the big one, whenever Aaron comes out with them!

gborgh

TDI
2003 jetta tdi 1.9l
This car is a daily driver and I would like to get as much out of it as I can. However, reliability is still important. I am glad to hear that I should get lots of life out of my turbo and may pick up some MPG. I am not going to try to win any races or set records on a dyno. I just want a car with plenty of get up that will last me another 200k miles. I'm not looking for a smoker either. It sounds like I am on the right track. I really appreciate all the help.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I love my RC4 setup!!!

I am VERY HAPPY with my RC4 setup in my 02 Golf TDI with "only" 315k miles on it now. I've had RC4 in it since 285k miles. I previously had RC3 and was last dynoed at 138HP/262ft-lbs. The only mods since then are RC4, VNT-17, and TDIparts 2.5" DP+cat+new 2.5" exhaust. The exhaust had to be done after hitting a truck tire tread on the highway which yanked and broke the flex pipe up front.

My mods:
RC4b tune (upgraded from RC3 @ 285k)
Boostvalve
PP520 nozzles (installed @ 205k)
VNT-17 turbo (installed @ 285k)
EuroJet FMIC (installed @ 229k)
TDIparts 2.5" DP, hi-flow cat, 2.5" exhaust w/glasspack resonator (installed @ 270k)
G60/VR6 clutch (installed at 152k, just barely holding now w/RC4)

I still have the stock 2.5 bar MAP. The only reason why I didn't go for a VNT-17/22 was that I already had a brand new VNT-17 all ready and waiting to be installed.

I've found my smoke is LESS with RC4 than it was with RC3 and stock turbo (VNT-15). MPGs also appear to be slightly better too. I get a nice poof of smoke during spool-up when I stomp on it but smoke is GONE as soon as its fully on-boost. If I roll into it instead of stoming on it, the response is completely smokeless. :cool:

I absolutely love the weapons-grade TORQUE with RC4! :cool: I haven't dynoed this setup yet. The less smoke compared to my previous setup plus the slight improvement in MPGs comes as a bonus.

Last edited:

gborgh

TDI
2003 jetta tdi 1.9l
n1das,
Did you notice a substantial increase in power when you upgraded to RC4? I will have a very similar set up to yours except for the pp520 instead of sprint 520's and 17/22 instead of vnt 17 turbo. Did you notice a big drop in EGT's when you installed the FMIC? I have heard mixed reviews on them depending on the type of driving you do. I have been told by several people that for my use I will not need one yet. I might consider it if I go to the 502's.