www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Future TDIFests

Future TDIFests Discussions about future TDIfests

Closed Thread

Old October 17th, 2016, 07:36   #61
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
I'd love to do a local GTG in Central Texas. Heck, even if we had quarterly or bi-annual GTG's in different parts of Texas, for those of us who live here, that would be quite nice (I know there are lots of us TDI drivers, as previously discussed, but being the big state it is, we're very spread out). GTG's in general, regardless of state/region, could be good - local clubs could have more say in planning out a larger TDIfest and help to captivate more interest in the larger event. Or... my idea could be full of crap. But I'm thinking more of the former.

But going back to Lawson's suggestions, I'm really liking the idea of GTGs, again, possibly by region even. We could have one for New England, Eastern Seaboard, South West, West, Midwest, etc. Just depends on who's interested and obviously making it happen. Maybe have fun outings driving on scenic roads, raffles, short (1-2 hour) seminars.
GTGs are an integral part of the community, and meeting fellow forum members bolsters the sense of membership and belonging, and leads long friendships and resources. They're like going to your neighborhood block party - you end up being more than people who share a common space - you actually get to know each other and put faces to the names.

I highly recommend frequenting the regional/GTG discussion forums and making an effort to reach out to people and participate in activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchill View Post
A long time ago it was discussed that Tdifest could be done in regions...ie: eastern one year, central next year, western the following and repeating. That would be great..but as mentioned...it takes work and attendance for that to all happen...we have not had good attendance the last few years and in terms of planning...its always the same people...we will burn them out and have nothing if this continues. In my opinion, there are a few factors contributing to the decline of attendance. One is the lack of GTG's. Without these...we are all essentially internet lurkers with little to connect us outside of the virtual world. As a result...few would be willing to travel to a destination for what is essentially a large gtg. We need the small ones. Those are the fuel that create the fire that drives the club.

Another is that for several years(the commonrail years) many buyers are regular buyers as opposed to enthusiasts. Regular buyers typically have no interest in the car beyond transportation...and as so many owners are now regular buyers...our attendance overall dropped. With the older cars, folks would search out ways to get problems solved, work done more accurately, performance mods done and so on. Once they discovered what is essentially a treasure trove of knowledge and devotion to fellow enthusiasts....they became as crazy as the rest of us. Enter the new owners. Some still come for answers to questions or to have work done or modifications...but mostly...its complaining. And many have no interest in solutions so the whole scene suffers. Older members get jaded by all the shenanigans and stop logging in as much...if at all.

Some of the lack of attendance is simple life...babies, moves, changes in occupations or scheduling...and so on. Life uses up our time...so we dont always have time for a forum. But you know what? We make time for the things we enjoy. How many people religiously watch the walking dead...or game of thrones and such as these? Some binge watch whole seasons. So really, is it lack of time? or lack of interest? Many of the newer owners as I said are not enthusiasts...not much interest. And as the newer cars seem to be the bulk of the wheels on the ground...thats a factor. Along with so many returning their cars for cash....there may be significantly less cars....and less owners...therefor less members(active ones).

How to engage the minds and hearts of diesel loving people again? I'm open to suggestions...I have some ideas, but it takes a concerted effort by all interested parties to remedy this decline. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to attend tdifest this year. It was fun as always...but I did notice a small resurgence of young enthusiasts...and also new faces that were older. So perhaps we will be on he mend if we continue to work at it. Fred also did a couple of Q&A's to feel out the club for ideas on how to improve things. What people would like to see...new..and old...

The level of talent at the typical tdifest is staggering. If we had gtg's like that...we would have way more interest. Once this scandal is on the mend...I think people will be more open to the return of the diesel(star wars pun intended). We however must be ready to receive them in the way we used to...my hope is that more of the newer owners will become enthusiasts due to the love of the car as a tool...and the need to find ways to continue driving them. This is a small seed that can grow into a mighty tree if we could find a way to keep it watered....
Chris, you're right on the money, as usual. GTGs are key to keeping things at a higher level than just an online community. I think once Dieselgate is settled, we will see the enthusiast base grow. Many of the "normies," if you will, will turn their vehicles in and move on to something else, and the enthusiasts will be more interested in keeping their TDIs on the road. The question will be: is that enthusiast base enough to sustain the community for the foreseeable future? I don't know, but we will find out soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I've talked with organizers about the every other year idea for TDIFest. I know other organizations who do that, and it seems to result in better attendance.

I'm still hoping for one somewhere in the West, hopefully where it's cool on Labor Day.
I think the two year rotation will help reduce pressure on the planners, and allow more time to plan successful events in new locations. On the flip side, is every-other-year often enough to keep people interested? With regular local GTGs, I think so.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:00   #62
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I think the two year rotation will help reduce pressure on the planners, and allow more time to plan successful events in new locations. On the flip side, is every-other-year often enough to keep people interested? With regular local GTGs, I think so.
Given what I know about human nature, the first year will go by with nothing happening and then we will be back into the one year period where everything gets pulled together.

I think the key to making a Fest happen is the "core" group pushing effect on the locals who are hosting the event. I know that it's not the ideal way to do it, but according to what you expressed earlier, it's been the way it has worked in the past.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
Old October 17th, 2016, 10:14   #63
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I attend a couple of non-TDI/non-car events which take place every two years which are successful. One difference here is that these events are based in the same location (Duluth, MN and Twin Cities) every time although specifics of the event do vary. Benefits of using same location over and over is that planning is streamlined once past the first event. As these events are smaller in scale attendance-wise (45 people was the most I've ever seen in the past - and yes, there is a limit on attendees by choice to keep things manageable) it is organized by one person who sometimes has help from a friend or two. What also helps is the organizer works with another group who provides most of the actual personnel/equipment to make the event happen.

I like doing these events as it is often enough to be familiar / in mind yet not so often it becomes boring / routine. Having it in the same location helps for knowing where things are (event location, hotels, restaurants, etc.) for repeat attendees as half of us who attend are regulars who keep coming back.

This is an apples to oranges comparison as these events I attend in Minnesota do not have the attendee numbers, banquet, etc. that the TDI Fests have. I do feel having the Fest every two years instead of annually is a good way to go in the future. Even though the Minnesota events I attend are smaller it is still work to put on and the organizer likes having that break between each one. While I realize there are advantages to having TDI Fest in a different location each time there are also benefits to using the same location such as establishing a strong working relationship with a hotel. Basically you won't please all the people no matter how it is set up. There is a reason most TDI Fests have been held in the East Coast / Midwestern regions plus Toronto and Montreal as there are more members to draw from who are willing to get involved with hosting a Fest.

I think VeeDubTDI is correct in his thinking a year should be taken off from having a TDI Fest and seeing how Dieselgate plays out during 2017. Then plans can be made for another Fest in 2018 assuming a suitable city and core group of organizers for same can be identified if there are still enough dedicated TDI enthusiasts still active then which should still be the case.

Hopefully local GTG's will continue and even make a mini-comeback but I don't think it will equal what we had back in 2002-2009 far as how many local GTG's took place then as that period is starting to look like the Golden Age of GTG's now... Hope I'm wrong here!
Old October 17th, 2016, 11:31   #64
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

TDIFest in YPSI, one year, Herndon VA the next, and St Louis the year after that, and perhaps out west somewhere the 4th year, then just keep rotating them?

or bounce back and forth between ones that we have done already like Ypsi, MI and Herndon, VA every other year until some other group steps up to add to the rotation?

these fests are the ones I enjoyed the most and were successful venues and I would be willing to go to regularly.
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Old October 17th, 2016, 12:00   #65
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
TDIFest in YPSI, one year, Herndon VA the next, and St Louis the year after that, and perhaps out west somewhere the 4th year, then just keep rotating them?

or bounce back and forth between ones that we have done already like Ypsi, MI and Herndon, VA every other year until some other group steps up to add to the rotation?

these fests are the ones I enjoyed the most and were successful venues and I would be willing to go to regularly.
There should be at least one Canadian location in the rotation, IMO.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
Old October 17th, 2016, 17:00   #66
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Everything is moot if you cannot put a group in place! And the present group have said they are basically done.....
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
Old October 18th, 2016, 15:25   #67
fase2000TDI

Fuel Economy: 52, 45 38

Ashevile, NC
Phoenix, AZ
These would be my top choices.
TDI service available - timing belts, clutch jobs, cv joint rebuilds, engine rebuilds, maintenance, low power diagnosis, suspension. DSG service $180 Have CAN VCDS for CR TDI's PM here, call or email JeremyTDI@yahoo.com (401)-919-0466 Quotes available, very fair rates

Last edited by fase2000TDI; October 18th, 2016 at 15:32.
Old October 18th, 2016, 15:34   #68
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fase2000TDI View Post
Ashevile, NC
Phoenix, AZ
These would be my top choices.
Are you Volunteering and have a group together?
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
Old October 18th, 2016, 16:34   #69
aja8888
Veteran Member

Phoenix, on Labor Day weekend?
Old October 18th, 2016, 18:02   #70
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Right. Chilly.
Old October 18th, 2016, 19:12   #71
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Right. Chili.
There, I fixed it for ya.

Though while it may be chili today, it could be hot tamale.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
Old October 18th, 2016, 19:34   #72
aja8888
Veteran Member

Historical average Labor Day high temp in Phoenix is 101 F.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 17:12   #73
ottomatic
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've talked with organizers about the every other year idea for TDIFest. I know other organizations who do that, and it seems to result in better attendance.

I'm still hoping for one somewhere in the West, hopefully where it's cool on Labor Day.
How about Colorado. Then I could trailer my XR650R & do some awesome riding again.
Preferably: Deadwood , Colo.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 18:01   #74
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomatic View Post
How about Colorado. Then I could trailer my XR650R & do some awesome riding again.
Preferably: Deadwood , Colo.
Are you volunteering to get a group together and submit a proposal for the Colorado location?
Old October 23rd, 2016, 18:17   #75
ottomatic
Veteran Member

No.
I live in TN.
Besides I am just an idea man, my organization skills are limited .

Why not Fredericksburg TX. That's an awesome place

Last edited by ottomatic; October 23rd, 2016 at 18:21.
Closed Thread