www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Future TDIFests

Future TDIFests Discussions about future TDIfests

Closed Thread

Old October 13th, 2016, 23:36   #46
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

No new updates on TDIfest 2017, if we end up having it (which I hope we do)?
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
Old October 14th, 2016, 08:29   #47
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
No new updates on TDIfest 2017, if we end up having it (which I hope we do)?
Yes, I have not seen any progress either. Sure hope we have one somewhere out west.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
Old October 14th, 2016, 09:04   #48
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

I haven't seen any proposals or serious interest other than some casual chatter about Lake Tahoe or somewhere in the southwest. This is a big event, and it doesn't plan itself. If something is going to happen for 2017, some serious proposals will need to show up in the next few weeks in order to make it happen.

I don't think I'll be able to assist with the planning of a 2017 Fest. I have a lot of stuff going on at work right now, and we are entertaining the idea of making a big move this coming summer. I don't want to extend the offer to help plan and then not be able to follow through on that commitment.

Maybe it would be a good idea to move to an every-other-year model, which will give people more time to explore options and put plans together. Ideas for 2018?

Also, it would be a good idea to start putting some local GTGs together. Build up the social meets and get people involved in brainstorming Fest ideas.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; October 14th, 2016 at 09:09.
Old October 14th, 2016, 10:20   #49
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I haven't seen any proposals or serious interest other than some casual chatter about Lake Tahoe or somewhere in the southwest. This is a big event, and it doesn't plan itself. If something is going to happen for 2017, some serious proposals will need to show up in the next few weeks in order to make it happen.

I don't think I'll be able to assist with the planning of a 2017 Fest. I have a lot of stuff going on at work right now, and we are entertaining the idea of making a big move this coming summer. I don't want to extend the offer to help plan and then not be able to follow through on that commitment.

Maybe it would be a good idea to move to an every-other-year model, which will give people more time to explore options and put plans together. Ideas for 2018?

Also, it would be a good idea to start putting some local GTGs together. Build up the social meets and get people involved in brainstorming Fest ideas.
as one who has attended all but 2 and won nearly every award this is very depressing....But sort of knew this was coming, the great VW TDI disaster it is a shame..... Hopefully the Fests will continue...
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
Old October 14th, 2016, 10:40   #50
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
as one who has attended all but 2 and won nearly every award this is very depressing....But sort of knew this was coming, the great VW TDI disaster it is a shame..... Hopefully the Fests will continue...
Agreed, going to an every other year schedule puts the Fest out of the minds of members and with the loss of membership via dieselgate, I would guess that interest would be minimal, at best.
Old October 14th, 2016, 10:46   #51
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Agreed, going to an every other year schedule puts the Fest out of the minds of members and with the loss of membership via dieselgate, I would guess that interest would be minimal, at best.
And the other problem is this, Fred uses the proceeds of the Fest to fund this site with no Advertising.....No fests....no money to continue running TDI Club.
so only time will tell.
I still have 2 TDI's and not selling mine back.....however watching GM with great interest!
Old October 14th, 2016, 11:37   #52
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Well - that's the situation. People can step up and do something about it, or we can go down the path described above. I've invested countless hours on five TDIFest (plus one that didn't come to fruition), and it's someone else's turn to carry the torch.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
Old October 14th, 2016, 12:26   #53
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Well - that's the situation. People can step up and do something about it, or we can go down the path described above. I've invested countless hours on five TDIFest (plus one that didn't come to fruition), and it's someone else's turn to carry the torch.
Yep! And in nearly all of those if you and your core group hadn't stepped up those Fest's most likely wouldn't have occurred.....
Thanks for all you have done!
Old October 15th, 2016, 11:18   #54
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Quote:
Yes, I have not seen any progress either. Sure hope we have one somewhere out west.
Out west is totally fine by me, since I'm out there to visit family every so often anyways.

Quote:

I'd love to do a local GTG in Central Texas. Heck, even if we had quarterly or bi-annual GTG's in different parts of Texas, for those of us who live here, that would be quite nice (I know there are lots of us TDI drivers, as previously discussed, but being the big state it is, we're very spread out). GTG's in general, regardless of state/region, could be good - local clubs could have more say in planning out a larger TDIfest and help to captivate more interest in the larger event. Or... my idea could be full of crap. But I'm thinking more of the former.

Quote:
Quote:
Dieselgate is hurting everyone, especially our gurus that we turn to when we have problems we can't fix ourselves. My Texas mechanic told me that he started amping up inventory and bought more lifts - when dieselgate hit, business revenue fell in the toilet, as tuning for CR's/maintenance made up the bulk of his business. I know for a fact that this has hurt other tuners/gurus and suppliers alike.

Quote:
And the other problem is this, Fred uses the proceeds of the Fest to fund this site with no Advertising.....No fests....no money to continue running TDI Club.
so only time will tell.
I still have 2 TDI's and not selling mine back.....however watching GM with great interest!
Nor am I. I don't know what I'll be doing for my JSW, but I opted out of the class. I don't drive that car as much, but it's not going anywhere. I love both of them, and even contemplated ditching the Saab and replacing it with an ALH Golf or Beetle. I think those of us who have/had 2 or more TDIs/diesels definitely have more of an interest in seeing the continuance of TDIfest.

But going back to Lawson's suggestions, I'm really liking the idea of GTGs, again, possibly by region even. We could have one for New England, Eastern Seaboard, South West, West, Midwest, etc. Just depends on who's interested and obviously making it happen. Maybe have fun outings driving on scenic roads, raffles, short (1-2 hour) seminars.

Quote:
Would it be possible to maybe have a sticky in the most visited sub-forums with a poll or a "symbolic link sticky" that all points to one sticky, where we can try and gauge interest as a whole among the TDIclub userbase for a TDIfest 2017?
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
Old October 15th, 2016, 11:32   #55
tomo366
TDI Lifer

A few years ago GTG's were held often PeterV and I would go to GTG's all over the East Coast and in the Midwest...... then He got Married and I got Dogs and about the same time people lost interest and a lot of the senior guys simply walked away from the club.......GTG's are now rare and non existent in most areas... and the Fest attendance has been declining even before Diesel gate happened... It has been hard to get groups for years fortunately Lawson and his group has held it together.... there are still a few GTG's but for the most part are few and far between.....I retired and now I work more tha I did when I was working...OH Well hoping for the best!
Old October 15th, 2016, 15:21   #56
romad
Veteran Member

Or as in the case of the twice-per-year Bay Area GTG which died because one a**h*** had a hissyfit and made bogus claims to the state and owner of the building where they were held about how we were violating the law. End of NorCal GTGs.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
Old October 15th, 2016, 15:38   #57
aja8888
Veteran Member

Since I have been a member, the Texas TDI owners have tried to have GTG's yearly. One was pretty successful in 2009 or 2010 in Houston with maybe 20 folks showing up at Bar Tuning. Jeff was there and sold some tunes. Another was set in Fort Worth a couple of years later and it was pretty much a bomb.

Since then, no other GTG's have been scheduled in Texas that I know of. One was attempted, but never got off the ground. It appears there are not enough TDI member drivers here and the ones that are, seem to have no interest or are 100's of miles apart.
Old October 15th, 2016, 19:11   #58
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

A long time ago it was discussed that Tdifest could be done in regions...ie: eastern one year, central next year, western the following and repeating. That would be great..but as mentioned...it takes work and attendance for that to all happen...we have not had good attendance the last few years and in terms of planning...its always the same people...we will burn them out and have nothing if this continues. In my opinion, there are a few factors contributing to the decline of attendance. One is the lack of GTG's. Without these...we are all essentially internet lurkers with little to connect us outside of the virtual world. As a result...few would be willing to travel to a destination for what is essentially a large gtg. We need the small ones. Those are the fuel that create the fire that drives the club.

Another is that for several years(the commonrail years) many buyers are regular buyers as opposed to enthusiasts. Regular buyers typically have no interest in the car beyond transportation...and as so many owners are now regular buyers...our attendance overall dropped. With the older cars, folks would search out ways to get problems solved, work done more accurately, performance mods done and so on. Once they discovered what is essentially a treasure trove of knowledge and devotion to fellow enthusiasts....they became as crazy as the rest of us. Enter the new owners. Some still come for answers to questions or to have work done or modifications...but mostly...its complaining. And many have no interest in solutions so the whole scene suffers. Older members get jaded by all the shenanigans and stop logging in as much...if at all.

Some of the lack of attendance is simple life...babies, moves, changes in occupations or scheduling...and so on. Life uses up our time...so we dont always have time for a forum. But you know what? We make time for the things we enjoy. How many people religiously watch the walking dead...or game of thrones and such as these? Some binge watch whole seasons. So really, is it lack of time? or lack of interest? Many of the newer owners as I said are not enthusiasts...not much interest. And as the newer cars seem to be the bulk of the wheels on the ground...thats a factor. Along with so many returning their cars for cash....there may be significantly less cars....and less owners...therefor less members(active ones).

How to engage the minds and hearts of diesel loving people again? I'm open to suggestions...I have some ideas, but it takes a concerted effort by all interested parties to remedy this decline. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to attend tdifest this year. It was fun as always...but I did notice a small resurgence of young enthusiasts...and also new faces that were older. So perhaps we will be on he mend if we continue to work at it. Fred also did a couple of Q&A's to feel out the club for ideas on how to improve things. What people would like to see...new..and old...

The level of talent at the typical tdifest is staggering. If we had gtg's like that...we would have way more interest. Once this scandal is on the mend...I think people will be more open to the return of the diesel(star wars pun intended). We however must be ready to receive them in the way we used to...my hope is that more of the newer owners will become enthusiasts due to the love of the car as a tool...and the need to find ways to continue driving them. This is a small seed that can grow into a mighty tree if we could find a way to keep it watered....

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!

Last edited by mrchill; October 15th, 2016 at 19:18.
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:41   #59
TDI Owner/Operator

When I got my first TDI back in 2002 there were many local GTG's happening in Michigan and I rarely ever missed attending one. Also remember PeterV, Tomo366 and MOGolf attending quite a few of them in those days which dates me.

For a long stretch we had multiple Michigan GTG's throughout the years. We had three members who were among the first gurus. Two of them moved out of Michigan while the third got so busy with work so they were obviously no longer involved with the GTG's. After that the frequency of GTG's quickly declined to one or two per year. Seems those guys were kind of the glue that brought everyone together. Also back them it was common to have one to three timing belt jobs happen during the GTG and seeing a TB in progress during a GTG is not common now. I know some people only came to a GTG to have a TB done - is this a factor in the decline of local GTG's? People either now do a TB job on their own or make an appointment with a guru to do same it seems.

Still have Michigan GTG's which has settled into one early summer and one late summer/early fall pattern by two different hosts. It is still a good time although many of the regular faces/cars from the old days no longer show up. Do see a number of new people which is good.

Be nice to have one or two more Michigan GTG's per year but it may be too much of a good thing? I remember one summer going to about ten to twelve GTG's in both Michigan and Ohio! It was fun but almost didn't know if I was coming or going - LOL!

Personally speaking I'd like to see 3 or 4 local GTG's each year but realize I have to be thankful for the 2 that still occur. Know not everyone has the room and inclination to host a bunch of TDI'ers but there are alternatives. I used to try arranging a monthly dinner GTG in my area which got between 2 to 7 TDI's each time. It went well for a few years but then was down to only 2 or 3 of us each month then seemed no one had time/interest in continuing to attend so I stopped trying to organize the dinner GTG's. One factor here is there are not enough local TDI'ers to make up a solid core group who attend such events - or if they exist in my area they were not active on TDI Club.

I am aware of what the people in the New England region accomplish for GTG's / dinner GTG's as they have a very solid active core group. Seems they are the exception rather than the rule. Too bad other areas don't have that level of enthusiasm and support.

As for TDI Fests I attended five or six of them in a row. Enjoyed all of them but didn't get as much out of the later ones which was in part because I now had some knowledge about TDI's. My biggest factor in no longer attending TDI Fests is due to my hearing impairment as I don't do well following a speaker in a banquet/seminar/tech session setting. Same for keeping up with a conversation among multiple people. I do best one on one or with 2-4 people. So for me local GTG's work best as doing some of the Fest activities is just a waste of my time since I am not able to get much out of it personally speaking.

Also true that when I had my A4 I did a number of mods on it. With my current CR TDI I'm pretty much leaving it stock as it is satisfying to me as-is plus I no longer have the same amount of interest, time and funds to modify it. Over time things change and while it is very unlikely I will attend future TDI Fests I do hope the tradition can continue as I know those who attend a Fest get much enjoyment from same.

Sorry that I have no answers for what to do about TDI Fest in the future. Hope that my experiences listed above in regards to the Fest, local GTG's and dinner GTG's may be of use in determining a future course of action as I know the Fest is a major source of support for this website we all enjoy and make use of.
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:44   #60
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I've talked with organizers about the every other year idea for TDIFest. I know other organizations who do that, and it seems to result in better attendance.

I'm still hoping for one somewhere in the West, hopefully where it's cool on Labor Day.
Closed Thread