www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Future TDIFests

Future TDIFests Discussions about future TDIfests

Closed Thread

Old March 17th, 2013, 16:47   #16
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Brent: It'd be nice to see a Chattanooga fest, but I think you'll find that finding a venue that offers sufficient parking will be difficult, and free parking to be nearly impossible.

You might pull it off if you get a hotel in the middle of nowhere, but then you're a couple hours away from Chattanooga. (There was one resort that looked promising, about 2 hours away from Chattanooga, but it was a dry facility. And another that looked promising, about 1.5 hours away from Chattanooga, but their rates were going to be too high.)

The Marriott downtown may work, if you can get the roof of the parking garage for the show and shine, but people may not like paying for parking.
I'd have to count spaces on the roof - parking can be negotiated if that's the only major sticking point. I don't recall researching the Chatt Marriott.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
Old March 17th, 2013, 17:14   #17
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

When I was looking at hotel possibilities for Chattanooga 2013, I ruled it out due to parking being paid, but IIRC the rates were going to be completely reasonable.

The other thing is, it's attached to Chattanooga's convention center, so there may still be insufficient parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:05   #18
BMKruse
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW

Chattanooga would be a great trip. I would love to visit the plant.

The reason that I said Hot Springs was purely from a enjoyable driving based get away.

The roads and mountains make for an amazing cruise. The hotel is absolutely relaxing.

Anyways like I said in another post this will be my first Fest this year and I am looking forward to many more to come. Ill be happy with any choice.
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:21   #19
TDI_G
Veteran Member

I would love Chattanooga or somewhere in the vicinity as well. It helps also that it is only 2 hours from me.
Old March 19th, 2013, 22:49   #20
Christoper Rose

Lightbulb Motorhead Friendly Locations

I'm brand spank'in new to the group ... so I'm gonna tred lightly..

Have you guys ever considered doing this at a RoadRace track..lottsa parking, probably a fair number of hotels in the adjacent area, and maybe a trackday event could be inclusive for the need for speed in a controlled environment.

I suggest this because I used to corner work at Loudan in NH ...they were always renting the track and parking areas for events.

There was a weekly bike race on course as in bicycle. SCCA, events WERA bla bla bla..The NE Ducati owners group via a local Ducati Dealer put together a weekend gathering and Ducati NA showed up bringing a tractor trailer full of new Ducatis to test ride ; not on track but out in the parking areas, back in the day.( I wonder if VW America would do that?)... there was also a weekly drift series going off in one of the huge parking lots...

Tracks are pro motorhead and noise abatement is a non issue. If it's just a get together event in a parking lot well most tracks have miles of parking.

I don't know what goes on at TDIFEST per say maybe I'll make it to Maine and find out..

Since you guys opened the door to make suggestions theres mine ..

There are road race courses all over the country. Minnesota, New Jersey, New York New Hampshire, Florida, Georgia, Virginia, West By God Virginia, PA, Michigan, Texas, Alabama, Arizona, California,Colorado, Nevada ...and so on.

I think one of the most accommodating tracks I was ever at was Virginia International Raceway , it was like a golf course without the golf . Every staff member went out of there way to see to it that all needs were met and the place was manicured like a bonsai garden.

VIR has sister track in W.VA; Summit Point and the accommodations there were equally good. Both of those tracks are near sleepy southern towns.

Just a thought about locations.... by the way I live in Metro New York which has three nearby tracks ..Poconos, NJ Motorsports Park , and Limerock, CT and I suppose with legs Watkins Glen.
Old March 19th, 2013, 22:53   #21
Christoper Rose

Another thought would be Cape Breton with the focus on looping the Cabot Trail.
Old March 20th, 2013, 02:57   #22
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

I am of the opinion that Mr. Rose should attend a Fest to see how they work and see how they operate. We have in this, litigious society, certain requirements and protections that we have to adhere to.

You might spend some time reading the past fest threads to get a feel of how they operate.
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:07   #23
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

There are ways to get through those issues, if there's enough interest in a motorsport-focused event.

It'd be interesting to see a motorsport-oriented TDIFest, but I would say that TDIFest is a far more social event than a doing things event (not saying there's not activities - a scenic drive is a regular activity at TDIFest, and karting was used in lieu of the scenic drive at the Ypsilanti Fest). And, you've got a huge subset of the TDI community that isn't interested in motorsports much at all (yes, a lot of people have modified cars, but that doesn't mean that they have an interest in tracking their car, many just want a little more pep). Not saying it can't be done, but it's something to consider.

Speaking of which, how much participation was there with the low-speed autocross that was in Montreal IIRC? I wasn't able to attend that Fest...

I know the dyno day near the Lexington Fest had surprisingly few people show up, although that was offsite.

Quote:
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:21   #24
mrvermin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
There are ways to get through those issues, if there's enough interest in a motorsport-focused event.

It'd be interesting to see a motorsport-oriented TDIFest, but I would say that TDIFest is a far more social event than a doing things event (not saying there's not activities - a scenic drive is a regular activity at TDIFest, and karting was used in lieu of the scenic drive at the Ypsilanti Fest). And, you've got a huge subset of the TDI community that isn't interested in motorsports much at all (yes, a lot of people have modified cars, but that doesn't mean that they have an interest in tracking their car, many just want a little more pep). Not saying it can't be done, but it's something to consider.

Speaking of which, how much participation was there with the low-speed autocross that was in Montreal IIRC? I wasn't able to attend that Fest...

I know the dyno day near the Lexington Fest had surprisingly few people show up, although that was offsite.
Let's not forget the Drag Race event in Portland.

While I agree that a Motorsport style event would be interesting to have at a TDIFest, of the events that I have attended, since Ohio TDIFest, I have found that the average age and overall demeanor of the TDIClub member is a bit more mature. This is not a bad thing at all, it shows that, we can have Power with Responsibility.

I know I am going to be unpopular for saying this, but with very few exceptions, I do not feel that those in the Ontario TDI community would ever attend a TDIFest. Many are more willing to go to H2o, WaterFest, Dub@theBeach and such. TDIFest is just not their type of event.

I would say that a vast majority of those that come to TDIFest are there for the opportunity to meet other Club members, attend the Tech sessions and to support the Club and Board, not get drunk and do burnouts in the parking lot or street.

That being said, the events at TDIfest, go-carting, scenic drives and such are fun. I wish there could be a Mobile Dyno at the Fest so we could see just what improvements we had done with that new Tune we all get . and a Low Speed Autocross sounds like it would be good, if the parking lot at the hotel can support it.

Anyway, enough of my impromptu ranting, (bad morning )....

See you all at the Fest...

MrVermin

Old March 20th, 2013, 06:38   #25
Worm

Chattanooga gets my vote. I had A great time in Lexington. I just don't have the time to travel too far.
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:08   #26
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
I am of the opinion that Mr. Rose should attend a Fest to see how they work and see how they operate. We have in this, litigious society, certain requirements and protections that we have to adhere to.

You might spend some time reading the past fest threads to get a feel of how they operate.
I agree. TDIFest is structured more like a conference than a track day gathering. There is a lot of information in the Fest forums regarding event layout, activities, agendas, etc.

We have done a number of motorsport-related activities in the past, including dynos, drag racing, and auto-cross. It all depends on the organizers and what is available locally.

This year we are going to focus on a large group drive/rally/scavenger hunt because we have some awesome mountain roads at our disposal. Keep in mind that we generally center the activities around a large resort or hotel/conference center so that we can take advantage of on-site catering, guest rooms, large parking areas for vendors, show & shine, and light wrenching, ballroom space for our banquet and technical seminars, etc.

Final thought: I think it would be great to organize a big TDIClub track day at one (or several) of the US's fine race tracks? How about a TDIClub LeMons team? Given proper planning and consideration, one of these could be amazingly fun. Somewhere in New England would be a great place to start an annual or semi-annual track event due to the high concentration of TDI owners and several great tracks.

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; March 20th, 2013 at 09:27.
Old March 20th, 2013, 10:26   #27
Christoper Rose

In my post if you really just read it...not think and discect it; I was saying: lotsa space for an event, with nearby accommodations... Because it is a motorsport facility they would be proactive and highly receptive to an event, in fact they would love to cater to it.

Track day, drift day, dyno was simply me saying an event at a Motorsports facility could have perks and addional fun options. I did not say if you have an event at the track therefore you must run on the track. I apologize if that's what some of the audience got from that post.

The RoadRace; not Nascrap tracks, I've visited on the east coast were well maintained and a large group would feel welcomed and comfortable. There really nice facilities. I was simply suggesting an aternative to a RESORT thats all and a suggestion is just that...I do not know what goes on at a TDIFEST and stated as much..I'm a newbie.

However I've been to enough Ducati events to understand the similarites of events.

I kinda felt a little castigated by PETERV because I put forth a suggestion that was outside the normal box, resort, or parking lot.

I get the commaraderie, lets talk about our cars, the tech, the show and shine, but, most motorsport events also include group rides period. Just saying.

At Sunday River one winter BMW showed up with a slew of the then new 325ix and all the parking lots were sheets of ice...I was younger then and with the bmw staff we had a ball doing brodies in those parking lots. Safety was a major concern and no one crashed. Ski trails are hard pack and yeah we even took them out on some of the ski trails.

I'ved participated in no less then 5 track days and we had a blast on our bikes. In this litigous world you sign the waivers and go have fun..with the full knowledge that your bike insurance is null and void if a worst case scenario happened and you crashed out. But all the bikes get safety inspections and track safety proceedures were explained befor a single rider hit the track. It was just fun plain and simple no competition just fun.

Just to be clear I'm not a young pup I'm 55+ and I do have a need for speed. I still ride a Ducati. My rule of the road is go fast in the twisties and so down on the straights. Cops don't sit in the twisties the sit on either end of a straight.

I'm part of this forum and just wanted to contribute to it..so I made a suggestion.
Thanks.

Last edited by Christoper Rose; March 20th, 2013 at 16:13.
Old March 20th, 2013, 10:49   #28
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I think your contributions so far have been very helpful. I also appreciate your PM regarding this year's scavenger hunt/rally.

Old March 20th, 2013, 14:28   #29
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

The problem with a TDIClub LeMons team is getting something that would actually meet the budget rules in a way that would satisfy the judges, pass tech, and be competitive!

The ways I can think of:

Get a Mk2 1.6NA cheap, turbo it, and hope it holds up
Get a Mk3 TDI rustbucket cheap, a Mk2 8v cheap, and swap the TDI into the 8v
Get a Mk3 TDI rustbucket cheap, and convert it to a silhouette racer, and somehow slip that by the judges. I'd suggest a few bottles of top-shelf booze sitting in the engine bay.
Get a good ALH car cheap, and fill the trunk/hatch with top-shelf booze.

And, the ALH car may well get crushed halfway through the race, for being too expensive looking.

Quote:
Old March 20th, 2013, 18:40   #30
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

:thumbup: for LeMons

I've also in the past proposed a mileage stunt.

A motorsports event has been a part of numerous past Fests, but it's not the primary focus. In 2002, a few of us did joined an unsanctioned event at Grattan Motor Speedway's race track (not the TDIFest-organized drag race afternoon) and after the 2003 Fest in the Toronto area ended, the same people (specifically Lug_Nut and I) did a day at Mosport in our TDIs.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
Closed Thread