Can you use Vagcom on Chromebook running Ubuntu?

Minion

TDI
01 Golf 5-speed
I was on groupon today and purchased a Acer C7 chrome book when shortly after i realized that i cannot use Vagcom with it (im new cut me a break).

However i saw online that you can run the chromebook with Ubuntu which will allow it to run a modified windows operating system. Will this work with Vagcom?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This is like asking if using a MacBook Pro running Win 7 under Boot Camp will work. I've seen one thread that says it will. It'll take someone running the specific installation you describe to confirm. And remember, Ross-Tech provides NO support for such installs.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I was on groupon today and purchased a Acer C7 chrome book when shortly after i realized that i cannot use Vagcom with it (im new cut me a break).

However i saw online that you can run the chromebook with Ubuntu which will allow it to run a modified windows operating system. Will this work with Vagcom?
Ubuntu (with Wine) might work, but it will probably be a pain in the neck to set up. I have never heard of anyone ever doing this. Basically VCDS requires Windows in one form or another. However, this will change one of these months when Ross-Tech releases VCDS-Mobile which will work on ANY device with WiFi and a web browser. More details here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-mobile/

The last I heard Ross-Tech was trying to release this before the end of the year (in time for Christmas?), but no firm date has been announced. Ross-Tech has a VCDS-Mobile mailing list where the latest info is sent out, but I have not subscribed.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
The last I heard Ross-Tech was trying to release this before the end of the year (in time for Christmas?), but no firm date has been announced. Ross-Tech has a VCDS-Mobile mailing list where the latest info is sent out, but I have not subscribed.

Have Fun!

Don
I have been subscribed to that particular mailing list for a few months, but I've not received any news thus far.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
not a modified version of windows...just running windows in a virtual machine

first you need to get Chrubuntu (which is ubuntu for chrome), then you need to get virtualbox for ubuntu (which is a free virtual machine program), then you need to install your version of windows inside virtualbox (it's fairly straight forward)

then you install VCDS inside Windows

then everything will work fine

I have used VCDS inside of a virtualbox Windows XP and Windows 7 installation without issue on my macbook running OSX.

Jagerbecher

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen, MT
I have VCDS running in Ubuntu under Wine quite well but for some reason program freezes after some time, like after swithing or openning/closing or minimizing/maximizing VCDS windows. But it could be a problem with my graphics. Cable interface works without problems as long as it's COM, not USB. Have not heard anybody made it working with any USB interface.
I have VCDS running on my other laptop with SLED11SP2 under Wine and it works great, no issues whatsoever. VC-scope as well.

shanate

TDI
06 Jetta, 11 Amarok

first you need to get chrubuntu (which is ubuntu for chrome), then you need to get virtualbox for ubuntu (which is a free virtual machine program), then you need to install your version of windows inside virtualbox (it's fairly straight forward)

then you install vcds inside windows

i have used vcds inside of a virtualbox windows xp and windows 7 installation without issue on my macbook running osx.
inception

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL

first you need to get Chrubuntu (which is ubuntu for chrome), then you need to get virtualbox for ubuntu (which is a free virtual machine program), then you need to install your version of windows inside virtualbox (it's fairly straight forward)

then you install VCDS inside Windows

I have used VCDS inside of a virtualbox Windows XP and Windows 7 installation without issue on my macbook running OSX.
Meh . . . just use qemu/kvm, which is part of Ubuntu . . . works great, and I have found zero Windows programs that won't work. Just make sure the USB passthrough device is in your VM, and VCDS won't even know that it's in a VM - it's that plug and play.

I've run 3.1, XP, 7, Server2012 and allwork flawlessly, and typically boot faster than when on the hardware itself.

- Tim

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
You described the same process I did--running a virtual machine (VirtualBox vs. QEMU) inside of Ubuntu (vs. Chrubuntu) albeit with different package names because, in case you didn't notice, it's five years later :)

Now, in 2018, chrubuntu is dead but there are about half a dozen ways to run a windows program on a Chromebook including running Windows natively. The most seamless way to run a single Windows application is likely to be WINE or Crossover. When Codeweavers first forked WINE over two decades ago, it wasn't free and it wasn't easy (and neither was WINE for that matter). Now I imagine both are much more robust and it looks like Crossover is free (I can't vouch for it since I haven't used it in over a decade) here: (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codeweavers.cxoffice)

Like anything, time is money and often the most freely given software is the most labor intensive to get working so pick your poison :)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the post prior to mine wasn't that old . . . so assumed this was recent. Considering that I live in VMs under Linux, thought the input had merit, and the topic is valid, no matter the age of the thread . . . .

So, a little less whining and a bit less criticism might be appropriate here . . . it's not like either VCDS or Linux have gone away . . . this is still a viable solution . . .

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
Systems running Windows in a virtualized environment is not supported by Ross-Tech. Virtual computers can have USB issues.

The end user may think they have it up and running, but there could be an odd ball issue that comes up:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1061-Don-t-install-VCDS-in-Fusion-on-an-Apple-computer

If one is running a virtual PC and things aren't working the way you think the should, then I would first suggest to try a supported system and see if that resolved the issue.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I fought with it under Wine recently, trying to get rid of the last vestigial requirement to have MS software on my laptop.

After many hours wasted trying, I finally gave up and bought a refurbished Dell Win tablet to do the few Windows things that I can't quite get rid of, with the added advantage that it's small enough to stash somewhere and ignore most of the time.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Systems running Windows in a virtualized environment is not supported by Ross-Tech. Virtual computers can have USB issues.

The end user may think they have it up and running, but there could be an odd ball issue that comes up:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1061-Don-t-install-VCDS-in-Fusion-on-an-Apple-computer

If one is running a virtual PC and things aren't working the way you think the should, then I would first suggest to try a supported system and see if that resolved the issue.

And as I have noted prior, I personally could care less if you support something you don't understand or use. If it works, I'm OK with it. If not, I run WhinDerp on a piece of old crap hardware, since I have *ZERO* use for it other than for a few tools like this. Don't confuse "supprted" with "works" . . . I have run numerous apps in virtualization, many with far more complex and intense USB requirements than VCDS . . . I don't recall finding a single one that did not work. Then again, this is my profession - it may not be that easy for others . . .

I can't comment about the Mac - I avoid those as well . . . I'm just talking about KVM in Linux . . .

And Wine? That's not virtualization - more of an emulator. I have found very little that worked well in Wine, and walked away from it once I got kvm/qemu up and running.

In any case, there is no risk in giving it a try. If it does not work, nothing lost other than a small amount of time . . .

Just trying to provide information from the other side of the fence . . . .

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
Don't confuse "supprted" with "works" .
We never have. If someone can get it to work, that's cool by us.

What "Not Supported" means is: Don't expect us to help you make it work, and don't complain at us if it doesn't work reliably or consistently. ;)

-Uwe-