Invest in it or sell it?

scanchattanooga

TDI
2004 Jetta
So after the few bites I've had on my '04 Jetta that needs a camshaft and lifters (and will be due in 20k for a TB), and the prices I've been offered, and researching what my truck is worth and what I owe on it, now I'm starting to think about selling the truck and getting the work done on my Jetta... my biggest concern is after I get that work done, should I be good to go for another 100k miles? I'm concerned that the camshaft and lifter problem could return again or have they been redesigned? (No, I've not opened the engine up myself, I'm a radio guy, not a car guy at all.)

We picked up a brand new shiny black '12 Jetta (sorry, it's not a diesel but the price was soooo right) and the idea of a two-VW house is a little intriguing. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that I can get another 80k miles or so out of this car and I'd be willing to invest in it. I've had all of the PM done on it regularly so far so it's not had an abusive life or anything...

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I would have no worries about it lasting at least another 80k, but then again; I only really know ALHs. If you have any worries, at all, talk to Franko6. He is the "head guy" around here and has likely seen all that there is to see with the BEW heads. DanG144 and Paramedick are also good ones to talk to as they've had many a TDI through their shops and are relatively close by.

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
With 6000mi oil changes (and good oil) you shouldnt have a problem getting atleast 100 000mi out of the new camshaft minimum!! Probably more like 150-180k mi.

I have yet to replace a BEW cam, but have done 5 BRM cams in the past year or so and they all happened between 110k mi (extremely poor maintenance) and 160k mi.

scanchattanooga

TDI
2004 Jetta
So I've decided to keep it after all. Thanks for all of your advice and input.

Besides, two Jettas side-by-side in the garage will look pretty sweet.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I think that was the good choice. Getting out of the loan on the truck and putting money into the car that should keep on moving. I have an 04 and brother an 05 both at 130K without any added engine work so far other then timing belt. The rest was other systems or add-ons we wanted.