Fuel Treatment

klumley

TDI
Golf Comfortline, 2012, Blue Graphite
Has anybody had any experience using a diesel fuel treatment? Specifically, I'm interested to know if there's any advantage as far as clearing/preventing carbon build-up, but also if there's any discernable improvement in performance and/or fuel economy.

There's a product available from Wynn's:

Spit Fire® Premium Diesel Fuel Treatment
- Removes injector, intake and combustion chamber deposits, improves fuel economy
- Provides exceptional fuel lubricity for reducing fuel pump and injector wear
- Increases cetane 2 to 6 numbers resulting in reduced engine knock, improved low temperature starting, smoother idling, shortened warm-up time and reduced emissions.

This stuff runs CDN$4.00/bottle, and will treat 110L of fuel (two tanks worth in my A4 Golf).

Thoughts?

Cheers.

maxforce

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf, 04 Jetta, 84 300SD
standyne, power service(grey, white, and artic bottles) Primrose and biodiesel. Everyone has there favorite. Do a search of any and you will have a days worth of reading. I use to use Power Service, antigel, winter and cetane boost, summer. I run b100 now and don't use any.

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
I would like to see you guys expound a little bit more on this subject. One of the things my dealer will add to the cost of my 10,000 service is a $3.50 charge for a fuel additive. I'm on my 4th diesel and I personally have never added anything to my fuel.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
from Wynn's: Spit Fire® Premium Diesel Fuel Treatment
This stuff runs CDN$4.00/bottle, and will treat 110L of fuel (two tanks worth in my A4 Golf).
Thoughts?
Cheers.
Sounds expensive at C$2 a tank.

VW recommend Stanadyne performance, which also costs a bit.
A lot of people use Power Service, (grey bottle) which seems as good and is more reasonable. www.powerservice.ca
Howes is very popular and is available from almost any truck stop in Canada, which is a recommendation in its own right, it doesn't have any cetane though.
I like Racor Performance plus, and Kleen-Flo Lubricity.
Others, not available in my area:
Primrose, FTTP also has followers, as does Redline.
There's quite a few.

The additives are used:
1) as insurance to lube the fuel pump.
2) Quietens the engine,
3) Improves low rpm power.
4) Improves engine when its running cold.
5) Improves economy, which at least covers the cost of the additive.
6) Provides a clean(er) burn.

hope this helps.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
somone floated a rumor about a year ago that VWoA would stop recommending the Stanadyne product and switch over to Wynn's. I don't believe that was anything more than another internet rumor.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Well my dealer still has plenty of Stanadyne on his shelf (I however bought a case from tdiparts.com) which is pricey at 3.95 a bottle.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
I would like to see you guys expound a little bit more on this subject. One of the things my dealer will add to the cost of my 10,000 service is a $3.50 charge for a fuel additive. I'm on my 4th diesel and I personally have never added anything to my fuel.
I notice you ae in Texas, therefore your fuel is of a better quality than most, (excepting California).
You probably would notice a benefit from Power Service, but you'd probably be just as good with Howes, or equivalent.
I feel sure it would make a difference.
US$3.50 a tank is very high for an additive.

hth.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Two of the things I like about Primrose are, first, that it's very concentrated (about 1 ounce per tankful), and second, that it only costs about 30 cents per tankful (when you buy it in the convenient giant economy size).

Okay, I also like the fact that my car runs better with it. And that it doesn't smell as bad as PowerService DieselKleen.

Magnulus

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon white
Have a spare fuel filter handy if you go using the stuff. My car's clogged up after I used a "cleanup" dose of Red Line.

I don't notice a big reduction in noise- a biodiesel brewer guy I know says that it really makes a difference on older diesels, and maybe he's right. The big problem I have with using alot of additives- you don't know what the base cetane of the fuel you are working with always, and if it has additives added to it. Nitrate cetane boosters work best with fuel naturally high in cetane, beyond about 3-9 points they stop boosting.

Also, I'm not sure if cetane boosters work with biodiesel (biodiesel is naturally about 47 cetane). I know that pour point depressants, anti-gel additives, don't work as effectively with biodiesel.