2015 Tdi P0087 fuel rail/system pressure too low

BlueOnBlack

TDI
15 Passat Tdi Mt6
Hey folks. My 15 Tdi started randomly going into limp mode. It has only happened at low rpm each time. The code is p0087-fuel rail/system pressure too low. I did change the fuel filter, it was pretty clean and no metal. I removed the fuel metering valve on the hpfp and there was no metal. I do have vcds. Can anyone point me in the right direction to diagnose this? The car is tuned but I have put about 8,000 miles on since tuning with no problems. Thank you

BlueOnBlack

TDI
15 Passat Tdi Mt6
Thanks for the reply, it looks like it is covered but the problem is that my car is off-road use only right now.. I have all of the original parts but man that’s a lot of work

BlueOnBlack

TDI
15 Passat Tdi Mt6
That is correct LF1. I ordered an upgraded fuel metering valve from Darkside. Not sure if that’s the right move or not but I have to try something. I’ll let you know how it goes

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What did the freeze frame show? Have you tried monitoring the rail pressure when this happens? Does your tune change the rail pressure? You may want to at least try a rail pressure sensor, that is at least easy and cheap.

BlueOnBlack

TDI
15 Passat Tdi Mt6
I don’t recall exactly what the rail pressure was but actual was lower than specified though. I’ll have to look when I get home. I’m not sure if the tune changes the rail pressure or not but I’m assuming it does. Sounds good I will put a pressure sensor in and try that while I’m waiting for the metering valve. Thanks for the tip

BlueOnBlack

TDI
15 Passat Tdi Mt6
Well I put the metering valve in from Darkside and I have about 150 miles on it so far. It was setting a code every 30 miles or so before so time will tell. If I don’t post back that means it’s fixed. Thanks and thanks for the fast shipping Darkside.