In Germany Don't Update, Lose Your Registration

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
It's good that the American settlement specifically disallows that.

OmniGLH

TDI
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
I'm sure the same will eventually be true here.

Without the fix, our cars are technically/officially NOT "CARB/EPA compliant" vehicles.

Once the fix is released, I'm sure there will be a timer before you'll not be allowed to renew registration. California will probably be first with other states to follow.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I wish people would read some of the discussions that have long since been settled (heck, even the post immediately preceding yours) before making ignorant remarks like this.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE

Without the fix, our cars are technically/officially NOT "CARB/EPA compliant" vehicles.

Once the fix is released, I'm sure there will be a timer before you'll not be allowed to renew registration. California will probably be first with other states to follow.

Go read the settlement before making that kind of statement.

Hint - you're wrong.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This is the second fairly new thread I've seen in 48 hours that is already in need of a lockin'.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL

False! It's an absolute, fix or not, in the settlement, and thus *CANNOT* be changed . . .

Dieselchen

Banned
TDI
2011 Golf 6M
and in Germany noone gets any restitution nor was there ever a buyback. People in Europe go out empty handed, unless they sue individually.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
California already was not allowing renewed registration for not having previous software updates performed. California has also lately been denying registration renewal to PD owners who haven't have the glow plug recall done!

I wouldn't put it past California to deny registration renewal if a vehicle did not receive the emissions updates after they become available... It might take them a year or two to implement that, but it would not surprise me at all to see California do that.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
it would not surprise me at all to see California do that.
It would very much surprise me to see California do that, since they've agreed (as part of the settlement to which they're a party) not to. The stupid is strong here.

Matt-98AHU

TDI

From the long form notice. I did not recall hearing that states would not be allowed to deny registration if a vehicle did not receive the emissions update. What I did read, however, is that if a fix were to never become available by May 2018, you have the option of having the car bought back OR opting out of the class action altogether and keeping the car with no ramifications.

BUT, since there IS a fix available, that last bit flies out the window if you're in a state like California...

It does become a state issue at that point. Many states don't require emissions checks at all and if they genuinely don't care about whether or not your car receives the update, they won't bother denying registration. In a state like California, speaking from experience, it's almost a guarantee they will be the first to deny registration renewal if an update does not become available...

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I think I'll trust the lawyer on proper interpretation of the settlement. CA (nor any of the other 45 states that signed on) CANNOT require you to have to get the fix, even if it is available.

If you don't think that is the case - contact CARB and your own lawyer and/or the attorney's representing the class (us).

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I did not recall hearing that states would not be allowed to deny registration if a vehicle did not receive the emissions update.
Then you haven't been paying very close attention--this subject has been discussed at length, right here, several times. One of the settlement agreements (I believe it's the DOJ one, but I'm not 100% sure) is explicit that states who take any of the money from the settlement may not refuse registration to unfixed cars. There are 4-5 states, last I heard, that had not taken any of that money. California is not among them.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And just because those 4 or 5 states didn't sign off, doesn't mean they have plans to deny anyone registration. They just have that option.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
I've read the DOJ consent decree, long form notice, appendix B with the fix details etc and never recalled seeing anything about states never having the ability to deny registration renewal, but would definitely be interested in reading those discussions.

Any links?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
DOJ Settlement, Appendix D, beginning at the bottom of page 13:
4.2.9 Registration of 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles. Each Certification Form must state, for the benefit of the parties to the Consent Decree (including the Settling Defendants) and the owners from time-to-time of 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles, that the Certifying Entity [i.e., state seeking funds from the environmental mitigation trust]:
(a) Shall not deny registration to any Subject Vehicle based solely on:
i. The presence of a defeat device or AECD covered by the resolution of claims
in the Consent Decree; or
ii. Emissions resulting from such a defeat device or AECD; or
iii. The availability of an Approved Emissions Modification or the Buyback, Lease Termination, and Owner/Lessee Payment Program.

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

TDI
DOJ Settlement, Appendix D, beginning at the bottom of page 13:
I'm going to assume that will only apply if you are the owner of the vehicle and were the owner before the agreement came out.

If you were to buy a second hand TDI a year from now from an owner that opted out, I have my doubts you would be afforded the same protection from the state denying registration due to not having "the fix" applied. That is the first possible loophole I can think of.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to assume that will only apply if you are the owner of the vehicle and were the owner before the agreement came out.
In other words, you're going to invent an assumption that not only has no basis in the text I quoted, but is in fact directly contrary to that text.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm no lawyer, but I'm not seeing any loopholes there. I don't see any language indicating the protections from registration denial are valid only for the original purchaser.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
If you were to buy a second hand TDI a year from now from an owner that opted out, I have my doubts you would be afforded the same protection from the state denying registration due to not having "the fix" applied. That is the first possible loophole I can think of.
We all know what happens when people ASSume...

Re-read what was posted. "Subject Vehicle" - not owner related; vehicle related.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
I agree that registration can be gated by a future recall. It's quite simple and it happens frequently at least in Ca. I had registration held pending dmv receipt of dealer certificate certifying an ECU recall was performed. This can be done by CA outside the settlement or at least after 2018.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seems like a silly argument. Virtually everyone will either take the buyback or get the fix. The remaining handful of unfixed cars aren't going to be of any real concern to any state.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree that registration can be gated by a future recall.
The stupid is strong here. And yes, I'm using that word carefully. If you didn't know better, it'd be simple ignorance. But you've had the controlling language quoted to you, with a link to the entire document, and you're just sticking your fingers in your ears and going "la la la."

Dieselchen

Banned
TDI
2011 Golf 6M
I thougth this was a discussion about GERMANY? Not California which has been chewed out on many other topics. Lets discuss how Germany and other EU countries fare compare to the USA... thought thats was the topic?

Dieselchen

Banned
TDI
2011 Golf 6M
I agree that registration can be gated by a future recall. It's quite simple and it happens frequently at least in Ca. I had registration held pending dmv receipt of dealer certificate certifying an ECU recall was performed. This can be done by CA outside the settlement or at least after 2018.
YOU ARE USELESS CALIFORNIAN! this is a discussion about GERMANY!!!!

Dieselchen

Banned
TDI
2011 Golf 6M

Dieselchen

Banned
TDI
2011 Golf 6M
California already was not allowing renewed registration for not having previous software updates performed. California has also lately been denying registration renewal to PD owners who haven't have the glow plug recall done!

I wouldn't put it past California to deny registration renewal if a vehicle did not receive the emissions updates after they become available... It might take them a year or two to implement that, but it would not surprise me at all to see California do that.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Useless Californian who repairs these cars every day, born and raised in the Mid West.

Would be an interesting day should our paths cross in meatspace.

Enjoy fretting on the internet over the dieselgate ordeal. I'll continue to enjoy my pre-dieselgate cars for now and will be glad to see the day the johnny come latelies who only show up to TDIClub to whine about dieselgate leave us TDIers who've been enjoying these cars long before VW even started development on the cheatmobiles to get back to the more enjoyable discussions of how to keep our favorite cars going for as long as possible.