mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Last edited:

o_a_ravi

TDI
Passat TDI SE 2.0T
I actually purchased the light housings with the harness from Bold Sports.

Product Link : http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61

They do have instructions for Golf VI, thinking it would be the same, I ripped apart the rear door panels of my '13 Passat TDI for the install., not realizing I can not turn on the bits via RossTech.

The current version of RossTech/VCDS doesnt seem to support this functionality.

The rear door module is accessed via the fron door module, but when you turn on the Bits (something like 0,1,2). The Do It option would error out.

I tried with my cable, and also from my service center. Both failed.

I am kind of stuck at this point. Only after turning on the bit, we can even test the pins for light outputs.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I bought the same ones. I am now wondering how things will react if I plug them straight into the front door light connectors? Would it overload the front light circuit?

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I bought the same ones. I am now wondering how things will react if I plug them straight into the front door light connectors? Would it overload the front light circuit?
I wouldn't bet on it being that they're LEDs. Very low amperage required.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
The lights came last night. I installed the new housings in the front and really like them. They are brighter and the multiple LED bulbs look nice. I am going to try and attempt the rears this weekend

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I am not sure yet. I will peel back the door/piller panels but I highly doubt I fill find an existing connection for the rears. If that's the case I will run them off the fronts unless it gives BOW's/faults. After that I am not sure.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Posi-taps are great and don't damage the wire.
This may not be an issue in this particular use but what kind of power can be run through the posi-taps if they're just puncturing the wire's shielding and making just enough contact with the copper strands for continuity?

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
This may not be an issue in this particular use but what kind of power can be run through the posi-taps if they're just puncturing the wire's shielding and making just enough contact with the copper strands for continuity?

Not sure how many amps they will take. They have sizes up to 10 gauge.
http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

o_a_ravi

TDI
Passat TDI SE 2.0T

I also thought of doing it that way. To run the wires from the rear to the fron doors. But the only catch would be that the rear lights would only react to the front doors.

Meaning, the rear doors would light up only when the corresponding front doors are opened.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I also thought of doing it that way. To run the wires from the rear to the fron doors. But the only catch would be that the rear lights would only react to the front doors.

Meaning, the rear doors would light up only when the corresponding front doors are opened.
Yes I thought about that and it is a drawback of doing it that way.

Some seem to think the harness for the rear's may already be in place but I have not dug that deep yet and I doubt I will find it there. I installed the new LED fronts and I really like them but I have not figured out how to remove the door panels without tearing something up yet.

When I have to time to go at it with patients and more knowledge I will post my findings. If someone else has removed the NMS door panel and posts a DIY before me that would be even better.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Some seem to think the harness for the rear's may already be in place but I have not dug that deep yet and I doubt I will find it there.
I read the same thing somewhere, also. I can't remember now where that was though. This post is officially useless

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I read the same thing somewhere, also. I can't remember now where that was though. This post is officially useless
I just noticed your Location says your in Cypress. Is that right? Are you really in the same town as me? :eek:

PM me if you are and maybe you can actually contribute :D. Or at least have a beer and a laugh :cool:

Last edited:

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Ordered a pair of Bold Sport's front warning lights the other night. Pretty fast shipping! They're already in San Fran waiting for Thanksgiving to be over.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
This is a photo of my 2013 SE rear door while I was adding sound proofing. There is not a wire waiting to plug into the light. The lower wire seen is for the window switch.
I cannot remember if the module has a plug in spot for the lights. Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the front door to see if the puddle light was just plugged into the module, sorry.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
Depending on how it is fed, you could hook your light to the back of the door switch.

If the door switch is a low power input to the computer, this likely won't work.

If it is a regular 12volt circuit from a fuse you can likely just tag your light right onto it.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Some seem to think the harness for the rear's may already be in place
Thinking about this more... When I read about this some time ago, it may have been said that only the SELs that have the harness in place. I just popped the lens out of one rear panel and tried to look around for the harness through the opening there but can't see anything as part of the door panel itself is in the way.

o_a_ravi

TDI
Passat TDI SE 2.0T
This is a photo of my 2013 SE rear door while I was adding sound proofing. There is not a wire waiting to plug into the light. The lower wire seen is for the window switch.
I cannot remember if the module has a plug in spot for the lights. Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the front door to see if the puddle light was just plugged into the module, sorry.
AFAIK, the puddle light kit you purchase, should come with the wiring. Which should go in to the door module (located in the window motor connection harness on this picture).

And then you need to recode the door controller module via VCDS software. Which is not currently updated to do that for this current model year. Which is where i am kind of stuck.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
The front door puddle light harnesses plug into the respective front door control modules. The rear door puddle lights are powered from the BCM directly, pin 52a/4. This splits and runs to connector T28b/9 on the left B pillar and also runs to connector T28c/9 on the right side B pillar. These 2 leads feed each rear door puddle light. Each is grounded to the T28b/21 or T28c/21 pin on the respective sides. There are not rear door control modules per se, although they show in VCDS. It seems to be more of an artifact of prior models. The front door puddle lights are controlled through each door controller, Byte 2, bit 6 for each. I cannot find any reference to the rear door puddle lights in the front door controllers nor in the BCM, although I suspect it may be one of the anonymous bits that are checked with no text shown. The other question is if the SE BCM is compatible with rear door puddle lights. If I recall correctly, both rear door puddle lights come on if either front door opens, whether or not a front door is opened. Perhaps it is easier to simply splice them into the same side front door harnesses - T32b/18 in passenger door and T32a/18 in driver's door controller, but maybe not since you have to take this from the door controller and get it back through the A pillar into the car to go out the B pillar.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
It is insane how something that should be as simple as plug and play is made so hard by VW. No longer do they have a simple plug waiting for upgrade harnesses like this or the lower floor lighting on SE or lower models. One should be able to just buy the harness and plug it in....ugggggg :mad:

Ok enough ranting

What about running the wires to the front and splice into the lower lighting harness on SEL or pin to the BCM in their location for lower models. The interior lights activate with any door opening so that would trigger the doors also. They would come on when the doors are closed and interior activated, but you would not see them outside as the seals would hide the light. It would add a little extra light for the back seat also. And how often do we really just turn on interior lights alone...

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
It is insane....ugggggg :mad:

What about running the wires to the front and splice into the lower lighting harness on SEL or pin to the BCM in their location for lower models. The interior lights activate with any door opening so that would trigger the doors also. They would come on when the doors are closed and interior activated, but you would not see them outside as the seals would hide the light. It would add a little extra light for the back seat also. And how often do we really just turn on interior lights alone...
Sorry, but I shortened your post.....and I agree. From what I see on the wiring schematics, you got to pick the rear door lighting from the from door controllers (the power to the front door lights comes directly from the door control module) or run it to the BCM, which I would bet requires the higher version as in the SEL's. What likely happens is that when any door opens, be it a front or rear, the door switch tells the BCM that it's opened over canbus communications, turns on the open door puddle light either through the front door controllers directly, or from the BCM for the rear doors. If the Se's do not have the higher level BCM, then the 'easiest' would be to grab it from the front door outputs, which is still a major job. You would only need to run one wire on each side through the door wiring connectors in the pillars and pick up the ground in each rear door.

o_a_ravi

TDI
Passat TDI SE 2.0T
or as an alternative, would it be possible to tap the Ground from the rear doors body and light's positive from the door's contact micro-switch ?

If the lights were the LEDs it should not draw too much of current from the switch and not ruin them.

Just a thought, may be someone familiar with the wiring can chime in on this...

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
or as an alternative, would it be possible to tap the Ground from the rear doors body and light's positive from the door's contact micro-switch ?

If the lights were the LEDs it should not draw too much of current from the switch and not ruin them.

Just a thought, may be someone familiar with the wiring can chime in on this...
Don't think so as the rear door position microswitch is built into the latch assembly and it appears to switch ground to the BCM, depending on door position so likely no real power there to even light an LED. There is a direct 12 VDC feed (always on - fuses SC22 and SC31) to each of the rear door modules - T16h/16 (left side) and T16i/16 on right side. Ground is there too. Door latch switch is pin T8s/2 (left side) and T8t/2 on passenger side. Worth poking a meter around and seeing what you find. Maybe a small relay, triggered off the door latch switch to BCM will do the trick, maybe not.

o_a_ravi

TDI
Passat TDI SE 2.0T
Don't think so as the rear door position microswitch is built into the latch assembly and it appears to switch ground to the BCM, depending on door position so likely no real power there to even light an LED. There is a direct 12 VDC feed (always on - fuses SC22 and SC31) to each of the rear door modules - T16h/16 (left side) and T16i/16 on right side. Ground is there too. Door latch switch is pin T8s/2 (left side) and T8t/2 on passenger side. Worth poking a meter around and seeing what you find. Maybe a small relay, triggered off the door latch switch to BCM will do the trick, maybe not.

Thanks for that info VW Norm., so that sounds like a workable solution, if the microswitch signal and the power source is available within the door module harness. Probably I can make a simple transistor based switching circuit that works off the latch switch signal., instead of the relay option to avoid that relay clicking noise.

Will pull out the door trim and give it a shot. By the way is there a way to sniff those signal, without opening the door trim/panel ? I do see that you mentioned about the terminals - T8 and T16. Are these in the BCM unit ?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
The T16 is the rear door modules connector and the T8's are the door lock module where the microswitch resides. The number after the slash indicates which cavity the wire is in. grounds are solid brown.

o_a_ravi

TDI
Passat TDI SE 2.0T
The T16 is the rear door modules connector and the T8's are the door lock module where the microswitch resides. The number after the slash indicates which cavity the wire is in. grounds are solid brown.

Okay thanks. Will give it a try. If worked will post the pics with the how to.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Glad to see others are working on this. I have been super busy and also have had some med issues and need surgery so haven't had time to do anything to the car. I still need to do the puddle's, the rear Chinese taillights, and the body kit. Things are stacking up but hopefully I can get to them post-op.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Just a thought, but have any of you posted the problem of the VCDS not being able to code the controllers in the OBD forum for Uwe Ross (as in the inventor of the VCDS cable) to see? He does respond to posts there...

Last edited: