How often does THIS happen??

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
My Jetta has fixed itself. No kidding. I've been having the limp mode issue on and off (more on than off) since March '04 when the Upsolute chip went in my '98 and had replaced the N75 and all the lines to it without result. So, a few weeks ago when cycling the key wouldn't restore power anymore I got together with jck66 and swapped the factory chips back in and put a boost gauge on the intercooler tube. I'd been driving the car for two weeks since then in permanent limp mode until two days ago when I noticed the car had full power with the CEI lit. The next day the light went out. I hadn't gotten around to pulling off the engine cover to inspect the intercooler circuit for leaks as per Igloo's suggestion, but the car is running great now. Only other thing I noticed is the engine stopped revving after a hot start (shutoff solenoid o-ring back in place?) I ordered new ones but haven't picked them up yet.

Theory: Maybe my car didn't like the Up chip, and it took a while to "get better" after they were taken out?? Or does a leaking shutoff solenoid related to a power loss situation? Maybe it's just aliens?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
That's it! Wish they'd visit me sometimes - I'm getting tired of fixing stuff myself.

Rick

Maybe it's just aliens?
If someone could get their location, I'll add them to my Google Earth file and I'm sure YMZ would put them on his list as well. His is better than mine anyway.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Bad grounds? Everything can be blamed on bad grounds.

igloothegreat

TDI
Jetta, 1998
actually happened to me to, car did the limp mode thing from Nov '04 to April '05 then it "fixed itself" getting on the highway one day... I thought all was well and good until about a month later it went to crap again. That's when I dumpded new turbo, injectors, MAF, N75, etc, etc into it - and all is well again.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Do you care which shot killed the bird? No... so why bother with which one from this apparent shotgun blast of a repair fixed the problem?

igloothegreat

TDI
Jetta, 1998
I don't know which shot actually killed it, because I broke something else (EGR valve) while fixing all that, and it didn't really run good until I fixed that (which I'm 99% sure wasn't the original problem).