2014 Passat TDi NMS

14TDiMan

TDI
14 Passat TDi SEL Premium DSG
Hello all. First post on the forum.

I have owned the car for a few weeks now and so far it has been great. No issues or complaints, other than an annoyance I am experiencing.
No real pattern, but my average consumption will reset itself randomly when I start the engine. When this happens the average speed also resets. Has anyone experienced this issue with their NMS Passat?
I believe this is a software issue in the cluster control module but wanted to find out from some of the longer term owners if I am on the right track. If so, anyone have a TSB# to share? Thank you for any and all replies.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Every time you shut off the engine the fuel consumption numbers and average speed are reset. This is normal. I think there is a menu somewhere to look at long term averages. Search the owners manual or maybe someone else will chime in.

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat
If it’s like my ‘15 there are a #1 and #2 screen for avg speed, mpg, time and I think that’s it. #1 is when you last started it (then I think it waits a few min before it resets but I don’t recall how long). #2 is since last reset manually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14TDiMan

TDI
14 Passat TDi SEL Premium DSG
Ahh, I see. I read the owners manual but I must have glossed over that part. Thank you for educating me on this. Much appreciated.

CallMeColt

TDI
2012 Passat SE
I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking. I read the manual as well but didn't see where it said there were 2 averages.

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I have found that the #1 average takes over 30 minutes before it resets.
If you don't manually reset the #2 average, it resets itself every 2000 miles or so. I had the car for a while before I figured out how to reset it.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
#1 resets after the vehicle has been off for 2 hours
#2 doesn’t reset unless you press and hold the ok button until it resets (a few seconds) or disconnect the battery or hits some mileage mark (i reset mine ever fill up so I don’t know how many miles it takes)