Engine oil

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
So my friend ended up pulling the trigger on a 2013 SEL. When I had my Jetta, (pre buy back) VW 507 spec oils were easy to find, especially the one stuff Edge professional LL03.
It looks like the LL03 is no longer available and the only options I could find were the mobile 1 esp and the liqui moly top tec 4200.

Anyone know of any other 507 spec oil that's easily sourced/low cost?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
There are cheaper oil's that meet 507 spec but I Would not sacrifice Price over Quality of Oil i curently use 5w30 Top Tec 4200 Liqui Moly very happy with it in my 2012 TDI.
I agree 100%. That's why I recommend the LL03 as at the time when I owned mine, it seemed that the general consensus agreed that was the best.

Am I correct in my assessment, that the LL03 is no longer available?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Rockauto has the Pentosin SP3 for $36/5L which is the best oil for the money. If you use the standard 5% off RA coupon it’s closer to $34/5L. Mobil 1 esp 5w30 is excellent. ESP has excellent dynamic properties and typically has the lowest wear metals of any low ash oils in the oil analysis Ive seen. It’s on sale at IDparts now and sometimes Napa heavily discounts it @ $6/qt as well. https://www.idparts.com/mobil-esp-5w30-quart-124044-p-3134.html

I used Liqui moly 4200 for years and it was a poor performer for me. I don’t recommend it and it’s not worth the premium price some people (like myself) paid for it. There isn’t any reason to pay $10-$11 a liter for liqui moly when higher performance, better options are less expensive.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Rockauto has the Pentosin SP3 for $36/5L which is the best oil for the money. If you use the standard 5% off RA coupon it’s closer to $34/5L. Mobil 1 esp 5w30 is excellent. ESP has excellent dynamic properties and typically has the lowest wear metals of any low ash oils in the oil analysis Ive seen. It’s on sale at IDparts now and sometimes Napa heavily discounts it @ $6/qt as well. https://www.idparts.com/mobil-esp-5w30-quart-124044-p-3134.html

I used Liqui moly 4200 for years and it was a poor performer for me. I don’t recommend it and it’s not worth the premium price some people (like myself) paid for it. There isn’t any reason to pay $10-$11 a liter for liqui moly when higher performance, better options are less expensive.
Ive always heard good things about pentosin. When I had my 14' TDI all I used was Castrol LL03 or mobile 1 esp and was satisfied with both.

Interesting take on the liqui moly as si may people seem to rant and rave about it. No personal experience with it on my end though.

I saw this lab report in one of the threads for liqui moly. The guy ran it for 20k miles. I don't know if the reading were good or bad, I don't understand the reports much.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There really isn't that much daylight between the various 507 spec. oils. "Brand x" oil always gets the blame when oil analysis shows some wear numbers that set off owners OCD alarms. It isn't always the oil. If you find yourself losing sleep over a uoa report, it might be time to give them up.