Upgrade to 5.5 litre washer fluid tank ?

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
The tank fits... I know this because I have Headlamp washers on my 2002 Jetta TDI. It's not rocket science, it's just a matter of taking out the headlamp, removing the intercooler and top hose, loosen the fuel filter and wiggle it in. It fits like a glove. I'll try to take pictures and post them if I can remember the password to my account on the picture site for Fred's TDI....

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
I have pictures of my car with the 5.5L tank and Headlamp washers, if someone can remind me how to access my picture account on the TDI forum, I'll post them. -EMW

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
I went to my friendly VW dealer in Konstanz, Germany today, and ordered a 5.5 litre tank for my 2002 Golf TDI in Canada. The tank was cheap, I think about € 20 or so.

The dealer told me that he believes that the hole for the fluid pump motor is larger on the 5.5 litre tank than the hole for the motor on the standard 3 litre tank. The motors have different part numbers. So, I ordered a new motor as well, just to be on the safe side (also € 20).

I don't think there will be any problem fitting this into my Canadian Golf, as the TDI's in Europe that are equipped with xenon headlights are also equipped with headlight washers, and the cars with headlight washers automatically get a 5.5 litre tank.

Will let you know when I get home.

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
Well I just received my 5.5L tank in the mail and wow does it have a lot of holes in it!

First is the one at the top, of course, where you fill the container.

Then on the front and the back there are spots where a pump might go, the one on the front having a larger hole. So the headlamp and windshield washers use seperate pumps. One I'll have to seal.

Then there's another hole on the front for the level sensor, I guess.

About the fitment: while I won't get around to installing it for a while, the extra volume of the 5.5L tank comes mostly from a large bump that will sit deep inside the fender. Then the tank is also a little wider toward the intercooler hose as well.

My point is that the tank is not much bigger front-to-back and should fit just fine next to the fuel filter.

Ted

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Ted:

Thanks for posting the information, much appreciated. I am going back to Europe tomorrow (Monday) and will pick up my 5.5 litre tank and pump assembly at the dealer sometime during the week. I won't be back in NA until mid February, though.

Let's stay in touch here on the board, and let the others know how this project goes. I will try to find a TDI at the dealer in Germany that has a large tank in it already, and take some photos to post.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Red Golf:

From what I understand, the larger tank fits cars with either bumper, the bumper is not involved at all. The provisions for mounting the headlight washer assemblies, however, are only provided on the European front bumper. But this should have no affect on the ability to install the larger tank.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by red golf tdi:
Can I make previsions in my NA bumper cover for jets?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Unfortunately no. I just installed the Headlamp washer system on my 2002 Jetta. Here's the scoop for each:

Jetta - You need the European Rebar, Hella headlamp washer kit, Bora nozzels, and Bora covers. Takes about 2 hours to install, works great.

Golf - European bumper, European Rebar, Hella washer kit.

Hella only makes the kit for the Golf, that is why you need the nozzels and covers from a bora to place it on a Jetta.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I can now confirm that the 5.5 litre tank fits Golf TDI's without problems. When I went to the dealer in Germany today to pick up my 5.5. litre tank (cost was € 23.40), I saw a 2002 Golf TDI in the showroom that had headlight washers on it from the factory, and also had a 5.5 litre tank in it from the factory.

All the crap surrounding the tank (air tubes, water hoses, fuel filter, etc.) appeared to be in the same locations as the North American models.

Kevin Rhodes

TDI
'17 GTI Sport
But why won't the NA bumper cover work with the headlight washers? I understand that it won't have the outline for where to cut, but is this an insurmountable problem? Here in sloppy winter mess Maine, I would really like to have the headlight washer setup, but not if I have to buy (and have painted) a new bumper cover. Are they really THAT different? If anything, the NA version looks like it is bigger and has more room.

Kevin
02 Golf GLS TDI e-codes w\fogs and rear fog

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by Kevin Rhodes:
But why won't the NA bumper cover work with the headlight washers? I understand that it won't have the outline for where to cut, but is this an insurmountable problem? Here in sloppy winter mess Maine, I would really like to have the headlight washer setup, but not if I have to buy (and have painted) a new bumper cover. Are they really THAT different? If anything, the NA version looks like it is bigger and has more room.

Kevin
02 Golf GLS TDI e-codes w\fogs and rear fog
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The covers for the jets are made to fit the contour of the European bumper. The US bumper is longer to accomodate the federal bumper.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
SVTWEB:

From your experience installing the Hella washer kit in your Jetta, did you notice if the Euro rebar has a special place to attach the washer jets that the North American rebar does not have?

In other words, is the bumper incompatability problem limited to the correct alignment of the washer covers to the plastic outer bumper cover, or are there also problems in that the North American rebar (or other sub-structure) does not have the mounting points to attach the hardware to?

Michael

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
THe US-Spec Bumper (Rebar) does not have the needed mounting points to attache the washer jets. The exception to the rule are the 2001 Jetta Wagons. For some reason the come with a Eurpean Rebar. With this in mind the Euro Rebar is availble in the US, just ask you parts guy for the rebar from a 2001 Wagon.

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Originally posted by SVTWEB:
THe US-Spec Bumper (Rebar) does not have the needed mounting points to attache the washer jets. The exception to the rule are the 2001 Jetta Wagons. For some reason the come with a Eurpean Rebar. With this in mind the Euro Rebar is availble in the US, just ask you parts guy for the rebar from a 2001 Wagon.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">...Probably because, as I understand it, the Wagons are all MADE in Europe.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Eric:

Thanks for the fast answer and the clear explanation, much appreciated. At the risk of asking a "Class A" dumb question: Will a Jetta Wagon front rebar fit a Golf?

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Eric:

Thanks very much for the info. Does this mean that I should be able to get a 2001 Jetta Wagon rebar from my local (Canadian) dealer, and a 2002 Golf front bumper from my German dealer, then go ahead and install the Hella kit? Sounds too simple to be true.

Do the front bumpers (Euro spec) come pre-painted? In other words, can I order a Reflex Silver front bumper, or do I have to paint the damn thing?

Also, about that Hella headlight washer retrofit kit, I have been unable to find a reference to it on any of Hella's websites (USA, German, etc.). How do they sell this kit? Only with a pair of headlights? Do you think I could purchase the kit here in Switzerland? Let me know, thanks.

Michael

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
Can anyone confirm which hole on the 5.5L tank to plug if headlight washers are NOT fitted? That is, is the headlight washer pump front or back when attached to the tank?

Thanks ...

Ted

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by Ted_Grozier:
Can anyone confirm which hole on the 5.5L tank to plug if headlight washers are NOT fitted? That is, is the headlight washer pump front or back when attached to the tank?

Thanks ...

Ted
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Big hole in the front... Stock pump fits in the rear hole.

Michael - You should be able to get the headlamp washer kit in Switzerland, Everything else you said is correct... and yes you have to paint the damn thing.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, here is some more information to add to the general body of knowledge about this upgrade.

First, as I said earlier, this 5.5 liter tank does fit into the standard North American TDI without any problems. I saw a 2002 Golf TDI with the same smaller (North American spec) engine in the showroom of my dealer in Konstanz, Germany last week, and it had the 5.5 liter tank in it.

Below are photos of the tank, front and back sides, and also of the second, larger pump that is used to supply pressurized fluid to the headlight washer assemblies. The second pump fits into the front of the tank assembly. The existing pump that is supplied with the North American cars (windshield pump) fits into the rear of the tank, using the existing pump, wiring, and sealing ring.

There are three holes on the tank, one each for each of the two pumps (front and back) and one on the front of the tank for the fluid low level sensor.

I won't have time to install this tank into my 2002 Golf TDI for about 4 weeks, due to a busy work schedule, but when I do install it, I'll take the usual photos and post them here.

The prices indicated on the photos are in Euros, they are the net list price that I paid at the dealer in Konstanz in February 2002. Note that the sales taxes (about 20%) are not included, and note also that if the parts are purchased in a different country (e.g. the UK), the prices may be higher.

For those of you who do not plan to retrofit the headlight washers, my guess is that you could just purchase the sealing ring for the front pump (costs about a dollar) then install a stainless steel bolt and nut in it, to plug the hole. Be aware that the sealing ring for the hole on the front of the tank is a different size and different part number than the sealing ring for the hole on the back. I don't think that the front side sealing ring is available from VW parts departments in North America, but I have not checked this.

Front view of 5.5 Liter Tank and Front Side pump assembly (headlight washer pump)

Rear View of 5.5 Litre Tank

Second (front side) pump used to supply headlight washer system

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
What a coincedence today I went to the hardware store and bought a plastic 3/4" plug - fits perfectly - and used some RTV silicone to get a good seal. Hoping to try the install next weekend..

Regards,

Ted

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
I installed the 5.5 liter washer fluid tank in my car today. It was not a technically challenging job, but it was a 'fussy' job, because it is difficult to get the large tank to fit into the space provided for it. I am convinced now that when the VW factory employees assemble a Golf, they begin with the washer fluid tank, and then build everything else - headlight, fuel filter, wiring harness, engine, etc. around it.

I started by removing the bumper. The bumper needs to be removed to allow you to remove the right headlight assembly. It is not difficult to take the bumper off, instructions are in the photo below. You do not need to remove the big rub strip, the licence plate or licence plate frame, or the air guides (items 7) from the bumper - all this stuff can remain in place, because the whole bumper comes off as a single unit.

Bumper Removal Instructions

Next thing to come out was the right headlight. That was simple, just 4 screws at the front of the light. Disconnecting the electrical connector was more difficult. It is easiest to do this if you first remove the little 'door' that the connector is attached to, then remove the connector from the door assembly. Then I removed the two bolts that secure the fuel filter to the edge of the front fender. This allowed me to move the filter a little bit, to get access to the stud and nut that holds the top outside corner of the washer fluid tank in place.

Bumper and headlight removed, original 3 liter tank still in place

Once the headlight was out, and the fuel filter was loose, it was pretty easy to remove the original 3 liter tank. I just removed the two nuts that held the tank in place, wiggled the pump and low level sensor out of the holes they fit into, and took the tank out.

I removed the rubber grommets that hold the pump and the low level sensor in the holes provided in the tank. These are re-used on the 5.5 liter tank.

I purchased a plug to close off the hole on the front of the tank where the headlight washer pump would go. This plug, VW P/N 2D0 955 465B, cost me CA$ 0.51 (about ten cents American) at my local VW dealer.

Sealing Plug to close off unused headlight washer pump hole

It is worth mentioning that it is a lot easier to install the sealing plug, and later the grommets for the low level sensor and the windshield washer pump, if you first put a little dish detergent (liquid soap) on the grommets and plugs. Install the windshield washer pump motor and the low level sensor on the new, larger tank before you attempt to put the new tank assembly into the car. You can't easily get access to these components once the tank is in place.

I then tried to install the larger tank. No go, no matter how much I coaxed and swore at it, it would not fit through the gap. I needed to remove the large plastic air tube that runs from the intercooler to the back of the motor, and to do that, I had to disconnect the two fuel lines that ran across this tube to the fuel filter, and then lift the fuel filter out of the way. Fortunately, all these lines and tubes were just held in place by spring clips. Once I got all this crap out of the way, I was able to fit the new tank in place.

Air tube, fuel lines and fuel filter out of the way, ready to install large tank

Finally, I got the tank installed. Getting it past the 'half-way point' was what was difficult. Once it was in position, it was easy to attach the same two nuts to the same two studs to hold it in place. As you can see, the 5.5 liter tank sticks a long way out into the right hand fender area.

Finally got the big tank in place after 30 minutes of coaxing

All that was left was to hook up the air tube, re-secure the fuel filter mounting bracket, hook up the two fuel lines that went across the air tube, and put the headlight and bumper back in place. Plus remove the inlet filter and cap from the old tank, and put them on the new tank. Total time, not rushing - 3 hours.

If anyone else wants to do this mod, the only part you need to get from Europe is the large tank itself. The plug for the second pump hole you can get locally. No other parts are needed. Because of all the bending and flexing of plastic parts, the job needs to be done in a warm environment.

5.5 Liter tank installed

When the job was all done, I did notice one little problem that I had not anticipated. There is some kind of fluid tank located between the coolant tank and the windshield washer tank. It has a green cap on it, and there are two hoses that come forward out of this tank, pass alongside the inboard side of the washer fluid tank, then bend downwards. When the larger tank is installed, these hoses are displaced about half an inch inboard. I don't think that they will foul against the rotating parts of the motor, but I am concerned that the upper of the two hoses (on my Golf, anyway) does not fit into the moulded slot provided for it on the inboard side of the washer tank. Have a look at the second photo from the bottom, above, and you will see what I mean.

I am going back to Europe later this week, there was a Golf TDI in the showroom of my dealer there last week, if it is still there, I will have another look and see if perhaps different hoses are used when the 5.5 liter tank is installed.

[ February 17, 2002, 22:11: Message edited by: Michael Moore ]

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The green cap bottle is the power steering reservoir. As you know, a leak in those hoses would lead to less than optimal steering.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Had a closer look at all the existing photos - checking the very first photo in the thread (page 1). my guess is that is a diesel or 1.9 car, because it has the tube from the intercooler. It does have a different power steering hose.

But comparing the original photo of my car with the 3 liter tank on page 1 to the photo of my car with the 5.5 liter tank above, it does not look like the PS hose is displaced very much.

I'll still check and see what the story is with part numbers, and why only 1 PS hose is visible on the European car.

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
Great work Michael, thanks!

Just FYI folks vwparts.com stocks the tank here in the U.S.

I wonder if removing the headlamp is really necessary - i.e. if you had started off by just removing the intercooler hose, would it have fit?

Regards and again great work!

Ted