looking for some opinions on transmission options

grimkiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
i have come down to 2 or 3 options options with how to deal with my tranny and im looking for some advice on which way would be best to go.

option #1 stick with the 5spd go with a Quaife LSD and a 3.16 ring and pinion. http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76_102&products_id=849&osCsid=b33f4aeda97801278a99e5f50f16334f

option #2A order up a 6spd tranny again putting in the LSD
option #2b order up the Quaife 6-Speed Synchromesh Gearkit for 02A/02J Transmissions and again put in the LSD http://www.autotech.com/prod_drive_gearkits.htm

#2 is really expensive but if it will be reliable im all for it. all opinions and advice a welcome. thanks

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I think it depends on your power goals. If you're just planning to stick with the normal bolt-ons then you probably don't need to bother with either of the 6 speed options. If you have big plans then the 6 speed options are a good way to go. The nice thing about the factory 6 speed is that parts are available, and will be for a long time. If you break a gear with the quaife set in 20 years you're probably screwed.

grimkiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
i guess i should have mentioned that. i am aiming for about 200whp. if i get the awesome if not im not too worried about it. probably going with a SS1856 or modified VNT20 turbo from kerma and pp764 or pp502 nozzles and all the support mods that good with it probably going to be around 15G so reliablity is a big priority for me. dont want to put all that money into the car and have something wreck on me.

J double R

Fail Train Conductor
TDI
'00 Golf 4 door
vwmikel said:
I think it depends on your power goals. If you're just planning to stick with the normal bolt-ons then you probably don't need to bother with either of the 6 speed options. If you have big plans then the 6 speed options are a good way to go. The nice thing about the factory 6 speed is that parts are available, and will be for a long time. If you break a gear with the quaife set in 20 years you're probably screwed.
if that car is still driveable in 20 years and hasnt been upgraded from whatever it's made into now, there might be problems. LOL..:p