Little Pittsburgh Clan

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
callmestu said:
From my understanding, most of the cars we get in the US are made in mexico, engine and all. However, i'm pretty sure that NO TDI engine is made OUTSIDE if germany. that is- yes, your car is made in mexico, but the engine was made in germany.

am i right?

BTW, i'm new to this thread. i drive a burgundy TDI 2000 Jetta with a big ugly Thule roof rack on top (currently with two bike attachments.) i go all around the city and suburbs around 79 (up past grove city) down to south of 22. so i drive alot around that about 90degree spoke off the city. i also spend alot of time downtown. i drive all day for my job as a field worker, so many of you might be at work when i'm driving around, but look for me later in the day. i usually use JR from JR's water works in the Sewickley/cranberry area. he changed my timing belt recently (22,000mi) and i have had no problems with him at all, he fixed lots of other things for me as he specialized in VW but he got a TDi for his wife.

i am looking for some others that are working to change their TDi to veggie oil, as i have not converted my car yet, but have been working on it for two years now- haven't had the time finish. i hope to take the classes on diesel to SVO conversion offered at pgh's first conversion shop www.fossilfreefuel.com
hope to see yunz there!
Chris
Those guys are really cool.I have stopped by a couple times to chat with them.Not to far from my place

I might have to check that out

Last edited:

beetle1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 mini cooper s ,2014 ram 2500 6.7,64 galaxies,
Hi, guys I'am from leechburg. Just found the thread. Good timming to .I need to talk to someone with a vag-com to help with a problem on a 1997 passat tdi?

fishman

TDI
Hi All

:D I haven t checked this forum for awhile. I moved to Pittsburgh a couple years ago from Southern California. Looking to get a timing belt change @ end of summer, any suggestions , I live on the westside.

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
I will be out of town until next weekend. I'll get in touch when I'm back. If you still need Vagcom, we could get together.

Fishman,
It might be worthwhile for you to head to Ohio for a Timing Job. Columbus Area has John Hamilton or Mogolf are very competant.

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
I think I might be in need of a Vag also,if anyone is free.
The ride just threw a check engine light today coming back from school.

It takes a couple min or less to kick on. I'm guessing it has something to do with my EGR, I have been blowing some smoke, more than normal,maybe its time to finish that intake cleaning?
The smoke might also have to do with the weather and my sprint520s.Not sure though about this.When I first installed them It was rare to see smoke.Here and there but now its getting out of hand, I can usually control it with my right foot,but not always.
IQ? Timing maybe?
Also noticed that my oil was low,this may be nothing.

I noticed a loss of power after filling up yesterday at a getgo,that I suspect the Diesel just sits there.I added some cetane booster with the fill up.
After work I got in my car and noticed a dip in power(before the light came on).
It seems normal performance wise now,after class and after the light came on. any Ideas?

I'd just take it to someone,but I barely have time during the week to eat.Theres a Vag at Fossilfreefuel 5 min from my house,but I wolnt have time till after they close tomorrow.

beetle1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 mini cooper s ,2014 ram 2500 6.7,64 galaxies,
astonishedboy , That would be great, just let me know when.

jwp175

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 & 2010 Jetta
Very cool ... a Pittsburgh thread !

I happened on this thread tonight ... looks like there's a fairly strong contingent in the area. I plan to subscribe and read often :)

And speaking of VAG-COM, I just had my CEL come on this morning, and am wondering if there is someone north of the 'burgh in the Cranberry/Economy Boro area that I might be able to hook up with.

I chatted a bit online with jwlionking, who said he might be in Pittsburgh next week, but definitely not this week.

The car seems to be running normally .... keks ... I also have a '98 Porcelain Blue baby ... it's been running like a dream up until this!

If anyone can help with a reading, it would be appreciated.

Thanks guys !

John

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
jwp175-if you have a local Autozone-have them put scanner on it.It will at least give code # until you can get someone w/ vag-com to check it out thoroughly.

jwp175

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 & 2010 Jetta
... tdidieselbobny ... I paid a visit to Dan (Stirer) this evening, and he was very helpful. Turns out to be a glow plug issue ... not too bad or urgent.

Thanks all ... :)

John

fishman

TDI
Thanks for the heads-up

I will do that, Columbus is not a bad drive from here

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
I ended up solving the problem with changing the vacuum hose with silicone lines going from the intercool piping to the ECU and also the little hose inside the ECU(the last 2 that I had to do).
All is well now,car is running great,no smoke ;)

keks said:
I think I might be in need of a Vag also,if anyone is free.
The ride just threw a check engine light today coming back from school.

It takes a couple min or less to kick on. I'm guessing it has something to do with my EGR, I have been blowing some smoke, more than normal,maybe its time to finish that intake cleaning?
The smoke might also have to do with the weather and my sprint520s.Not sure though about this.When I first installed them It was rare to see smoke.Here and there but now its getting out of hand, I can usually control it with my right foot,but not always.
IQ? Timing maybe?
Also noticed that my oil was low,this may be nothing.

I noticed a loss of power after filling up yesterday at a getgo,that I suspect the Diesel just sits there.I added some cetane booster with the fill up.
After work I got in my car and noticed a dip in power(before the light came on).
It seems normal performance wise now,after class and after the light came on. any Ideas?

I'd just take it to someone,but I barely have time during the week to eat.Theres a Vag at Fossilfreefuel 5 min from my house,but I wolnt have time till after they close tomorrow.

jwlionking

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Black 6 Speed Manual
pghPAtdi said:
OK Dooodes,
Got a failed tensionser today. Not sure how much damage was done.
Where's the booze

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry to hear that! Keep us informed!!

How many miles was on your belt change?

Was this dealer changed or did you use one of the "kits"?

I think that is one of most feared things we all have... EEEK.. I feel sick for ya...

Where did this happen? I just came back from downtown and came through southside...

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
I had it done with the 100k kit from impex on 10/25/03 @ 59k. Now i have 108k.
I was driving to school in shadyside when I first heard it, thought it was the band clamp i had put on the middle exhaust hanger had broke. Parked the car went to class, When i went to drive home i had the window down and heard the racket, I was just outside my place so I coasted in and parked it.
Poped the hood and pulled the TB cover. The belt is loose, I can move the tensioner by hand and I can see the threads on the tensioner shaft. No nut. Found the nut....sitting directly below the tensioner.

*@*#*#&&#%@@**$@**#&&@*#*(!!(&***$!%#*!&&*...... whew

Not sure what to do, it's beyond my experience and tool box

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I'm trying to get it to Mogolf in Ohio. But.....to rent a p/u truck at 60cents/mile for 353 miles is 208.00+truck 20.00+dolly 40.00+fuel for truck.
adds up pretty quick and I havn't even begun to consider the actual damage to the car.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Isn't Metalman closer?If you look under the TDI 101 thread, MechanicalBrew had the same thing happen to him-but his nut punctured the cam seal I believe-it's titled Massive oil leak-he lives in Ohio also-maybe pm him and see what he ends up fixing.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually MM is just over 400 miles return trip and Mogolf is 350. Not really a huge difference really ut I know glen fairly well, so I guess that's why I leaning his way
I will check out Mech-Brew's issue and prepare myself.

tks bob

Dave

TheMadcap

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 1996 Metallic Green
Dave,

Would Metalnerd be able to help you? I know he is in Greensburg but it is a whole lot closer than a 350 mile round trip.

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
He's off to columbus on sunday.
I really think you'll be alright, dave. You know how to listen to a car, and I think it won't be the worst, or even half bad. Good luck

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Let me know what's up. If you need some work done or exchange... I can probably work it out for you on the head. From the sounds of things, you probably have some bent valves and mushroomed lifters. Probably no pistons involved.

If you were closer, I'd come and get it.

Frank

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
P'burg GTG?

I thought that I saw this discussed earlier here in the local thread.

Is anyone hosting a GTG this summer in the Pittsburgh area?

I'm toying with the idea but am not really setup to host a bunch of folks that I don't know.

I could have room to work on 2 or 3 cars at a time (weather permitting) and a 4 post lift, vag-com that I don't use much, air compressor, etc. The end of July (figureing the GF will probably be working overtime and we won't be going to the mountains) would be the best for me.

Can anyone put me at ease about hosting one of these? From strangers in the house alone(rest room) to tool accountability, to sue-ability, etc.
Are there any guidelines anyone can point me to?

I've got some projects on my own car - like brake fluid flush to do. It'll be too soon for my next TB change and auto tranny service.

Feel free to PM me. I check in every few days.

I'm about 35 miles ENE of Pittsburgh, probably 15 miles north of Greensburg. Easy to find. Probably a Saturday would be best for me.

Just thinking out loud here. If I've got a shot at hosting my only chance is the end of this month.

Dave

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Dave got here much later than planned so surgery began much later.

Dave lucked out. I couldn't find any damage. It did have a leaking cam seal (now replaced). I put it back in time as it appeared to be a tooth or two off. Turned by hand several times. The belt made a complete run around. No mechanical interference. Put it all back together. Started it up. It started just like a normal TDI. Checked injector balance (a key to any cylinder being bad because the power output would be off) and found nothing out of the ordinary.

Let it idle a good long bit. Revved it up a little. Drove it up and down the driveway. It runs fine.