Led upgrades

Nrconnelly

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Good afternoon,

New to the forums, did some searching and couldn’t necessarily find an answer. Was looking into upgrading my fog lights to match the hids I have in my headlights. It’s a 2013 golf. Anyone have experience upgrading the fog lights to match? I can look up a bulb guide to figure out which bulb I need. I’m just worried about the new lights throwing bulb out codes. Thanks for your time.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Welcome to TDI.

You cannot just go to any parts supply for bulbs. Some LED bulbs are sold as "CANBUS" compatible.
Which means the have a built in resistor to simulate an incandescent bulb.

You may find these on eBay also.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Two options:

1) Get LED "bulbs" with built in resistor to trick computer, commonly called CAN buss bulbs

2) Change BCM coding so it doesn't check the bulb and you can put whatever bulb you want in the fog lamps.

Jason

PS: do you just want to look cool because your fog lamps match your HID? Or do you want functional fog lamps?

Nrconnelly

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Actual functional fog lamps would be nice. I’m familiar with the “canbuss” technology. I bought some for a previous car I owned, (a gti) and it still threw a code. I was just looking for some specific lights people bought that worked out for them. Thank you for the welcome and replies.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I have found some 3000k halogens for mine that did the intended job of fog lamp, but not much else. The LEDs I've tried usually fall between "looks pretty, but does nothing" and "just there to piss everyone off".

If you're really serious about it, places like Retrofit source will sell you a LED projector module for fog lamps. BTW they can also install it into your housing if you send it to them. I would do that and have the bulb monitoring turned off for the fog lamps.

Jason

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Been through this with another vehicle (not VW).

Bought something cheap, found that it did not do the job. The usual problem with cheap LED replacements is that the beam pattern will not be correct for the task at hand - the really cheap stuff will not even be remotely close. The cheap ones had a beam pattern that was so bad that switching the fog lights on didn't make a discernible difference from the driver's seat ...

Replaced with these ... https://www.xenondepot.com/h16-h8-h11-philips-Ultinon-LED-12793UNIX2-2700K-p/12793unix2.htm

Muuuuch better. Amber/yellow is better for fog lamp applications. These are not cheap.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
DDM Tuning (not affiliated with them) has HID kits that are super affordable and have a lifetime warranty, if you want to get more light from your fog lights. Obviously, you could blind people if you get a ridiculous set, so be smart about it. They have the yellow color ones, commonly referred to as euro or french fog lights. THOSE are the functional ones. Those are the ones that are best for fog and snow and rain and generally bad weather. If you just want the matching color, you can simply snag some LEDs online that are non-error causing bulbs, toss em in and go on with your day.

Nrconnelly

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Excellent, appreciate the replies. I was considering going with the yellowish colored ones but now after the research and recommendations, that’s probably the route I’ll go. Thanks again all.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I did a bit of reading about fog lights and here's what i found (short version):
-Yellow is the best color
-It's not more light, it's where the light goes