Toronto ppl: CEL and Glow plug light blinking help

robere

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2003
Like the subject says, I got off my first day at work and when i started my car the glow plug light was blinking and the CEL (Check Engine Light) was on . . . I had read about it being a burnt out brake light or switch, but both seem to be working fine.

Can anyone in the toronto area with a VAG-COM please help me diagnose this (please email me)

thanks . . .I hope it is not something serious!!!

rwkhan

TDI
Jetta 2001 Sliver
likewise, my car is doing the same thing!!!! did any of u use bio-diesel?(Topia B20)I get this code "17970 - Quantity Adjuster N146: Upper Limit Reached". I just filled up with Bio-diesel Friday night, I drove 100 km.Started the car the Saturday morning...this is when I got the CEL...and flashing glow plug!!!!. Reset same problem!!!!!!

robere

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2003
I filled with Topia B20 yesterday (sunday) . . I drove 100kms to Alliston, and on the way home I got the code . . .I drove with the code for 60kms thinking it was a burnt brake light bulb / switch . . . .I let the car rest for an hour . . .Removed the wiring I had for the 5 brake light MOD (b/c I thought it was something to do with the brake lights), went to start it again, and code is gone-zo!!!
I dunno if it was my removal of the brake light MOD OR the BioD

I'll keep everyone updated . . . I hope it's not the BioD, Or i'm screwed

My car's only got 26000kms

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
If you don't mind a drive to Ajax, I can clear the code for you. If it can wait till next week, I work in Etobicoke and cross the city, so anywhere inbetween is a possibility.

As for the cause, there are several causes of the flashing glow plug light & CEL. The most common is the brake light switch or bulb. But this is also often caused when tuning boxes are installed. Thus the fuel quantity upper limit reached code.

In your cases, it could very well be the B20 causing it. There are several people who have reported problems with the fuel at the Unionville location. Toronto Vento & Smokey are 2 that I know of. I don't think its anything to be concerned about. One of the theories are that there are particles of glycerine in the fuel that are plugging the screen in the pump? Contact Sam at sam@Alternate-NRG.com to see whats up. He is aware of the situation and might be able to provide you with some information.

Last edited:

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
looking for one :/
Well, how wierd is that!? I was in Toronto yesterday and filled up at the Queen St. station with B20 BioDiesel!!!

So now what!?!?

Braindead.

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta,00,silver
Are you serious? I can't believe they would sell crappy biodiesel at the only locations in the Toronto area! That could really damage the reputation of BD.

robere

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2003
Hey wingnut

Thanks for the offer . . . I'll keep you in mind . . . I actually went to the dealer today to figure out what the problem was. The dealer VAGged it and said it was the "Upper limit-fuel injector thing" . . .I told them about the tuning box but NOT the BioD . . .

The dealer cleared the code for me, and it hasn't come back. The dealer said it may come back within a week . . .

I don't know if it is the BioD / Tuning Box combo that did this . . .So for the mean time I've removed the Tuning Box . . . After this tank of BioD, I think I'm going to go back to the Sunoco or Shell . . . I can't worry about VW not paying for a fuel pump failure, if they find out I was running BioD.

So far So good. . . Code cleared . . . For now!!!

RR

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
Well guess what; I had to go to several jobsites today so the car was started several times and by lunchtime the CEL was off!

What's up with that!?!? I don't have any engine mods, but I did fill up with BioD on Sunday

If anyone is going to be at June Jitter Bug this weekend with a VAG-COM, maybe I can enlist your services??

Anyway, this was certainly a strange coincidence dontcha all think!?!?

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
I had this same problem earlier this month, and i don't use biodiesel. The dealer claimed that i needed the ECT replaced, as well as the brake light switch. i got those replaced....the CEL went off...but as soon as i drove about 10 miles down the road...the glow plug light started blinking again.....before my brake light seemed to be working when it was blinking...but now they are not. have to go back to the dealer and raise hell.

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
Well now I don't know *** is going on cuz what's even wierder; is that stupid flashing gp and CEL came on AGAIN this morning and was off by again by lunchtime!?!?!

I wish we didn't have these lights (like the old Mk1 Diesels
).
I'm going to get a friend to VAG it next week and see what we come up with.

rwkhan

TDI
Jetta 2001 Sliver
Here is what i have notice... I start up in the morning 7:30 AM ..CEl and glow plug light blinking after 30 to 60 seconds.I drive to work (100km) reset code and it does not come back until the next morning start up?????? What gives???

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
This was discussed in the other thread in the Biodiesel forums. If there is glycerine in the fuel, it may be causing the problem. I beleive I read where the melting point of glycerine was somewhere around 13* or 14* C. So that might explain why the code appears in the mornings after a cool night, but not in the daytime when the temps are higher. I am no expert, just relaying the info I read in the other thread, I am also going by memory (which is bad BTW), so I may have missed a few things.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>The dealer cleared the code for me, and it hasn't come back. The dealer said it may come back within a week <<

Could you please let us know which dealer, and how much does a code clearing cost these days?

Thanks,

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is what i have noticed... I start up in the morning 7:30 AM ..CEL and glow plug light blinking after 30 to 60 seconds.I drive to work (100km) reset code and it does not come back until the next morning start up?????? What gives???
That is EXACTLY what happens in my car too!!

(However, I only drive 25km to the office, but I am out and about in the field all day and the light usually goes off by lunchtime after several starts.)
What gives indeed!?!??!

Jon_Mutiger

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6sp
Well, I filled up last night at the Unionville B20 station, and I also had the same blinking glowplug light this morning.

Hopefully with a code reset, and a constant flow of Sunoco Gold Diesel this won't happen again. I'm not using BioD anymore.

Jon

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
My car is running like crap and really could use some one with a Vag-com and some time on their hands to help me find what is going on with it so as not to part it to death and my pocket. The dealer where my car is from, well now know one more reason to call them stealer dealers. I work in Scarborough at McCowan and 401 and live in Bradford. Please get back and Thank-you. Have a good day now eh. D2

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
Like I said elsewhere, I filled 2 days ago and 200km later no light, but I'll be looking for it, and I hope the station is aware of the problems.

Hey Diesel2, I live right by that intersection where you work. Where is your office?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
My car is running like crap and really could use some one with a Vag-com and some time on their hands to help me find what is going on with it so as not to part it to death and my pocket. The dealer where my car is from, well now know one more reason to call them stealer dealers. I work in Scarborough at McCowan and 401 and live in Bradford. Please get back and Thank-you. Have a good day now eh. D2
I drive past there on my way to work. If you can meet me around 2pm one day, I can TRY to help you out.