Remote start on a TDI?

NC01NBtdi

TDI
2001 New Beetle Gls 2004 Jetta Gls
My wife just started back to work and a remote start would let the seats start warming, etc. as it gets colder and the a/c have a head start next summer.
Is there a problem with installing one on a tdi? Does brand or features matter in this case?

Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is unwise to let any car sit and "warm up". Bad for the engine. Start the car up, and drive off right away with an easy foot, and try and keep the RPMs above 2000 but below 3000 until the temp gauge begins to move up.

If you live in a cold climate, a coolant preheater may help you out.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Does the remote allow for a delayed starter motor operation? A diesel would benefit from this period during which the glow plugs could pre-heat.
Does that delay (if present) adjust for temperature changes? A longer glow plug operation is needed with colder weather. If the remote has too long a fixed duration starter delay time and warmer (less cold) temperatures are experienced, then the ECU will turn off the glow plugs long before the starter spins. They'd cold again when the starter was finally cranked over.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Frankly I would advice against one.

First it is not really good for any engine to warm up by idleing. The do better by warming up while being driven at conservative speeds for a few miles. Also remember that you need to warm up other parts of the car like the transmission and struts that are temperature sensitive.

In addition there seem to be a large number of reports with problems related to these devices, especially after market versions.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
You DON'T need one - and more knowledgable people gave you all the reasons you don't want one. My electric seats are warm within 5 minutes -and I never run them above 3.

I_KNQW

TDI
gls, 2003, Blue
Get an Oil Heater and plug it in at night. what some people have done up here where it gets really cold is get a space heater and they put that in the car on an extention cord and a timmer, just set the timer an hour before you head to work.

if you do that you oil is warm, the inside is warm and if you have snow or frost on the windows it has melted off, and very quickly your seats and vents will start to warm up when driving.

as for the summer there is a box from www.autowindow.com that has a vent cycle to cool the car by cracking the windows.

stay away from the autostart it is bad for your car and for the environment, also in a lot of cities and states they are becomming illigial becuase of anti-idle laws.

bioduse

Veteran Member
TDI
pumpe duse
NC01NBtdi said:
My wife just started back to work and a remote start would let the seats start warming, etc. as it gets colder and the a/c have a head start next summer.
Is there a problem with installing one on a tdi? Does brand or features matter in this case? Thanks
run out, put the key in and get the seats heated, THEN start the car when you are ready to leave for work, etc . .
don't get locked out though . . . .

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The most obvious reason to not use a remote starter to warm up your TDI is the diesel engine won't generate heat just idling like a gasser. You have to put a load on it...like driving it.

I am ignorant of the products available for warming up the engine coolant as I am from the deep south but check around. I would think if the coolant is warm then it would be a matter of a short time to get the cabin warmed up.

NC01NBtdi

TDI
2001 New Beetle Gls 2004 Jetta Gls
I think I need to duck

I had a feeling that this would bring the soapbox out and everybody has valid points.
The autowindow might work well in the summer and I have an electric outlet near the parking area to plug the block heater on the old mercedes 240d and the 6.2 suburban into but I did not want to put a block heater on this.

My question was really whether any of the remote starts would work on a tdi, (ie. not turn the starter over until the glow plug light goes out).

I was only considering this because my wife was real good about leaving the climate controls in the correct position the night before and only starting the car a few minutes before walking out the door on her previous car.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, if you can work the immobilizer, the door locks, the glow system, and can look the other way on the detrimental effects to the car, sure!

TDI
05 passat tdi
Yes it is possible to install a remote start on a tdi. I have installed one on my whife's 05 passat. You can program the starter for the glow plug delay, automatic start (will start your car at preset time to prevent freez up) and ther's also a turbo cool down mode. It will bypass the antiteft.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I hate most aftermarket stuff like that. Lots of times when I'm tackling a tough electrical problem at work it ends up that the aftermarket stuff is causing the problem or the installation of the aftermarket stuff is causing it.

Frostheater just seems like a better solution.

M

mandrake slink

there is also the awful problem of manuals with auto start being left in gear. A friend of mine parked behind his father while visiting, and after his dad moved it so he could get out of the driveway he didn't put on the E brake. When this friend went to leave, I was there when it happened, he hit the button and two seconds later there was a horrible crash as the car went through the garage door. Not sure if this would be possible with a TDI as this was a gasser, but would hate to find out the hard way.

Dave K.

TDI
2004 Jetta
I installed a remote starter in my Mom's Grand Marque (probably spelled that wrong) about 3 years ago. It was made by Design Tech < designtech-intl.com >. They have models specifically for manual transmission cars so that you can not start the car up in gear. It's actually pretty neat how the manual transmission version works. As others have posted....DO NOT install an automatic transmission version in a manual transmssion car.

They also have models specifically for Diesels. They will not start cranking until after the glow plug light has gone out. Plus they can be programmed for extended cranking if needed. If something goes wrong with the engine and it won't start (waxy fuel, etc) the remote starter stops trying to start the car after 3 attempts. It actually had some other pretty good safety features and options.

The bad news....As mentioned by others, you will probably get very little, if any, heat out of the vents because the engine will not warm-up at an idle. The other bad news, my Mom's remote starter has not been working correctly lately. I have not had a chance to check it out so I can't say whether it's a minor problem or a major problem.

Things to consider.....In the summer, can you leave the AC on and use the remote starter to cool the car off? Cars are a lot different today then they were years ago. In the past, if you left the AC on and started the engine, the AC would come on. Now-a-days cars are full of relays and computers which will shut the AC off anytime the engine is stopped. The AC wil not come on again until you push the button. Follow me?? Also everything I said about the AC system will probably apply to the heated seats. The heated seats may have been on when you last shut the engine off but they will probably not be on when you restart it. That prohibits you from using a remote starter to at least warm up your seats (since the heater in the car won't be doing anything until you drive the car a few miles.

The Frost Heater is probably your best bet. Keep in mind that the Frost Heater is nothing special.....it's just a ZeroStart heater that you can get at NAPA or any good auto parts store. Truck stops have them, farm tractor dealers have, any place that deals with Diesel will have (or can get) them. Go to < zerostart.com > and check them out. The Frost Heater is probably easier to install since it does come with hoses and a mounting bracket (you won't have to figure out where to put it, fabricate brackets, etc) Keep in mind that these tank-type heaters most be installed correctly. There is an "UP" side on them.

Block heaters and tank-type heaters do work pretty good. They will not give you instant heat when you get in the car but the engine cranks much, much easier and the engine does warm up much sooner (read heat out the vents). I have a block heater in my truck (Ford 351 gas engine) and it starts just fine on its own no matter how cold it gets BUT when I use the block heater, starting the engine on a 20 deg. day is like starting the engine on an 80 deg. day.

Now for a question....Do I understand correctly that a TDI does not come from the factory with a block heater? You can't even get one as an option?? In my opinion....that's stupid. Any Diesel should come with a block heater.

Sorry this is long but you guys have been answering my questions and I figured I would give my help in return.

Dave

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
I was going to recommend a frost heater then noted your location... after checking out the forecast:
Sneads Ferry, NC Weather Forecast

11:57 PM EST MON NOV 26 2007​
OVERNIGHT - Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Breezy with lows in the lower 60s. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph.​
TUESDAY - Mostly sunny. A slight chance of showers in the morning. Highs in the upper 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.
TUESDAY NIGHT - Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s. North winds around 10 mph.
WEDNESDAY - Sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. Northeast winds around 10 mph.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT - Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 40s. East winds around 10 mph.
THURSDAY - Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s.
THURSDAY NIGHT - Partly cloudy. Lows in the middle 40s.
FRIDAY - Sunny. Highs in the lower 60s.
FRIDAY NIGHT - Partly cloudy. Lows in the middle 40s.
SATURDAY - Mostly sunny. Highs in the middle 60s.
SATURDAY NIGHT - Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s.
SUNDAY - Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 60s.
SUNDAY NIGHT - Mostly cloudy. Lows in the middle 40s.
MONDAY - Partly sunny. Highs in the middle 60s.

I'm a bit puzzled... save your money and buy her a sweater for Christmas.

Note this message is sent by a Canadian and may contain sarcasm.

Cheers,

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
LMAO.. yeah after looking at that forcast I have to agree with the Canadian here... Get a sweater... Think about a frostheater when you go out in the morning and it's 4 degrees out... 40-60 degrees? yeah bundle up a little more...

Side note, yes there are a few remote starters that will work fine with the diesel and manual transmission... They have a delay programmed in for the glowplugs..