TDI Remote Start??

MichManTDI

TDI
2005 Passat, Reflex Silver
Does anyone know if a remote car starter can be used with the TDI engine? I have a '05 Passat TDI w/the 2.0. I used the remote start in my previous 1.8T Jetta, but I wasn't sure if there were any reasons you can't use one on a TDI (besides waiting for the glow plug in the winter, but they make a delay feature on them). Any thoughts??

Thanks!

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
Welcome to the forum!
Have a quick look on the TDI FAQ
You will understand why the remote starter doesn't have much sense on a TDI engine.

MichManTDI

TDI
Thanks, but all that says is that most remote car starters don't have a provision for the glow plugs in cold weather. This one does have a delay feature that waits for them. Other than that, does anyone know of any other reasons you shouldn't use one on a TDI?

Thanks

MichManTDI

TDI
I'm new to this TDI thing....so they don't warm up when idleing? Is that true with all diesel vehicles, or something specific to TDI's? It comes in handy once in a while in the summer, too, with the A/C (that black leather can get HOT!). So, basically, is it a waste of time and money for me to get a remote start put in?

Thanks

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
Looks like you didn't bother to take a look on the link I sent you

Here is one more specific
In the summer makes more sense to have the car cooled down, but there are other down sides (all written in TDI FAQ
)

TDIheater compu_85 mentioned is your way to go in the cold winter days in case you want instant heat.

MichManTDI

TDI
Actually I did, but just the part specific to the remote starter. So I guess the only advantage to the remote start would be the bunwarmers. Thank for the info.