Difference between 03 ALH Jetta Wagon and 01 ALH Golf Mileage

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
This is probably a bit of a dumb thread but I'm looking for some real world input here. The only real difference in the cars should be the curb weight (and some minor drag differences?), but I'm wondering how much of an increase in fuel consumption I would see upgrading from my Golf to a Jetta Wagon. I could use the extra space, but I also driving about 40-50k kms (25-35k miles give or take) per year. Real world miles/tank input would be great, especially from someone whos owned both cars. I think the Jetta Wagon has a bigger tank though.

Anyways....thoughts/input?

EDIT: Info from MSN.com

2000 Golf TDI

Exterior Dimensions & Weight

Number of Doors 4
Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 2994
Curb Weight - Manual (lb.) 2944
Wheelbase (in.) 98.90
Length (in.) 163.30
Width (in.) 68.30
Height (in.) 56.70
Track Front (in.) 59.60
Track Rear (in.) 58.80
Ground Clearance (in.) 3.90
Passenger Volume (cu. Ft) 88
Cargo Volume (cu Ft.) 18

Fuel Economy

City (mpg) 34 - 42
Highway (mpg) 45 – 49

Fuel Tank 14.5 Gal (US Gal I’m assuming)
Drag Coefficient - .31

2003 Jetta Wagon TDI

Exterior Dimensions & Weight

Number of Doors 4
Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3214
Curb Weight - Manual (lb.) 3161
Wheelbase (in.) 99.00
Length (in.) 173.60
Width (in.) 68.30
Height (in.) 58.50
Track Front (in.) 59.60
Track Rear (in.) 58.80
Ground Clearance (in.) 5.20
Passenger Volume (cu. Ft) ?????
Cargo Volume (cu Ft.) ??????

Fuel Economy

City (mpg) 34 - 42
Highway (mpg) 45 – 50

Fuel Tank ??????
Drag Coefficient - .30 (from what I saw online)

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You'd be splitting hairs. The moon's position relative to your place on the planet during your drive would probably have just as great an influence, if all else was equal.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Same tank... (you're thinking of the 1996/7 Passat Wagons... those can go as far as your bank account will permit you to fill the tank...)

Actually, the VW / government specs show the Wagon with slightly better fuel economy... make that very slightly better fuel economy... We have an '03 wagon, driven by my wife, Mrs. Leadfoot, and an '01 Golf... the wagon gets slightly better mileage... Of course, we carry a lot of junk ^H^H^H^H stuff in both cars, and they have different "chips" in them... different tires, etc.

Don't worry about it... if you can find a nice 02-03 wagon for a decent price (and in decent shape), get it... Oh, be sure to get the timing belt system changed properly as soon as you get the car... almost a rule of thumb around here...

Good luck,

Yuri

Last edited:

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
So the extra 200 pounds has little to no affect on the mileage? (I thought it would be a greater difference in weight between the 2 to be honest) I guess that makes sense given they're both built off the same platform, and share almost identical exterior dimensions (same-ish drag properties and the like).

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I think the ALH wagon carried the highest EPA estimates of any TDI sold in the USA.

oilhammer

TDI
I think the ALH wagon carried the highest EPA estimates of any TDI sold in the USA.
By 1 hwy MPG, with the old rating system. Again, splitting hairs.

200 pounds won't make a difference. You have to load 4 fat chicks in the car to notice much at all. I hooked a '73 Beetle to the back of my '98 Jetta and it dropped from 48 to 42. A '73 Beetle weighs about as much as 8 fat chicks.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I've had both and the difference between my 2001 golf and my 2003 wagon has consistantly been 2mpg seasonally. with the wagon being lower.

I did recently change my thermostat in the wagon, and havent had mny first fillup since, so cannot tell you if that helped or not. (yet)

oilhammer

TDI
I've had both and the difference between my 2001 golf and my 2003 wagon has consistantly been 2mpg seasonally. with the wagon being lower.

I did recently change my thermostat in the wagon, and havent had mny first fillup since, so cannot tell you if that helped or not. (yet)
...and both of those cars have had other differences as well. Software, wheels, etc. Again, splitting hairs. That 2 MPG difference could just as easily come from the tires or the MAF.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
A higher kerb weight will affect city driving more then highway driving since there are more stops and starts.

Wksg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI Wagon
Dunno about the sedan, but I've got up to 64 mpg in my '03 wagon! Over the last 30K miles, I'm averaging about 55 mpg with the mods in my signature and a flat long highway commute.

I usually run it about 40-80 miles after the low fuel light comes on and put in 16.0 to 16.8 gallons. They say the tank capacity is 17 to 17.2 gallons, but I don't want to find out what it is the hard way.

I'd be surprised if there is much difference fuel economy-wise between the wagon and sedan. The wagon has those roof racks and I would guess it's a little less aerodynamic overall.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
My Mk4 golf is a wagon/estate and it's cavernous. Just thought I'd add that for no apparent reason :D

mazot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
2003 Wagon - Automatic - 80K plus miles

Best mileage: 47 (Boston - NY City trip)
Worst mileage: 34 (city driving)
Overall average: 39

M.

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
fat chicks ?

200 pounds won't make a difference. You have to load 4 fat chicks in the car to notice much at all. I hooked a '73 Beetle to the back of my '98 Jetta and it dropped from 48 to 42. A '73 Beetle weighs about as much as 8 fat chicks.
You mean I can still get 40 or better
MPG with 4 fat chicks. This I have to try!!

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
You mean I can still get 40 or better
MPG with 4 fat chicks. This I have to try!!
The trouble is, if you strap them onto the roof-rack, it ruins the aerodynamics.

The interesting thing is that I used to be able to do better P&G with a heavier vehicle (my old Passat). This current car does do very good MPG overall, but P&G only makes a small difference. The trouble is that it's so light (aluminium body etc) that the momentum drops too quickly, and the glide phase is too short.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

I'll let you know what that MPG difference is. :D

macdoneri1

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic Transmission
Mine has 217000kms (give or take) and the average I'm getting 37MPG mainly highway driving. I've changed the MAF sensor, changed all the filters as suggested, use synthetic oil, tire pressure is good and put new glow plugs and wiring harness on. At 1.36$/L for fuel, I'm thinking of selling.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, yours is an automatic, right? So you'd expect something like that (give or take) given that it's using a slushbox.

The other big variable for highway driving is your highway cruising speed. What is your normal peak speed?

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Mine has 217000kms (give or take) and the average I'm getting 37MPG mainly highway driving. I've changed the MAF sensor, changed all the filters as suggested, use synthetic oil, tire pressure is good and put new glow plugs and wiring harness on. At 1.36$/L for fuel, I'm thinking of selling.
You might .want to check your thermostat mine was reading 165 and the guage was showing 190.

VividDreams

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW GOLF

Hahahaha. Sorry, funny analogy I wouldn't have thought of... Made me giggle.

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
The fuel economy on an 8 year old car could vary quite a bit from a new one. My 02 Golf w/ 190K miles went from a lifetime average of 46 mpg, and a recent average of 44 mpg, to a 5 tank avg of 50 mpg after I changed all the vacuum hoses, replaced a faulty vacuum check valve and turbo actuator. Point is, same model, same driver, 6 mpg difference. Timing and EGR state are also reported to affect economy.