replaced turbo now no boost and thick smoke

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW stock:Totaled 2000 black Golf gls 315K : retired
Hey guys, I had my turbo fail at highway speed a couple weeks ago. I finally got the new turbo put in tonight.... I double checked everything as I went, but now I started it up and let it run for a minute or two (to make sure the turbo got lubed up prior to actually driving it), the engine sounds normal but I am getting 0 boost and driving around the block I smoked out all my neighbors and the car is now a quart of oil low!!! I will change clothes again go look at it agian to make sure I didnt goof up an oil line or something.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should start? In my thought process if I have an engine that idles and I can drive the car.... then the engine shouldnt be bad.... is it possible the turbo was defective, or did I do something wrong and ruin the turbo?

If the turbo was/is bad that would explain the rapid drop in oil and the lack of boost, but this is a brand new Garrett (not rebuilt) so it doesnt seem likely that the turbo was bad out of the box :( but I know it can happen.

Bill

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Did you leave the car sitting long enough for all the oil to return to the sump/oil pan before checking?

Regarding the lack of boost I reckon you've missed something, not sure what but it has to be. I don't suppose you have anything to scan for codes with? That might help narrow it down.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Please read this site's 101 items to find the cause for no boost.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
I do have a Vag Com, so I can hook it up but have no clue what to look for.... I was just outside and found that there is a spray of oil in the driveway approximatly where the tailpipe is, and now in the garage there is a small (about 2"x4") puddle of oil directly under the tailpipe.... Is it possible I missed something on the install and this is just residual oil in the exaust from the failed turbo?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Your exhaust is going to smoke like a mofo after a grenaded turbo.

Any rags stuck in any pipes?

If you hook vacuum straight to the turbo actuator you should get full boost and set limp mode for exceeding requested.

Where are you in the cities?

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Your exhaust is going to smoke like a mofo after a grenaded turbo.

Any rags stuck in any pipes?

If you hook vacuum straight to the turbo actuator you should get full boost and set limp mode for exceeding requested.

Where are you in the cities?
I only used paper towels to clean out the intercooler so there shouldnt be any rags stuffed any place but thats a great idea and I will look.

I kinda assumed it would smoke like a mofo, it has to burn of all the oil that was dumped into the exaust, but what has me worried is that it dropped a quart in less than a 1/2 mile...... I suppose I could have needed to let it sit a little longer to let the oil drop into the sump before I checked it.

I am up in Brooklyn Park, so NW burbs.

Let me double check all the vacuum lines between the turbo, n75 and dawes to make sure they are correct. But even if they were incorrect I would think I would get a little bit of boost showing on my gauge.

Bill

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
OK I really am a moron sometimes. I double checked things and found that either the vacuum line that moves the turbo actuator either fell off or I forgot to connect it... I dont remember connecting it so it is 100% possible I forgot to hook it up.... after a 20 miles drive the car is smoking MUCH less, I have good responce from the turbo, and it is not using oil (I must have checked it too soon so it was actually low but looked fine). So all in all the car feels back to normal, I will report back after taking it to work tomorrow.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Ha I knew it was most likely human error, ask me how I know lol.