5 speed Manual Tranny Fluid level

Jwagen04

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, '04, Shadow Blue
I was doing my 20k service last night, and one of the items to check is the fluid level on the manual transmission. I could not find the tell-tale fluid level plug anywhere. It's not like there are any leaks, so I'm pretty sure that the fluid hasn't gone anywhere, but I would like to check just for peace of mind sake. I know that there have been cases of certain fluid levels being low from the factory. I figure it can wait until next week when I have time to mess with. I need to order that Bentley manual everyone keeps talking about. Pics would be good, but I’ll take a description of where it is located as well.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
It's easy to locate...it's a 17mm hex on the transmission housing which would face the radiator....it sits on a vertical surface...it's easy to spot. (I am assuming the PD location is the same as the earlier cars.)

Jwagen04

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, '04, Shadow Blue
Thanks, dieseldorf. I'll have a look at it tonight and see if I can find it. Yes, I would assume that the tranny is unchanged for the PD engine as well, but I hate to assume anything.