Remote won't unlock passenger or rear doors

harken

TDI
04 Passat wagon
I recently changed the battery and now the remote will not unlock either the passenger or rear doors. Will unlock the drivers side door and rear hatch (wagon). There is the familiar dlicking sound like it is working, but doors do not unlock. Power switch on drivers side console will unlock doors. Any ideas,

Thanks

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
What year, and model? Mine is 2005 Passat and the remote was dead when I got my car. I installed a new battery in remote and the only response I get is the red led on the remote comes on when I push the 3 buttons. I have the VCDS and tried to program the remote with no success. The instructions are not the best for my simple mind. I need very plain directions, step by step. I'll keep an eye on your notes. Same problem. Thanks. I like my used Passat.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Is it the same as the Mk4 golf where the default setting is that you have to press the unlock button twice to unlock all doors or once for just the drivers door?

If so I'm sure that's just a vagcom setting

hysterwv

Veteran Member
Harken, I'm not in a place to look it up, but there's a procedure for this. Did you try searching? I can't recall precisely, but it was something like put the key in ignition, turn to acc, then push the unlock button.

harken

TDI
04 Passat wagon
Thanks for all the replies. A couple of clarifications....the car battery was changed, not the remote battery. It is a 2004 passat wagon. Ususal procedure is to press twice to unlock the passenger/rear doors. hysterwv, I'll give your procedure a try.

Thanks again

harken

TDI
04 Passat wagon
Found the fix...just had to unlock/lock the doors on the passengers side using passengers side switch. Remote now will unlock them.

TDI
Jetta MK3 1999
I have the same identical problem with my Jetta Wagon 03 TDI.
I had to boost the battery last week and now I have the same situation.
I will try the passenger's side switch tonight and update you.
Thanks for the Heads Up.

JerryKib

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2001, black; Passat SW, 2004, blue
We were also having the unlocking problem on the front passenger side door. I just tried your suggestion on our 2004 Passat wagon. It seems to have worked.

indysoto

Veteran Member
Reset Key Fob unlock all doors including Drivers door by mucking about?!

Let Me Be sure I have this Procedure down..
If you have 2 good keys
VW/AUDI/SEAT/SKODA

Remote Control Programming (1997 ON)

Procedure
1. Switch Ignition ON and leave the key in the ignition.

2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second
key.

3. Using the remote control press the Unlock button once, and the horn
will sound once.

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate the coding
procedure. The remote control will now be programmed.

NOTE : When performing programming on additional remotes the procedure
is the same, except you press the unlock button 2, 3 or 4 times for the
different remote.

For example : If programming 2 remotes press the unlock button twice with
a 1 second interval between each press, repeat for 3 and 4 remotes.

5. Switch Ignition OFF.

6. Remove key from ignition and check for operation.

7. The coding procedure can be repeated up to 4 times for additional remotes.

8. The ignition must be switched OFF between programming each remote
control.

Remote Control Erasing (1997 ON)

Procedure
1. Switch Ignition ON and leave the key in the ignition.

2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second
key.

3. Press the remote control unlock button 5 times in 1 second intervals.
A short horn will sound.

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate memory
erase.

5. Switch ignition OFF, all remotes are now erased.

Models Covered:
Ã'· Lupo
Ã'· Polo
Ã'· Golf
Ã'· Bora
Ã'· Passat
Ã'· Sharan (Only Mk2 models as far as I know though)
Source:
You also need to go here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.ph...
the internet in this instance is your friend, you need to join up and discuss your problem with the board members specifically for your car. Hope I led you in the right direction anyways. Hope this helped.

Last edited:

indysoto

Veteran Member
Did not work Unlock and all doors unlock not working

And That procedure in a 2003 Passat did not work...
fiddling around with passenger door did not produce any result.. Time for the VCDS to scan comfort controll module
and then probably this ingenious reset by Jettscuba..

Hi, I know this is an old thread.

I just had a Polo TDI where the lock button worked, the boot button worked, but the unlock not. Scanned the comfort module, checked and reprogrammed the keys, no luck.

Then I put a new battery in, no luck.

Then I shorted the + and - battery terminals on the pcb inside the keyfob (battery removed please!), put the old battery in, and it worked. Same for the second remote. Happy client! After he had a frustrating and potentially expensive trip to the dealers - they wanted to sell him new keys - okay, it probably would have solved the issue too...

I suspect a latched-up condition occured inside both keyfobs.

(VCDS Hex + CAN, ALH/AHF tools, BRM/BEW tools)

Last edited:

indysoto

Veteran Member
Hi, I know this is an old thread.

I just had a Polo TDI where the lock button worked, the boot button worked, but the unlock not. Scanned the comfort module, checked and reprogrammed the keys, no luck.

Then I put a new battery in, no luck. Jettascuba

Then I shorted the + and - battery terminals on the pcb inside the keyfob (battery removed please!), put the old battery in, and it worked. Same for the second remote. Happy client! After he had a frustrating and potentially expensive trip to the dealers - they wanted to sell him new keys - okay, it probably would have solved the issue too...

I suspect a latched-up condition occured inside both keyfobs.

(VCDS Hex + CAN, ALH/AHF tools, BRM/BEW tools)

gotsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
`04 passat tdi
had dead car battery,then doors would not lock.read the above post for fix.wah-la did the fix and now have my door locks back!!!

indysoto

Veteran Member
had dead car battery,then doors would not lock.read the above post for fix.wah-la did the fix and now have my door locks back!!!
Glad it helped...Short procedure worked for restoring my Gf's 2003 passat 1.8t 5spd key functions too!!

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I just programmed the remote on my B5.5 following battery replacement. Follow directions in the owners manual and don't use the valet key in the ignition when doing it. Put it in the door if you don't have two masters to do the programming. The number of doors activated has nothing to do with the remote. That's set in the module and changed in VCDS. I've also had a remote die along with its battery so watch for that. The manual switch on the passenger doors is a quirk that indeed does work. It must remind the module that there are four doors!

Last edited:

Macgyverman

TDI
MK6 Golf Wagon
Just FYI, I had this happen ... trunk would unlock and doors would lock, but lights would not come on on the remote under any button press. This was happening with both remotes. Replace both batteries, problem fixed.

swacapt

TDI
2005 Passat wagon
I also recently changed the car battery and then had key-fob unlock issues. The fobs would lock the doors, unlock the trunk, and ONLY unlock the drivers door. I tried the passenger door switch (at first to no avail) but then turned the ignition switch to accessory and then cycled the passenger door again. All key fob functions work now.

Oxley

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Found the fix...just had to unlock/lock the doors on the passengers side using passengers side switch. Remote now will unlock them.
Not sure how the problem with mine started (passenger and rear doors unlocking), but this was the fix. Thank you

VWTDIdriver

TDI
'03 Golf TDI & '06 Jetta TDI
I just used the "unlock the passenger door with switch on that door" procedure...and it worked...lol!!
I had the same problem. I had just washed and vacuumed out my '03 Golf TDI and lost the ability to unlock any doors except the driver's door with either of the 2 remotes. I thought it was dying batteries, but when I put my tester on the batteries...3V each. I checked this thread and used the passenger door lock solution and voila...the fob now unlocks all doors with 2 pushes of the unlock button! Previously it had worked flawlessly.
For the sake of dummies like me, here is the process I followed...
Get in the car on the passenger's side after unlocking all doors with the driver's door button. Unlock the driver's door with the remote then unlock the passenger's door with the button on the door. The remote will now unlock the driver's door with one push of the unlock button and the rest of the doors with 2 pushes of the unlock button. It will lock all doors and engage the alarm with a single push of the lock button.
It must be a VW...lol! I love it...lol!
It is also my 1st post...for what it matters. This webpage has solved a lot of my issues and provided solutions for them many times! It is an invaluable resource...so I signed up...lol! I am in love with TDI's, even if they are a bit finicky and can cost a bit of cash to repair. Good to know there are others like me who enjoy and can better afford to work on their own VW's! I am not a mechanic but can get around most vehicles and I think I am a bit handy! It is good to learn from others who share the same passion for TDI's and can be a money saver as well! Thanks for all the help everyone...and keep on driving!

talwoasp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
6.5 years later and this topic is still relevant. :)
Sometime in 2018, my FOB stopped unlocking the doors. It would still lock the doors and unlock the trunk. I finally got tired of it and found this topic today.
Several permutations of the passenger door unlock did nada. I popped it open, used canned air and alcohol-dampened cloth to clean (amazing how much dust gets inside and in crevices), removed the battery and tested with multimeter, shorted the positive/negative terminals and re-assembled. It functions normally now.