What does the I in TDI stand for?

searchmont

TDI
Jetta, 1997, red
What does the I in TDI stand for ? TDI = Turbo Diesel Injection or is the I stand for intercooled.

The reason i ask is because i came across this site http://www.vwpartscentral.com/vwparts/jsp/index.jsp and when you choose 1997 ... they list a Jetta III TDI Diesel 96-99 and a Jetta TD (Canada) 93-99.

My car I assume being the latter of the two because it was purchased originally in canada, does this mean I only have the turbo and the diesel ... without the injection?

I know it must be injected ... so maybe the I stands for intercooled, because it doesn't look like i've got an intercooler, unless i just don't know what i'm looking at.

whats the deal

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
You were right on your first sentence! They first TDI was the the 97 Jetta III and it was available until 99 when VW came out with the A4
the 93-99 Jetta TD is an IDI Indirect injection and no intercooling I believe that model was 70 HP

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
TDI = Turbo Direct Injection engine code in 1997 was 1Z
TD = Turbo Diesel (IDI design) Engine code in 1997 was AAZ

The AAZ TD was the older In-Direct Injection diesel sister to the original Rabbit 1.5L diesel. The engine progressed into a 1.6L diesel (1588cc) and then into the 1.9L (1898cc) engine using the same head design and boost compenstated injection pump. The 1Z TDI for the most part used the same block as the AAZ with the primary changes being digital engine control and a new electronic controlled injection pump. In 1998 the 1Z was converted to a higher pressure pump and newer injectors along with a KO3-006 turbocharger and redesignated the AHU TDI. Also in 1998 the AHU pump carried over to the ALH TDI which was a completely redesigned block that used for the most part the same head design of the original 1Z/AHU TDI. The Turbo was upgraded to the VNT series turbo, the ALH was first released in the 1998 New Beetle...

DB

brenner

Veteran Member
TDI
1960 mercedes benz 180db2001 jetta gls tdi silver,2000 golf gls tdi,2002 dodge 3/4 cummins ho souped up
the 1Z engine was changed over to AHU in 7/97 ,the 1Z was introduced in 11/93(deutschland),the AGR/ALH/AHF engines were introduced in 9/97,the AGP engine was introduced 11/97 in germany if anybody cares.TDI=TURBODIESEL-DIRECTEINSPRIZER (direct injection)

ryanr

TDI
none yet
Hi all, diesel noob here.

This thread seems to almost answer my question. I am looking into getting a jetta diesel and I was told to get one from 92-96 (i believe) that is one before they started coming with Electronic fuel injection.

Does anyone know the year (in Canada) that it was switched over to electronic fuel injection?

thanks.

(Or a recommended year to buy.)