Right decision???

Mitch K

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black 240k miles
Hello all,
I just purchased my first diesel approx two weeks ago. I picked up a 2001 Jetta GLS TDI with 7600 miles on it. I love the car!!! However it has not been without its share of problems already. To start, the MIL came on about one hour after I drove off the lot. I did not purchase it from a VW dealer. It came from one of the rental car dealers. It was supposed to be a trade in. Anyway. I called the place where I purchased it and told them the MIL light was on. they contacted the local VW dealer and arranged for it to be repaired. I had already contacted VWoA and registered as the new owner. This was to verify that there was still a factory warranty on it and what it covered, among other things. I took it to the dealer who worked on it for a couple of hours, stating that they had to re-pin the turbo??? the car ran great for approx 1 week. I had to make my first long trip in it to Northern California (about 600 miles). About one hour from my destination, the MIL came on again and I lost power. The car still ran, but it didn't have much power. Since it was Sunday, there wasn't much choice but to drive it back home. I had already checked the engine so there wasn't any obvious mechanical problems. After I arrived home, I contacted the VW dealer, and told them that the MIL light had come on again and that I needed to get it serviced as I have another trip scheduled for this weekend. They got me in the next day 12-31-02. Later that day they called me to tell me that they had indeed found some trouble codes, but they didn't know what they meant, and that they had a call into VW tech support. At this time I'm getting a little anxious as wether or not these guys were competent to work on a diesel. They said they should have the car ready by today 1-02-02. Late this morning, they called and informed me that they had discovered that the turbo was failing and had to be replaced. I asked when that would be. they told me that if UPS delivered it in the morning,( it was expressed out today) they would have it back to me the afternoon 1-03-02. At this point, I must say that my experience with this dealer has been quite good. It has not cost me a cent, and the turbo was being replaced under warranty( without any reluctance). When I originally purchased the car, it was at night and I missed a 50 cent size spot on the front passenger quarter panel where the clearcoat had seperated from the base coat. I showed this to the service manager who promptly gave me the number of the shop that they have their body work done at and sent me to get a bid, which was promptly approved. As soon as I get the car back, I am supposed to make an appointment to get the front quarter repainted. So other than the car being in the shop twice in as many weeks, I am impressed with the dealership. I guess the only question I now have, is this car going to be constantly in the garage? Did I make a mistake buying this car? I guess only time will tell. I've read so many horror stories on the and other forums that I now question wether buying this car was the right decision. I made the decision to purchase the diesel based on the fuel economy and life span, but if it turns into a maintenance nightmare, then its not worht it. I am a fairly good mechanic and have good eletronics knowledge. I already plan on getting the VAG-COM interface to do my own future diagnostics/repairs. I guess the question I am asking, is should I keep the car or start looking for something else. Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks
Mitch

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Mitch, that's too bad to suffer so much BS on such a new car. It almost sounds like you are having a MAF failure.

If you get VAGCOM soon (instead of later), you can read the codes and perhaps offer to train their shop mechanics!

Also, how has the turbo failed on a new car. I can almost hear a tune: "'tis the season to bill VWoA for another un-needed repair...fa la la la..."

Oh, well. At least it's not on your dime.

Welcome and I hope they can get the car sorted out for you. They are very good machines...really.

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by Mitch K:
(stuff clipped)
When I originally purchased the car, it was at night and I missed a 50 cent size spot on the front passenger quarter panel where the clearcoat had seperated from the base coat. I showed this to the service manager who promptly gave me the number of the shop that they have their body work done at and sent me to get a bid, which was promptly approved.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Mitch,

Yes I think you did make the right choice. I have a 2001 Jetta TDI GLS and am very happy with it.

I have one question for you. What did your paint defect look like?

Mitch K

TDI
Dieseldorf,
Thanks for the reply and positive comments.

Snowman
Thanks for the positive reply. The paint failure was that the clearcoat over the black base coat had actually seperated and a piece the size of a half dollar had actually broken off. That left the black base coat exposed and the edge of the broken clearcoat continuing to seperate from the base coat. I think it was in the late 1980's that Chevy had a major problem with it on their cars. Some times it is caused by a bad batch of paint, most other is the introduction of some contaminate getting on the base coat prior to the clear being applied. Any type of silicon based product can really ruin a paint job and the only way to fix it is to strip the paint off and start over. Just ask any paint and body man about silicone spray and watch them cringe.

Thanks
Mitch

Mitch K

TDI
All,
Well the plot thickens. I just got off the phone with the dealer service manager. He told me the parts didn't arrive today. He said the soonest would now be on Monday. Thats almost one week since I took it in. I'm beginning to think that they are holding my car hostage
. I am trying to keep a good attitude, but I really wanted to do a road trip with it this weekend. Oh well I guess I'll just have to drive the old Geo Metro
. Anyway thanks for some place to vent my frustrations.

Mitch

Sqinky

Just my $.02 on this topic...The parts thing is an on-going situation with VWoA. My brother is a Customer Service Manager in a large body shop in SLC, UT that is part of a national chain (based in Minneapolis) and they allways have a difficult time getting body parts from VWoA for both shops he works at in SLC. I can't see that mechanical parts would be any diffrent. You know what they say...Parts is Parts (especially when the same parts dept is shipping out both kinds). I dropped my '03 Golf off on a Thursday, the parts were ordered Friday morning and were being overnighted as I was on vacation and needed the repair done by the next Wednesday so I could make it back to Reno on Friday (I really did not need to be home until Saturday night). The parts did not arrive until Tuesday (rear bumper and associated parts) and I ended up getting my car back on Thursday afternoon, good as new. Ended up driving it to Vegas Thursday afternoon and home to Reno on Saturday.

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
The problem you're describing sounds like a MAF failure to me.

My MAF failed at ~24000 km, and did what you are describing, CIL on and no power. Couldn't rev the engine past 2500 rpm.

But on the bright side, the dealer is uncommly being nice, and it's not costing you a cent. Plus, you're getting a brand new turbo at no cost (needed or not)

Also, VW are not the most reliable cars out there.