No fuel no start no go!!!

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Good morning guys! Hey I need some advice about my 04 Jetta Tdi. It ran like a charm yesterday with the exception of stalling off once, but cranked it for a lil bit and it ran fine for 100 miles.. This morning it started hard, cranked for awhile etc but I finally got it goin, but when I came back out of the house to leave it wasn't running.. :(if I crank it long enough it will start and run for 10 seconds or so and shut off again, seems like its not getting the fuel. cranks fast, and I can here the fuel flowing when the pump in the tank starts but it refuses to keep running.. A fuel pump issue possibly?!:confused: ive been having some trouble with intermittent hard starts for a little while, doesn't seem to be getting the fuel like it should. any helps appreciated its sitting right in the middle of my drive....

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
DanG144 has an excellent thread on troubleshooting the PD fuel system. You need to check if you are getting fuel to the engine by pulling a fuel line and cycling the key to on.

Or it could be the crank sensor or it's wiring.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
I checked for fuel at the filter, I pulled off one of the lines and theres plenty of flow coming through the filter for like a second or after you turn the key on. is there somewhere else I should be checking for fuel or do we go for the crank sensor possibility?

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I checked for fuel at the filter, I pulled off one of the lines and theres plenty of flow coming through the filter for like a second or after you turn the key on. is there somewhere else I should be checking for fuel or do we go for the crankcase sensor possibility?
Dan's thread outlines the testing procedure.

Does the tach read when you crank? If not, then there is a crank sensor circuit problem. Maybe the sensor, maybe the wiring.