Anyone ever repaired the roof antenae?

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat tdi, 1996 Passat B4V
I am on my 3rd one now and it has gone. Tempted to put an antenae on the fender like the old rabbit. ANyone ever attempted to repair one?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Highly unlikely that a repair can be done, most likely would need a replacement. Which involves removing the headliner.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Three roof antennas???? You buying Cheap china stuff?
That's exactly what I was going to say. I replaced my B3V original antenna because it didn't have a gasket and the gaskets are NLA, installed a Mk2 base that I did have a gasket for and it's been working since early 2016.

Never actually heard of a roof antenna going bad TBH.

Steve

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
Antenae

I have replaced them with ones from the autowrecker. Just wonder if anyone had ever had anyluck on the small circuit board. Gaskets look fine.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks for the info, the application list is weird, it doesn't cover B4's or any Mk3 cars (according to Ellis VW) but the part number is a Mk3 #. That's very strange.

I will see if I can get one, but according to ECS tuning it's NLA, I'd bet that if I go and order it it'll come up NLA too from Ellis.

Steve

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I've done it, so can confirm it fits the B4 antenna. I ordered mine straight from the VW dealer.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I Googled the kit number and found just the gasket on Amazon... pretty cheap at $6. I don't need one, but it's worth a shot and I have plenty of o-rings. Obviously aftermarket.

-Todd

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
re B4 antenae

It is not the gasket that I need. There used to be a post on Vortex how to repair the base unit. MY gasket is good. I was hoping one of the experts had repair one.

Anyone have a good used antenae for sale?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I Googled the kit number and found just the gasket on Amazon... pretty cheap at $6. I don't need one, but it's worth a shot and I have plenty of o-rings. Obviously aftermarket.

-Todd
Did the same Todd, found gaskets on Amazon for cheap. I will probably try a few.

As for repair, I don't know how one would repair the antenna base TBH, it's kind of a sealed unit deal.

Steve